4 replies to this topic

#1 DMF OFFLINE  

DMF

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1337
  • 10 Thanks
  • 285 posts

Posted May 11, 2011 - 07:30 AM

What a weekend…. Started my weekly mowing late on Saturday using the IH Cub Cadet 1450 with the PeCo bagger/collector. Got the front lawn done and emptied one full bag. Started on the back lawn and had made maybe 3 laps when it started raining; after 6 laps I was getting soaked so I parked it for the night.
The next morning I walked into the barn early and was greeted by a smell I couldn’t quite place. I went over to the 1450 to finish mowing before heading out for Mother’s Day. Hopped on, twisted the key and heard a metallic SNAP! and then…nothing. I opened the hood, pulled the side panel off and found that the starter shaft had snapped!
I knew I had another one somewhere. After searching around I finally found it; put it in and remembered why it was in storage; it didn’t work! I called my father-in-law to see if he had one; no luck there but he told me to drop both of them off and he’d try to rebuild it while we all went out for Mother’s Day.
My wife was calling me from the house to get ready as we had to leave in less than an hour. I told her I just wanted to dump the grass out of the bagger from the day before. I dumped it into the bucket of Fergy (my Massey Ferguson 1552) and it was smoking hot! I couldn’t even put my hand in it! I hadn’t even thought about the wet clippings being an issue in the bagger, but I should know better as we are always worried if the hay we bale is even slightly damp. I was lucky I didn’t set the barn on fire!
Anyway, when we returned from eating out for Mother’s Day (Wright’s Chicken Farm; highly recommended!) my father-in-law had made one working starter out of the two! Got home, put the starter in, fired the 1450 right up! Got the Tecumseh on the PeCo going and off I went to finish the mowing. One pass later, I see that the grass isn’t being cut…WTH now???? Turns out I broke the extension spring on the tensioner pulley on the mule drive; back to the barn! I searched for a new spring and finally resorted to pirating the one of my repowered IH Cub Cadet Model 86. I finished the mowing about an hour before total darkness and rewarded myself with a cold Molson Ice….or maybe it was 3? Anyway, weekends like that I can do without!

Edited by DMF, May 11, 2011 - 07:53 AM.

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted May 11, 2011 - 07:39 AM

When it rained, it poured. Glad you got things fixed. Wet grass can build some serious heat, good thing you got it out of there.

#3 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted May 11, 2011 - 07:13 PM

Sounds like a frustrating couple of days! Glad it all worked out in the end!

#4 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted May 11, 2011 - 07:52 PM

I am glad you didn't set the barn on fire too. I know wet grass/hay gets hot when wet but I didn't think it would happen that quick. At least in the end everything is working, you got to go out to dinner and enjoy a couple beers to boot :D

#5 ad356 OFFLINE  

ad356

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3766
  • 9 Thanks
  • 160 posts

Posted June 03, 2011 - 06:00 AM

is that why mowing when its wet is even worse for your deck then mowing when its dry? if i end up mowing while its wet, i will powerwash the grass off the deck before i put it away. i have tried to not mow while its wet, but we had a wet, wet spring/early summer