1962 shaw S32E riding mower

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 rbooker OFFLINE  

• Member No: 54463
  • 243 Thanks
  • 128 posts

Posted May 22, 2016 - 07:26 PM

a friend of mine was down at the farm last month and saw all my old bush hog tractors.  he told me about a shaw riding mower that belonged to his grandmother and has been there on their place since it was new.  some years ago they moved it out of the shed and it has been sitting under the eave since.  he knew they would never do anything with it, and he did not want to sell it because of the long family history but he said I could have it if I would come get it.  I finally got a chance to meet up with him Friday evening and pick it up.  I wish I had taken some pictures of it in its place because about all that could be seen above the pine straw that had fallen on it over the years was the handlebars.  we pulled it out and loaded it with his front end loader.  despite all the years in the elements, its age and wear it seems pretty complete.  the serial number plate reads model S32e, #I62144.  what didn't catch my eye at first was at the top where it said Shaw Manufacturing Co division of bush hog mfg. co.  when I saw that, I figured this had to be a 1962 model year which would have been the year bush hog acquired shaw and before these stopped production and t-63 began. the engine does date to January 1962. I have found the bush hog red paint in several places. eventually I hope to go over it and get it functional.  would be nice to restore in the bush hog color scheme if I could figure out if it was indeed that way originally.  it was originally bought from bush hog here in Selma.  please share any info anyone may have on this tractor. 

Attached Thumbnails

• shaw1.jpg
  • shaw2.jpg
  • shaw3.JPG
  • shaw4.JPG
  • shaw5.jpg
  • shaw7.JPG

• Gtractor, Alc, boyscout862 and 3 others have said thanks

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,741 Thanks
  • 2,720 posts

Posted May 22, 2016 - 07:34 PM

That could be really cool restored

• boyscout862 and rbooker have said thanks

#3 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8923
  • 9,454 Thanks
  • 7,345 posts

Posted May 22, 2016 - 08:52 PM

It is really kool right now. Good Luck, Rick

• Titus and rbooker have said thanks

#4 oldiron1 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 43924
  • 280 Thanks
  • 177 posts

Posted May 22, 2016 - 10:07 PM

Great find! I always wanted to find a Shaw mower like this. Here in Wisconsin, I've never seen one in person. I've never seen a Shaw ID tag which references the Bush Hog company either; very cool!

• rbooker said thank you

#5 Titus OFFLINE  

Bush Hog Hoarder

• Member No: 4216
  • 1,691 Thanks
  • 2,217 posts

Posted June 16, 2016 - 01:15 PM

I love that it has Bush Hog on the tag. How's the progress on it?

#6 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,048 Thanks
  • 2,090 posts

Posted June 16, 2016 - 03:52 PM

I posted these brochures thinking they were early 1950's, but they appear to be 1956-1957 printings.

These are the ancestors of your Shaw.

#7 rbooker OFFLINE  

• 243 Thanks
  • 128 posts

Posted June 16, 2016 - 05:12 PM

it is still sitting on my trailer.  I have only blown the straw off it.  haven't had any time to do anything with it since picking it up but hope to start tinkering with it soon.  I like looking at all the old brochures and frequently refer to them when working on restorations.  thanks for posting them!

#8 Clifford Bridgford OFFLINE  

Clifford Bridgford
  • Member No: 71036
  • 313 Thanks
  • 88 posts

Posted June 16, 2016 - 08:37 PM

There were four basic models of these mowers.  S24, S28, S32, and S36.  An E suffix is electric start.  The S is the type of mower.  The numeral following the S is the width of cut.  A few of the early versions had Briggs engines, but the Briggs engines had some crankshaft failures which Briggs told Shaw were due to the design of the belt drive for the blade.  Shaw replaced the Briggs with Wisconsin and had no more problems.  HP was 6, 7, 8, and 9 depending on width of cut.

The Shaw paint scheme was all green with red wheels with the engine painted as received from the factory.  After Bush Hog took over, the green paint was changed to red.  Handle bars were all chrome plated.  Painting was done by dipping all major assemblies into a huge tank of paint and hanging up to dry.

• DougT, Alc, Bruce Dorsi and 2 others have said thanks

#9 rbooker OFFLINE  

• 243 Thanks
  • 128 posts

Posted June 17, 2016 - 08:36 AM

thank you cliff!  that's the kind of things I love to know about these tractors, and for many of these makes and models this is how that information lives on.

• oldiron1 said thank you