#1 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,651 Thanks
  • 6,464 posts

Posted May 21, 2016 - 10:53 PM

Powerwashed tractor today after tearing down some to access engine.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20160521_191822.jpg
  • 20160521_191800.jpg
  • 20160521_191750.jpg

Edited by glgrumpy, May 21, 2016 - 10:55 PM.

• MH81 and tomgo1 have said thanks

#2 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,651 Thanks
  • 6,464 posts

Posted May 21, 2016 - 11:00 PM

Hood hinges? QT had just slits in hood and little metal hangers to slip it on in front. All bent up. I got a diff hood off a gear drive tractor and it has holes in hood bottom (3). So, do some models have hinges there or ??? Couple pix of what I have. Hood looks OK on tractor. Had to make exhaust go out other side in front hood mesh, remove that tin support in middle. The metal hangers for that are still there, but don't seem to hit anything on diff tractor. Fits dash OK. This hood is nicer and not bent or weak. Think was GX11 tractor, guess have to look at manual to see what parts it used for hinge.

Found info, hard to see. Looks like four little blocks that bolt to hood and frame, then a rod that is the hinge pivot.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20160521_153137.jpg
  • 20160521_153128.jpg
  • 20160521_153120.jpg
  • 20160521_152909.jpg
  • 20160521_152947.jpg
  • 20160521_152937.jpg

Edited by glgrumpy, May 22, 2016 - 09:16 AM.

• MH81 said thank you

#3 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,651 Thanks
  • 6,464 posts

Posted May 21, 2016 - 11:06 PM

Seat safety switch. This plastic thing is all busted up. Can I just join wires and it be gone? The thing has 3 terminals, one common, one says open, and other closed. If it was wired to the closed position, would it be permanent? OR, is a wire missing for that terminal on my tractor?

Attached Thumbnails

• 20160521_191708.jpg
  • 20160521_191732.jpg

Edited by glgrumpy, May 21, 2016 - 11:07 PM.

• MH81 said thank you

#4 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,651 Thanks
  • 6,464 posts

Posted May 21, 2016 - 11:13 PM

Need following items found out today.

Engine mount or two, the rubber biscuit things. Now find there are two heights, front and back, have to look again!

Seat safety switch

Onan points, condensor, intake gaskets for manifold and carb base. Gasket for the air cleaner canister to carb.  Carb kit? or at least those base, top and bowl gaskets for it.

Is BF-MS/3283F

Serial A783307719

This give year of engine?

Think I need small car battery to put in this? has the lead terms for top post battery. I have tray in tractor, but Not sure what holds battery in it?  Anyone know group size or whatever they list for one to fit?

Edited by glgrumpy, May 22, 2016 - 09:17 AM.

• MH81 and UncleWillie have said thanks

#5 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,651 Thanks
  • 6,464 posts

Posted May 28, 2016 - 05:53 PM

I now Hate Bolens tractors, hard to work on. Finally today removed engine, and that darn batt tray structure. THAT was biggest pia, in way of everything. Now need motor mount biscuits for rear only. Here's shot of part. Couse screws twisted off, so have to work those too now. Should just McMaster mounts, or Bolens?

Found McMaster mounts, a little diff in having 4 corner mounts, not just the two. Guess could drill holes or maybe two majically line up? Probly not.  I picked #6008K33 for closest one to these.  $11.11 for them.   Should I get, or are orig's available still?

Attached Thumbnails

• 20160528_175252.jpg
  • 20160528_175300.jpg
  • 20160528_175244.jpg

Edited by glgrumpy, May 28, 2016 - 11:08 PM.

#6 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,651 Thanks
  • 6,464 posts

Posted May 28, 2016 - 06:47 PM

Couple harness questions. Bought new selinoid and other pretty shot. Here's pix of connectors, unsure about. White one, not plugged. Looked like pto light seemed right in that? There is fuse thing hanging on ammeter but only one wire on it. Should this be there and where other wire to? Don't see one floating around. Have new lite switch now for other wires there. Off a PK, so improvement there, ha!

