7 replies to this topic

#1 fonz3482 OFFLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• Member No: 84
  • 765 Thanks
  • 590 posts

Posted May 22, 2016 - 08:04 PM

Well like the title states, I finally picked up my EK10. I found it a while back, but between work, my wife working, birthday parties, weddings, bridal showers, baby showers, and all sorts of other crap I thought I'd never get a chance to take the 2hr drive to go grab it. Well today my wife had a bridal shower, and I decided to throw my 1 yr in the truck and we took off to get it hoping for the best because he usually doesn't sit well in his car seat. Well he passed out on the way there, and on the way home he stayed happy!! As for the EK, it does run, but the battery was dead, and I think the carb needs a good clean because it's not running well. Also the previous owner said he had to remove the pto shaft because it would slowly spin at all times??? He said he thought a little brake pad fell off that keeps the pto shaft in the stopped position?? But, Overall I'm happy. One last thing I noticed, the seat seems way to far back and the seat spring/suspension isn't doing a good job of holding my weight up, any suggestions on that?? Let me know what you guys think! Enjoy the pics.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg

• Bolens 1000, Gtractor, Bruce Dorsi and 9 others have said thanks

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted May 22, 2016 - 08:28 PM

Nice Find welcome to the EK club :D

The pto issue may be as simple as he got the wrong belts on there, there's no stop pad for the pto.

The seat looks too far back, almost seems the guy was bigger and drilled more holes in the seat spring.

#3 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 3,107 Thanks
  • 1,199 posts

Posted May 22, 2016 - 08:32 PM

Congratulations on your new trophy - looks like a keeper.  Looking at the seat on wrenchinonit's in this thread http://gardentractor...3930-ek-10-day/ yours seat does look too far back - I assume that it can be adjusted forward - looks like there are a few sets of holes in the bracket to position the seat in.

#4 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 987 Thanks
  • 669 posts

Posted May 22, 2016 - 09:08 PM

Welcome to the articulator club, I love my EK and mow with it regularly. Are you planning to restore it or just get it running better? I just purchased my second EK but have not gotten around to picking it up yet, it will be a parts machine should the need arise. If your missing anything big let me know I may be able to help as I bought the whole tractor just to get the plow mount and arms that went to the thatcher I picked up last year from the guy. Good luck and feel free to ask anything.
  • fonz3482 said thank you

#5 Jwangelin ONLINE  

Jwangelin
  • Member No: 62756
  • 1 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted May 22, 2016 - 09:42 PM

Great find! I have been keeping my eyes open and sadly after scrap prices went up a few years ago many pieces of equipment disappeared. As you know EK and GKs are tough to find here in WNY.  Good luck in getting it going.

#6 fonz3482 OFFLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• 765 Thanks
  • 590 posts

Posted May 23, 2016 - 03:00 AM

Great find! I have been keeping my eyes open and sadly after scrap prices went up a few years ago many pieces of equipment disappeared. As you know EK and GKs are tough to find here in WNY.  Good luck in getting it going.

Hey welcome to the forum! Where are you in WNY?? I may have a lead on a few. I'll have to look through my messages and see if I can find any for you.

#7 fonz3482 OFFLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• 765 Thanks
  • 590 posts

Posted May 23, 2016 - 03:41 AM

Welcome to the articulator club, I love my EK and mow with it regularly. Are you planning to restore it or just get it running better? I just purchased my second EK but have not gotten around to picking it up yet, it will be a parts machine should the need arise. If your missing anything big let me know I may be able to help as I bought the whole tractor just to get the plow mount and arms that went to the thatcher I picked up last year from the guy. Good luck and feel free to ask anything.

Thanks Eric, I plan to restore all my machines..... Someday :smilewink:. For now the plan is to get it cleaned up, running nice, and try it out.  For the last few years I've used my newer Massey sub compact for mowing. Yea its a nice machine, but I want to exercise the older machines also. This year I mowed for several weeks around the house with my 600 and used the Massey for the rest of my 2 acre yard. I had a blast with the 600 and the reel mower, so I plan to do the same with the EK.

One question I do have is tires. I was chatting with Brian and I know you can't get the original tires anymore or that tread design. So what are members running on their EK's?? Looking for something with some grip, my yard has some inclines and turfs tend to spin on the slopes. My current original tires are all holding air fine, but the tread is a bit worn.  The chains do help with that problem for now. Any suggestions or pics of tires would be a great help, thanks!!

• Eric said thank you

#8 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 987 Thanks
  • 669 posts

Posted May 23, 2016 - 09:21 AM

I run AGs and also have many inclines and very sandy soil here in central wisconsin. The AGs are great and to my surprise do not tear up the grass at all. I was told that a guy here has some tires for the EK that were never mounted but they have yet to materialize, probably just a wives tale.