Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,609 posts

Posted May 23, 2016 - 05:18 AM

I was trying to come up with something better for me to use when hilling my potatoes . I posted this in my thread about it but maybe their are members who don't read the gardening forum so bellow was copied from it , thanks Al  

http://gardentractor...lling-potatoes/

I was at the Jacktown flea market yesterday with my friend Joe and was talking about my hilling problems , we walked past a furrow attachment for a TroyBuilt tiller and he mentioned that maybe I could make something out of that . I do have one but didn't want to ruin it for making furrows . Thought maybe I could attach the wings to a set of hillers I already have . Not sure if I can heat and bend the edges flat or maybe easier to weld a flat plate ,either way i would drill holes so the wings   could be put back on the furrower .Anyone modify  sweeps or plows that could give some advise ? 

post-1094-0-00909800-1463927996_thumb.jp post-1094-0-89780900-1463928044_thumb.jp

Edited by Alc, May 23, 2016 - 05:19 AM.

• Sawdust and cherikl69 have said thanks

#2 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,609 posts

Posted May 24, 2016 - 05:38 AM

Talked with a fellow at work that was a certified weld some years ago , I asked if it could be mig welded , he thought I shouldn't have a problem welding a piece of 1/4" plate to it , his only concern was not having a big enough machine ,he suggested if I'm not getting good penetration to preheat the area with a torch , like you would alum. welding   I have a Hobart 170 , I'll have to see if I have larger wire for it , right now only .024"  , Now that he's got me thinking maybe that's why my repair on the Power King's loader frame didn't come out was well as it should have if I would have used larger wire ?  

Edited by Alc, May 24, 2016 - 05:42 AM.

• MH81 said thank you

#3 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,355 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted May 24, 2016 - 05:51 AM

I have a Hobart 140 and weld 1/4" regularly with it. 0.035 wire with gas. I do weld a small bead first on beveled edge, then turn up the speed and weld another over that wider. Has held well. I have even welded 3/8" and 1/2" with it.

• Alc and Sawdust have said thanks

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,584 posts

Posted May 24, 2016 - 06:38 AM

Al, I wish I could help, but when it comes to welding tempered metal and trying to keep the temper... I often make the wrong choice and cause myself problems

#5 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,404 Thanks
  • 3,155 posts

Posted May 25, 2016 - 03:43 AM

I weld 1/2" with my tiny little Craftsman gassless 110 v rig, you can surely do it with the 170! Just weld it uphill or vertically. This gives max penetration especially with small wire, easy peasy!!
  • Alc said thank you

#6 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,609 posts

Posted May 27, 2016 - 09:12 AM

Took a vacation day today so I wanted to work on these hillers . The sweeps are softer then I thought and I flattened the edge where the wings bolt on by using a hammer on the rail road track anvil , they also drilled and grinded easily . I didn't even need to change wire size  , stayed at .024 and set it at highest voltage and almost fastest speed . That's about as good as it gets with me behind the controls lol . Took a few pictures , not sure if  I should mount the wings on the front liked pictured or on the backside like they were on the furrow maker .  When the garden drys a little more I'll give them a test run . I think I'll be able to make some wide beds next year for other crops with the adjust ability of them  

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN2054.JPG
  • DSCN2055.JPG
  • DSCN2056.JPG

• KennyP said thank you

#7 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,355 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted May 27, 2016 - 09:17 AM

All right! Now to try them out!

#8 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,404 Thanks
  • 3,155 posts

Posted May 27, 2016 - 10:29 AM

That should work awsome Al!! Nice job on the welds too.
  • Alc said thank you

#9 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,609 posts

Posted May 27, 2016 - 10:45 AM

Test run reviled some modifications are needed . They worked well but I'm going to need to tweak the LH sweep . It's not angled back like the other side though it didn't look that bad before I started so maybe some reinforcements will be needed . Using it this way it was very hard to control with the walk behind , might not be noticeable with a GT .

Just noticed I didn't adjust the wings the same on each side !!!  Maybe that's why their not the same angle  :wallbanging:

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN2057.JPG
  • DSCN2058.JPG

Edited by Alc, May 27, 2016 - 10:48 AM.

• KennyP said thank you

#10 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,609 posts

Posted May 28, 2016 - 05:29 AM

Went out and adjusted the wings the same and that brought the angles closer to being the same on each side . I'm going to see what kind of clamp would be needed to use them on the PKs culitvator tool bar . If I remember its 1 1/4" square . Auuuu as I'm typing this I just remembered that a few years ago I made an upside down U for the 3 point , to clamp tool bars to . Right now it has the bar with the rake teeth clamped to it . I just need to swap over to this tool bar
  • KennyP said thank you

#11 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,609 posts

Posted June 24, 2016 - 08:51 PM

Little late on posting this my computer that I can post my pictures was giving me problems anyway here's the attachment that I made to the 3pt , I tried temporary clamping the tool bar , it was easier then using the DB walkbehind as far as controlling it  ,The clamps didn't keep it tight enough so need to get a U-bolt or other way to hold the bar I might even pay to make a second bar one in front of this with straight shanks to loosen the soil then this one with the hillers

DSCN2089.JPG DSCN2088.JPG DSCN2087.JPG

• MH81 and KennyP have said thanks

#12 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,355 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted June 25, 2016 - 05:37 AM

Looks good!

#13 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,584 posts

Posted June 25, 2016 - 05:45 AM

Al, looks nice.
I think a twist in the bottom of the shanks to make the sweeps angled from to back would make this behave better.
The breakup tips are a good idea also.
  • Alc said thank you

#14 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,609 posts

Posted June 25, 2016 - 05:53 AM

Alan I might be able to adjust the angle with tapered steel shims . I remember using ones that were about 3/4" x 4" , 1/8" thick to nothing . I could put them behined the clamps

#15 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,584 posts

Posted June 25, 2016 - 05:58 AM

Not certain if I am expressing the idea very well. No coffee yet.

Anything will help, but most billers I've used are on the magnitude of 30* to 45* swept forward. Anything will help some,
Flat, the are kind of like dozen blades and much of the dirt will fall down, lower tips forward will help hill by bringing dirt uphill.