Attached Thumbnails

• 20160528_175411.jpg
  • 20160528_175404.jpg

#7 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,651 Thanks
  • 6,464 posts

Posted May 28, 2016 - 06:51 PM

Couple pix of frame torn down some. Might hit with paint just to look better while down. Farther than wanted to go really.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20160528_175346.jpg
  • 20160528_175338.jpg
  • 20160528_175319.jpg
  • 20160528_175309.jpg

#8 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,651 Thanks
  • 6,464 posts

Posted May 28, 2016 - 10:44 PM

Well, torch heat and pliers on broken screws. One broke more, had to drill. Looking at driveshaft, totally shot u-joints! Darn! War gets done now? Also, How it come off hydro end? Found set screw, but might be for Fan? Not big at all. Fan now loose, turned looking for more screws, didn't see. Tried prying some, no move, quit B4 breaking. Soaking now. Slip off or what? Very rusty.

#9 ClassicBolens ONLINE  

ClassicBolens
  • Member No: 48806
  • 947 Thanks
  • 376 posts

Posted May 29, 2016 - 12:45 AM

Hood hinges? QT had just slits in hood and little metal hangers to slip it on in front. All bent up. I got a diff hood off a gear drive tractor and it has holes in hood bottom (3). So, do some models have hinges there or ??? Couple pix of what I have. Hood looks OK on tractor. Had to make exhaust go out other side in front hood mesh, remove that tin support in middle. The metal hangers for that are still there, but don't seem to hit anything on diff tractor. Fits dash OK. This hood is nicer and not bent or weak. Think was GX11 tractor, guess have to look at manual to see what parts it used for hinge.

Found info, hard to see. Looks like four little blocks that bolt to hood and frame, then a rod that is the hinge pivot.

The original QT hood was made to be lifted off easily, which is why it doesn't have a true hinge. Yours doesn't look too terrible, but the G11XL hood option will work. Just need the pivot rods and pivot blocks. 

Need following items found out today.

Engine mount or two, the rubber biscuit things. Now find there are two heights, front and back, have to look again!

Seat safety switch

Onan points, condensor, intake gaskets for manifold and carb base. Gasket for the air cleaner canister to carb.  Carb kit? or at least those base, top and bowl gaskets for it.

Is BF-MS/3283F

Serial A783307719

This give year of engine?

Think I need small car battery to put in this? has the lead terms for top post battery. I have tray in tractor, but Not sure what holds battery in it?  Anyone know group size or whatever they list for one to fit?

Yes, the engine year is 1978. The battery size should be group 26R. 

I now Hate Bolens tractors, hard to work on. Finally today removed engine, and that darn batt tray structure. THAT was biggest pia, in way of everything. Now need motor mount biscuits for rear only. Here's shot of part. Couse screws twisted off, so have to work those too now. Should just McMaster mounts, or Bolens?

Found McMaster mounts, a little diff in having 4 corner mounts, not just the two. Guess could drill holes or maybe two majically line up? Probly not.  I picked #6008K33 for closest one to these.  $11.11 for them.   Should I get, or are orig's available still?

Yes, the battery tray in the QT16 is a PITA! The mounts from McMaster should work, but OEM Bolens are still available (of course they're more $$$). 

Couple harness questions. Bought new selinoid and other pretty shot. Here's pix of connectors, unsure about. White one, not plugged. Looked like pto light seemed right in that? There is fuse thing hanging on ammeter but only one wire on it. Should this be there and where other wire to? Don't see one floating around. Have new lite switch now for other wires there. Off a PK, so improvement there, ha!

The relay on the ammeter is wired correctly. 

Well, torch heat and pliers on broken screws. One broke more, had to drill. Looking at driveshaft, totally shot u-joints! Darn! War gets done now? Also, How it come off hydro end? Found set screw, but might be for Fan? Not big at all. Fan now loose, turned looking for more screws, didn't see. Tried prying some, no move, quit B4 breaking. Soaking now. Slip off or what? Very rusty.

Sometimes Bolens would put a smaller set screw down in the same hole, under the set screw that holds the fan in place. Double check that. If not, then likely its just rusted in place. Let it soak for a few days. 

