#1 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,491 Thanks
  • 4,947 posts

Posted May 23, 2016 - 07:30 AM

I have an Stihl MS290 I got used last year. Would barely run when I got it last year. Took carb apart and inner screen was plugged full of sawdust, not sure how it all got in there. Anyway, got it running decent, then stumbled across doing a muffler mod to help it run better, then tuned accordingly. IT runs good but after running for 10-15mins, it starts shutting down on me, bogging and then dying. I thought I fixed it and it appeared to be a vacuum lock with the gas cap, relieved pressure, but still will not keep running. I've played endlessly with fuel screws, but can't seem to keep it running right. It has fresh made gas in it too.

Did I screw it up with the muffler mod ( drilled holes in the restrictor plate)?

Should I clean carb again?

I've got 5 chainsaw and can't get any of them to run :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:

• reneeic1 and cherikl69 have said thanks

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,795 Thanks
  • 7,542 posts

Posted May 23, 2016 - 07:34 AM

Is there a screen on the fuel pickup tube in the fuel tank? That is what usually plugs. Good Luck, Rick
  • TAHOE said thank you

#3 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 773 Thanks
  • 511 posts

Posted May 23, 2016 - 07:41 AM

Don't worry you did not hurt the saw with the exhaust mod. I pull the screens out of all of mine. ....It does sound to me that you have a carb. related issue. Sound to me like it can even be a cracked fuel line or primer bulb tough. You will need a torques to take it apart and check the fuel lines...I think its called an impulse hose 

• boyscout862 and TAHOE have said thanks

#4 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • 773 Thanks
  • 511 posts

Posted May 23, 2016 - 07:43 AM

Is there a screen on the fuel pickup tube in the fuel tank? That is what usually plugs. Good Luck, Rick

That screen never get plugged up

#5 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • 773 Thanks
  • 511 posts

Posted May 23, 2016 - 07:44 AM

here you go tahoe  

• Bruce Dorsi and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#6 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • 773 Thanks
  • 511 posts

Posted May 23, 2016 - 07:45 AM

So common 

• Bruce Dorsi said thank you

#7 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • 773 Thanks
  • 511 posts

Posted May 23, 2016 - 07:52 AM

BTW most of the time a cracked line does not leak enough to be obvious, because its more apt to such air then it is to leak. Its like drinking through a cracked straw. I am betting if you start it and just let it idle it will run for a long time. 

#8 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,652 Thanks
  • 7,677 posts

Posted May 23, 2016 - 08:26 AM

When you modified the exhaust, did you change the carb adjustment? It sounds as though it is warming up and needing adjustment.

• TAHOE said thank you

#9 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • 773 Thanks
  • 511 posts

Posted May 23, 2016 - 09:28 AM

Its the line , I live breath and use stihl chainsaws everyday. The exhaust mod won't affect jetting enough to show symptoms of any kind. I am betting he did that after having issues, as well as endlessly trying to adjust the carb. I will be repete its the line its the line. 

Only other thing it could be is the air boot , but its the line! air boot would make you idle high after reving then drop idle all together. 

Edited by John Arsenault, May 23, 2016 - 09:29 AM.

• MH81, Bruce Dorsi and TAHOE have said thanks

#10 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,491 Thanks
  • 4,947 posts

Posted May 23, 2016 - 10:58 AM

I will have to look, saw is probably 6 or 7 years old, I bought it from a friend's dad who moved to Florida last spring.  

I did adjust the carb.....endlessly, pulling out what little hair I have left :D  It would start right up, run good, even cut a few logs and then it would start this bogging and dying. No primer bulb on this one, I  guess I need to replace the fuel lines and see if that it, maybe clean carb again.

I also need a new bar I think, almost instantly cuts in a curve. I thought it was a dull chain, but even with a nice sharp one, does the same thing.

John, I need to ship you my 028, best saw my dad ever bought until the carb got replaced, then it never would run right.

#11 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,491 Thanks
  • 4,947 posts

Posted May 23, 2016 - 11:00 AM

I'll have to watch the youtube videos when I get home

#12 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,709 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted May 23, 2016 - 01:55 PM

Sounds to me like you have a classic case of a hole in the fuel line.  If your fuel line is black they can be hard to fine and all it takes is a pin hole.

• TAHOE said thank you

#13 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,802 Thanks
  • 2,201 posts

Posted May 23, 2016 - 07:26 PM

I had the same problem, changed that hose and all fixed.

• TAHOE said thank you

#14 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • 773 Thanks
  • 511 posts

Posted May 23, 2016 - 08:55 PM

John, I need to ship you my 028, best saw my dad ever bought until the carb got replaced, then it never would run right.

You won't need to send it I can walk you through it. 

• MH81 and TAHOE have said thanks

#15 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,491 Thanks
  • 4,947 posts

Posted October 12, 2016 - 08:12 AM

Sorry for not updating sooner, I actually didn't work on Saw until end of August....when I needed it. :wallbanging:

I bought a kit for it, plug, air filter, both fuel and oil lines. I replaced the fuel line and found what I think was my problem, the filter had came off the tube inside the tank. I think once fuel level dropped or I turned saw to a different angle is when it cut out.

I replaced that with air filter and plug, fired it up and did some fine tuning, now she runs great. I replaced the bar and chain with a 20" cause I thought that's what I had, but it came with an 18' that must've been bent as it would cut in a curve all the time even with a sharp chain. It seems to pull he 20 alright so I'll stick with it.