Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Problem balancing power for forward and reverse or how my Panzer tried to kill me.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Mshrauger OFFLINE  

Mshrauger
  • Member No: 36628
  • 46 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted May 22, 2016 - 09:07 PM

I am so close! I have my T758es up and running but I need some help. I can't seem to get forward power and reverse to work at the same time. I have adjusted the shaft the handle rides on back and forth a ton and only seem to be able to get good forward power and no reverse or the other way around. I have a brand new reverse disc from bill so the size is right and not worn. Is there anything else I should be looking at?

So now for the my panzer tried to kill me part. I tested it out the other night and had good power forward and went for my longest drive in 20 years. I made it all the way up the hill to the back yard. When I went to go back to the garage I realized with out reverse I had nothing to brake with as my brakes are still on the todo list! It made for a very exciting ride. I was able to get the wheels turned before I hit the really steep part of the hill and reset so I would have reverse and not forward and let gravity do its thing with 685 pounds. If I had waited just a bit longer I would not have had an option but to ride it out. If I had missed the trees and fence at the bottom of the hill I would have ended up in the middle of my very busy street. Speed limit in front of my house is 30 but average speed is probably closer to 60 than 30.

So if anyone has any tips on setting this correctly my wife would be very greatful. Or maybe I'll just check the life insurance before I go for another drive up the hill.
  • MH81, Lmiller3358 and retired1990 have said thanks

#2 Lmiller3358 OFFLINE  

Lmiller3358

• Member No: 5109
  • 1,334 Thanks
  • 1,322 posts

Posted May 23, 2016 - 04:09 AM

Sounds scary !

#3 grattone ONLINE  

grattone
  • Member No: 66237
  • 222 Thanks
  • 167 posts

Posted May 23, 2016 - 05:12 AM

In the manuals section go to Tractors-Implements/ Copar panzer/ Page 2/ Look for Operating & Maintaining Panzer T75 & T75es Tractor. 

on the 4th page it shows an adjustment procedure.

That said, there are collars with set screws on the shaft that holds the shift lever.

On my Panzer I adjusted the handle by locking it in forward and adjusting the collars  for good belt tension.

On the long side of the shaft I have measured & cut a piece of tubing and slid over the shaft between the collars to keep them from sliding if the collars loosen up.

With that done you can leave a little play between the handle and the right side collar, that will help with neutral and reverse.

Forward is adjusted with the distance between the collars on the left (long part of shaft) reverse is the distance between the collars to the right (short side of shaft) & neutral is the play between the collars and the shift handle.

GOOD LUCK.

Hopes this helps and when going down hill it may help to keep tractor locked in forward and idling the engine down.

Gratton 

• MH81 and Mshrauger have said thanks

#4 grattone ONLINE  

grattone
  • Member No: 66237
  • 222 Thanks
  • 167 posts

Posted May 23, 2016 - 05:14 AM

Forgot to ask but where did you get the reverse disk ? I need one.

Gratton

• Mshrauger said thank you

#5 Mshrauger OFFLINE  

Mshrauger
  • Member No: 36628
  • 46 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted May 23, 2016 - 07:34 AM

Forgot to ask but where did you get the reverse disk ? I need one.

Gratton

Thanks for the info. I'll try that. I got my reverse disc from Bill Janitor. I don't know if he has any right now but he makes them. Great guy. Here's his website.  http://www.panzertractors.com/ He has lots of info on Panzers. 

#6 HANKG OFFLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,892 Thanks
  • 2,795 posts

Posted May 23, 2016 - 08:24 AM

Something to note also, as the detent wears these things can take off on their own because of vibration letting the shifter slip into forward, I've turned around to find mine chasing me down the driveway. Never leave them running unattended , as with any of them. 

#7 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,465 Thanks
  • 1,610 posts

Posted May 25, 2016 - 12:34 AM

You my want to consider going to a military surplus auction and picking up an ejection seat from an F-16. I'm pretty sure that you can eject from ground level and the chute will open before your feet hit the ground. Probably cheaper to fix the brakes before those steep hill test runs with a busy street at the bottom. Your out of control with no brakes experience is not the first one mentioned on this forum. That's got to be a terrifying experience for sure. I posted this video before, but it's something to think about.

• BowDown said thank you

#8 Panzerguy OFFLINE  

Panzerguy
  • Member No: 53940
  • 650 Thanks
  • 391 posts

Posted May 25, 2016 - 08:35 PM

As you already found out, there's not much room for error when making the forward/reverse adjustment. Something I have found helpful with doing these adjustments is to replace the original set screw type collars with split collars. Once you put too many set screw dimples in the foot peg shaft, it comes difficult to slide the collars back and forth to make adjustments without filing the dimples smooth. The split collars don't leave any marks and actually hold better that the collars with the set screws. 

Attached Thumbnails

• March-April 09 LAGC Panzer PhotosRen's_-16.JPG

• Clint and karl have said thanks