Edited by ClassicBolens, May 29, 2016 - 12:46 AM.

• MH81 and Paulgo have said thanks

#10 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,651 Thanks
  • 6,464 posts

Posted May 29, 2016 - 02:03 PM

Good news for once today!  Used wire diagram and followed colors and such on tractor. All looks good. FOUND the brake pedal safety switch on the side of the dash support with tiny screws.  it was not in line with any item on the linkage to set it.  Looked and operated for awhile to see how it would work, but not even close to anything. SO, removed and connected wires together.  Kinda would like that one to work, but whatever. Might try to put in diff place once it is going, if ever!

I set engine back in some, hooked up new selinoid, made connections and tried out stuff. Lights are gonna work fine, the pto clicks when thrown, no starting when it is on. KEY switch is Working as it should be, woopee! I I connected wires for Seat switch, tucked away, hate those anyway. Carb shaft is now out. I drilled 1/8" hole in shaft center, then a 5/32 after and it was loose and turning. So easy, just glad I got centered in it, no carb gouging at pivot. Shaft broke up when messing with it, and butterfly is broken, so hope to find those.  Blasting and painting the batt support structure and will be going in soon and mount engine I hope. Drive-shaft is biggest issue now, still not off tractor even.

• MH81 and ClassicBolens have said thanks

#11 ClassicBolens ONLINE  

ClassicBolens
  • Member No: 48806
  • 947 Thanks
  • 376 posts

Posted May 29, 2016 - 04:08 PM

I uploaded a much better pdf copy of the QT16 Parts Manual here: http://gardentractor...1-thru-1666-05/

Hopefully this will help.

This old copy was the one that I scanned and created almost 20 years ago and was long overdue for an upgrade. It won't break my heart to see it deleted...  :thumbs:

• MH81 and Paulgo have said thanks

#12 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,651 Thanks
  • 6,464 posts

Posted June 01, 2016 - 05:46 PM

McMaster mounts came today. Holes lined up to existing ones on frame, left other pairs as is. Fit great! $11 each!, 2 day's ship. I threw drive-shaft in truck and taking to FT Wayne clutch tomorrow after work, see how much to fix. I'll let you know.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20160601_180959.jpg

Edited by glgrumpy, June 01, 2016 - 05:51 PM.

• Bolens 1000, MH81 and ClassicBolens have said thanks

#13 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,651 Thanks
  • 6,464 posts

Posted June 01, 2016 - 10:10 PM

Well, tonight set that frame and engine all back in tractor, then the wiring and related items. Didn't want to do anything but click the selinoid, thought "Now What"?  Then realized the engine was really insulated from the frame, so had to hook Neg batt cable to a mount bolt on engine and also ran a jumper wire from that same area to the chassis. Worked good then!  Hoping points and such come soon and can see if spark on this thing. Slowly coming back, hope it keeps getting better and no more problems. Drive shaft to be looked at tomorrow I hope, to see if can have new rebuilt for it.

• MH81, ClassicBolens and Paulgo have said thanks

#14 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,651 Thanks
  • 6,464 posts

Posted June 03, 2016 - 09:38 PM

Today, put the old points back in, new condensor, ran wires to them. Got some spark, but real strong or constant. I set points at .20, maybe should go say .18 for older ones?  I cranked with starter and tried some gas then starter fluid down the intake ports, the carb stuff still off. Thought might puff or something. Got ONE puff and that is all after several tries.  My battery packs don't last long trying to crank this, need to get the battery in it. Seems to be a bigger one like a car type. Not sure yet how it is held on the pad, maybe I have stuff missing?  There is no tie-downs for a batt in it now, and not sure if should have a bigger tray then to or what?  Just a small flat surface there at moment. Need to get gas tank and lines on it too. Working on building the carb I just got in mail for it, then can get that stuff on and might work better all around trying to start it then.

#15 LPBolens OFFLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 874
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 882 posts

Posted June 03, 2016 - 11:21 PM

Bolens used car-type batteries in a lot of their equipment, so it would not surprise me if your tractor had one as OE as well.