• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rbooker OFFLINE  

rbooker
  • Member No: 54463
  • 265 Thanks
  • 132 posts

Posted May 22, 2016 - 07:19 PM

a friend of mine was down at the farm last month and saw all my old bush hog tractors.  he told me about a shaw riding mower that belonged to his grandmother and has been there on their place since it was new.  some years ago they moved it out of the shed and it has been sitting under the eave since.  he knew they would never do anything with it, and he did not want to sell it because of the long family history but he said I could have it if I would come get it.  I finally got a chance to meet up with him Friday evening and pick it up.  I wish I had taken some pictures of it in its place because about all that could be seen above the pine straw that had fallen on it over the years was the handlebars.  we pulled it out and loaded it with his front end loader.  despite all the years in the elements, its age and wear it seems pretty complete.  the serial number plate reads model S32e, #I62144.  what didn't catch my eye at first was at the top where it said Shaw Manufacturing Co division of bush hog mfg. co.  when I saw that, I figured this had to be a 1962 model year which would have been the year bush hog acquired shaw and before these stopped production and t-63 began. the engine does date to January 1962. I have found the bush hog red paint in several places. eventually I hope to go over it and get it functional.  would be nice to restore in the bush hog color scheme if I could figure out if it was indeed that way originally.  please share any info anyone may have on this tractor.  I will also post this over on the shaw forum.

Attached Thumbnails

• shaw1.jpg
  • shaw2.jpg
  • shaw3.JPG
  • shaw4.JPG
  • shaw5.jpg
  • shaw7.JPG

• olcowhand, LPBolens, hamman and 4 others have said thanks

#2 sacsr ONLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted May 22, 2016 - 08:12 PM

Awesome find! That is another mower I wanted to add to my collection. From what I have heard they kept building these after BH bought shaw. The earlier versions before BH were green. You are missing the cover for the front pulley. I think I can come up with one. I was thinking I uploaded a manual for these mowers. If not I can scan a copy and upload it. I have a friend who says he has one that was built in 1966.

Edited by sacsr, May 22, 2016 - 08:14 PM.

#3 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,645 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted May 22, 2016 - 08:22 PM

Looks just like the one sitting on a stump in Galesburg right across the road from the site of the Shaw/Bush Hog plant.  I took a pic of it when I was there several years ago.

DSC00032.JPG

• LPBolens and KennyP have said thanks

#4 rbooker OFFLINE  

rbooker
  • Member No: 54463
  • 265 Thanks
  • 132 posts

Posted May 22, 2016 - 08:45 PM

That's it! I was wondering if the wheels were yellow. I figure there will be some paint on the inside of them. the left rear tire is still holding air!

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted May 23, 2016 - 05:59 AM

That's a piece of history there! I like it!