• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 WoodyChuck OFFLINE  

WoodyChuck
  • Member No: 83094
  • 14 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted May 23, 2016 - 08:48 AM

I picked up an old cub cadet runs rough and has black smoke when it runs I had to clean the carb and the spark plug. I tried adjusting the carb but it still doesn't run great any tips on getting the carb adjusted better?

#2 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,898 posts

Posted May 23, 2016 - 01:52 PM

did you adjust the correct screws?  How exactly did you clean the carb? Complete disassembly or just a shot of aerosol carb cleaner? Set the  float? Replace needle and seat? is throttle shaft wobbley in carb casting?

More info needed

• WoodyChuck said thank you

#3 olds45512 ONLINE  

olds45512
  • Member No: 77943
  • 609 Thanks
  • 349 posts

Posted May 23, 2016 - 02:33 PM

I would bet money that the head gasket is blown, the old Kohler's are prone to it because the block is iron and the head is aluminum so they expand at different rates. I'd remove the head and tru it, you can either have a machine shop do it or do it yourself with a big piece of sandpaper on a piece of glass. While the head is off you need to scrape the carbon off the piston with a razor blade, anytime I have a head off I always like to remove and clean the valve so I don't have to worry about them sticking open when they get hot. Once the head is trued and everything is cleaned up you need to reinstall the head with a new gasket, I recommend only using the genuine Kohler gasket as the aftermarket ones don't seem to last. Once it's back together and torqued down you'll need to run it for 10 minute to get it hot, once it's hot shut it off and allow the engine to cool completely then retorque the head.

Edited by olds45512, May 23, 2016 - 03:07 PM.

• WoodyChuck said thank you

#4 WoodyChuck OFFLINE  

WoodyChuck
  • 14 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted May 25, 2016 - 08:32 AM

I cleaned the float out and that was full of gunk the gas sat in it for 3 years before I got my hands on it it ran then wouldn't start so I cleaned it out again. Each time it runs better and doesn't smoke anymore.

#5 WoodyChuck OFFLINE  

WoodyChuck
  • 14 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted May 25, 2016 - 08:40 AM

I adjusted the screws according to factory settings and moved them from there to get it running better. I cleaned the carb with just a shot of aerosol carb cleaner and set the float. I did not replace needle and seat. And the throttle shaft is good