• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,738 Thanks
  • 2,157 posts

Posted May 22, 2016 - 07:03 PM

As some of you may know, I took a job offer in Boston,Mass and plan on relocating the family to New Hampshire.That was about 6-7 weeks ago. since then I have been working like crazy to finish the house to sell it. The new area  is about 3 hours away from my current location.

Well,,,, I sold my house( accepted an offer) yesterday and signed the papers today. :dancingbanana:  I have till July 15th to move out and move somewhere near my final location.

We have not located the right new house yet so the fun begins. As of right now ,Joe ( aka rockfarmer) is letting me keep my Gt's at his place , as well as my other friend in Maine. That's the easy part I think,  finding a storage facility near where we are looking for all the house stuff, a temporary living situation and my permanent home are the not so much fun part. I also need to start my job up there so I can apply for the mortgage ( need the pay stubs to verify my new income)  The wife plans on staying at a campground for a few weeks while we look. That should help some . The big hurdle is to be settled for the school year for my son, wether it be in  rental or the new house.

I just hope it goes somewhat smooth so I can keep what sanity i have left. 

• olcowhand, Gtractor, Alc and 10 others have said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 27,641 Thanks
  • 39,012 posts

Posted May 22, 2016 - 07:17 PM

Sounds rather hectic, Tom!  Good luck!

• boyscout862 and TomLGT195 have said thanks

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,746 Thanks
  • 2,721 posts

Posted May 22, 2016 - 07:29 PM

Hey Tom I know its been a rat race for you with even harder races to win, like finding a ( house ) and getting your son settled in, try to take your time finding a place to rent is a great start to finding your new digs, I would probably rent in the neighborhood I was looking to buy in if possible, best of luck with move Hank.

#4 Sawdust OFFLINE  

• Member No: 36549
  • 4,516 Thanks
  • 2,827 posts

Posted May 22, 2016 - 07:31 PM

Just went through a big move ourselves was very overwhelming to the point of stress. Lived over 30 years at the old place, We had stuff we forgot about. Just work together & be sympathetic to each others stress level & think about the end result. We're sitting on the porch right now having coffee, deer grazing by across the road, garden coming up good & most important of all the GT's are all together.Lol Keep us posted it'll all work out.
  • MH81, KennyP, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#5 petrj6 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,701 Thanks
  • 2,161 posts

Posted May 22, 2016 - 07:54 PM

Good luck tom, hope it all works out for you.  Keep calm and carry on

• boyscout862, TomLGT195, HANKG and 1 other said thanks

#6 EricR OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9495
  • 361 Thanks
  • 255 posts

Posted May 22, 2016 - 07:59 PM

Boy you sure sound busy Sir, lol.

• TomLGT195 said thank you

#7 MH81 ONLINE  

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,670 Thanks
  • 28,321 posts

Posted May 22, 2016 - 08:02 PM

Glad some of the line items are getting check marks.

#8 olcowhand ONLINE  

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,232 Thanks
  • 29,691 posts

Posted May 22, 2016 - 08:05 PM

Lots to do & deal with!  Best wishes for an easy transition.

#9 CRFarnsworth OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6275
  • 3,594 Thanks
  • 1,719 posts

Posted May 22, 2016 - 08:41 PM

Good luck.  Hope every thing works out quickly and smoothly for you.   Rick

#10 boyscout862 ONLINE  

• Member No: 8923
  • 9,489 Thanks
  • 7,365 posts

Posted May 22, 2016 - 08:47 PM

I hope that all goes well for you. It will take me several years of hard work to finish my place in order to sell it and then escape Connecticut. I don't seem to have the energy.

Two things that I want to advize: find a place with an easy commute, buy a big piece of land at an elevation greater than 200 feet elevation. Good Luck, Rick

For those that don't know, CT has one of the worst economies in the country. The governors' liberal tax and spend policies are coming back to bite us all. Many companies warned him that if certain laws were passed they would leave. He did push for and sign the laws(taxes and antigun) and the companies are leaving.
  • Gtractor, TomLGT195, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 1,865 Thanks
  • 1,056 posts

Posted May 23, 2016 - 05:13 PM

You are stretched pretty thin right now Tom, stuff in 3 states? Good luck getting established and try to have some breathing time now and then!

• boyscout862, TomLGT195 and Sawdust have said thanks

#12 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,047 Thanks
  • 4,977 posts

Posted May 23, 2016 - 06:15 PM

That sure would be hectic!

Sometimes I think about finding a job some place else(may be forced to if I et laid off)

I think I'd move further south though! I have a cousin who lived in Boston. He sent pictures in the mail of his car being buried in he snow and he couldn't find it along the street.
  • boyscout862, TomLGT195 and HANKG have said thanks

#13 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,738 Thanks
  • 2,157 posts

Posted May 23, 2016 - 07:19 PM

This week we are going to look at a couple houses, find a storage facility for the house stuff, and I have the realtor looking into short term rentals for us. After this weekend, which i will hopefully finish the house and new owners wish list ( actually very minimal), every weekend till July 15 will be spent transporting the items up north. I thought I drove a lot for work before. 

The present company I work for is setting me up with  work in the Boston area till I get settled to ease the transition and help with the mortgage company. That is very nice of them considering I've only worked for them for a couple months. He said as soon as the new company is ready don't feel obligated to stay, we don't want you to lose that great offer. Not what you expect these days from any company!

My wife already told me that if we didn't find a place right away, she expects that I will be at Joe's or Tal's playing with my tractors, keeping my sanity. The positive swing is as long as the new house is livable, I have the next 15 years to do the remodeling. Hopefully the list won't be that long. I have tractors that need restoring. The model A is due for some attention too.

Edited by TomLGT195, May 23, 2016 - 07:20 PM.

• KennyP, MFDAC, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#14 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,738 Thanks
  • 2,157 posts

Posted June 01, 2016 - 07:55 PM

Barb secured a teaching job! :dancingbanana:  :dancingbanana:  :dancingbanana:

We put an offer in on a house. It's a short sale with is fine by me. They lowered the house by $20k and it's move in ready. It's classified as a 2 bedroom which apparently isn't desirable in that town. works perfect for me.   Also the lengthy process will give me a chance to relax in an apartment for a few months and focus on getting back and forth to my new job. On that subject Barb has located short term leasing ( 2 or 3 month contracts) in our area as well. she goes next week to look at them and get the lease so we can review it.

Things are taking shape, now to get ALL my stuff up north. the big task at hand now. I start this weekend with a trip to setup the portable garages. 

Here's a pic of the house we hope to buy

Edited by TomLGT195, June 01, 2016 - 07:56 PM.

• olcowhand, MH81, Alc and 5 others have said thanks

#15 Cat385B ONLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,328 Thanks
  • 8,681 posts

Posted June 01, 2016 - 08:02 PM

Pretty big size place for being within driving distance of Boston........yard looks to be spacious.

• MH81 and TomLGT195 have said thanks