• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 CanadianHobbyFarmer OFFLINE  

CanadianHobbyFarmer
  • Member No: 73571
  • 939 Thanks
  • 596 posts

Posted May 22, 2016 - 11:25 AM

I have an old round back tiller (model 18609) that I picked up earlier this year. It was working ok behind my 1054, some vibration but not too bad. I tilled about 4000 square feet of pig pasture and garden with it, then it started to shake and got very noisy, so I had to stop. I started taking it apart yesterday and found out that the roll pin that holds the worm gear in place on the input shaft had sheared off. I was trying to pull everything out through the front to repair it, but after fighting with the bearing race for about an hour, I just got out my old walk behind tiller and finished tilling with it. I will be busy planting for the rest of the day today and into tomorrow likely, then cutting grass  (long weekend up here), so the tiller will be sitting till next weekend at least. I am wondering now though if I should just replace the existing roll pin or is there something I can do to make it stronger? I was thinking of maybe drilling it out and putting in a bigger diameter roll pin. I  would appreciate any advice on this.

Thanks, Jim

• blackjackjakexxix and Paulgo have said thanks

#2 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 3,102 Thanks
  • 1,196 posts

Posted May 22, 2016 - 12:05 PM

I would check the condition of everything else (bearings, u joints, shafts etc.) to make sure that they all are in good shape and not worn - you mention you had some vibration at the start which usually indicates something worn, bent, out of balance or otherwise not in sync.  Check the roll pin hole in the gear and shaft to make sure the roll pin is a tight fit in both - if one of the holes is worn then when you first engage things the pin will be subjected to a sideways movement force similar to hitting it sideways with a hammer which after many starts can cause the pin to shear. You could go to a rolled spring pin which would give it more strength or even put a bolt with a vibration nut on the end if you have room but I would advise against it - remember the roll pin is like a shear pin and better (and less costly) it breaking than not breaking and having the gear train break instead.  If it was the original roll pin it may have just had enough of rocks and other obstacles in the dirt and broken due to fatigue - I would try another roll pin in it and see what happens.

• LPBolens, blackjackjakexxix, ClassicBolens and 3 others have said thanks

#3 ClassicBolens ONLINE  

ClassicBolens
  • Member No: 48806
  • 946 Thanks
  • 375 posts

Posted May 22, 2016 - 12:12 PM

Ditto everything 29 Chev said. Bigger is not always better. I would try to stay with the original size if possible first. If not, I would only go up slightly on the pin diameter.
  • blackjackjakexxix, chieffan, 29 Chev and 1 other said thanks

#4 CanadianHobbyFarmer OFFLINE  

CanadianHobbyFarmer
  • Member No: 73571
  • 939 Thanks
  • 596 posts

Posted May 22, 2016 - 12:58 PM

I am just taking a break from the garden. I should clarify that the roll pin keeps the gear from moving front to back on the shaft only. There is also a woodruff key that stops it from rotating on the shaft. I have no way of knowing if this is the original pin or not as I just bought the tiller a month or two ago and it is older than I am. From what I can see so far (and by turning it over by hand) all of the seals and bearings look good. I will look it all over though once I get it apart the rest of the way.

Jim

• blackjackjakexxix said thank you

#5 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 3,102 Thanks
  • 1,196 posts

Posted May 22, 2016 - 01:17 PM

If it just keeps the gear from moving forwards or backwards there may be excess front or back forces on the shaft.  Check the PTO shaft for bends or evidence where it has been rubbing against anything on the tractor causing it to bind as the tiller goes up and down - I know on mine if the tiller finds a rock it will bounce out of the ground which could put a quick pulling force on the roll pin if things were binding.  Since the tiller is new to you check and make sure the pto shaft is not too long and bottoming out on the pto spline against the rear snap ring on the pto pulley - also check the splines in the yoke and the pto shaft to make sure that the yoke slides freely on them.  With the tiller on the tractor you could put blocks under the rear wheels and let the tiller down to it's lowest depth with the drive shaft in place and see where the front of the yoke is in relation to the rear snap ring that holds the pto pulley on the spline - make sure it is not right up against it as this would put pressure on the roll pin when the tiller is lowered.  Another thought is that someone may have replaced the front u joint and installed the grease fitting towards the pto and the fitting could be hitting against the rear of the pto shaft.

• blackjackjakexxix, Paulgo and CanadianHobbyFarmer have said thanks