• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Simplicity Saver OFFLINE  

Simplicity Saver

• Member No: 1717
  • 3 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted May 11, 2011 - 01:34 AM

Has anyone done a conversion to run their tractor on pure ethanol? I heard it can be done, but was wondering if anyone has had success, or made a large grenade.

#2 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• Member No: 2033
  • 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted May 11, 2011 - 04:51 AM

My buddy was telling me it would be easy to convert to propane. I have thought about that...Welcome to GT Talk btw!
  • Simplicity Saver said thank you

#3 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted May 11, 2011 - 05:42 AM

I have never done it and I don't think I know anyone who has but I would love to hear more about it. With the direction fuel is taking gas will be 50% ethanol here in a couple years anyway.

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,325 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted May 11, 2011 - 06:32 AM

Never thought about an ethanol conversion, been having too much fun trying to excise ethanol's effects on these old carbs.
There are many LP conversion kits out there, was thinking about doing one myself. They are even dual fuel carbs and conversions out there. So far, a little over what my play money will support. :D

#5 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 3,870 posts

Posted May 11, 2011 - 07:20 AM

Any Pullers out there?
Don't you guy run alcohol in some of your bigger classes?
I have seen them using Mikita & Klein carbs like the ones on snowmobiles.

#6 hotya100 OFFLINE  

hotya100

• Member No: 1906
  • 8 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted May 11, 2011 - 06:08 PM

Any Pullers out there?
Don't you guy run alcohol in some of your bigger classes?

I wouldn't change my mower over to alcohol.

I run pure methanol in my puller. Yes, it is cheaper than gas in my area. Last summer I paid $1.70 per gallon. Due to rules, I can not run any additives in the methanol. You would need to open up the main jet causing you use 1 1/2 to 2 times more methanol than gas. My puller is tempermental and hard starting in the winter. Methanol is hard on rubber gaskets and fuel line. Methanol also forms little white flakes in it which would clog fuel filters. I ran my carb dry one time and had to take it apart and clean it before the tractor would start. After a pulling event, I flush my fuel pump, regulator, and carb with WD40. Once a year I rebuild the pressure regulator and 2-3 times a year I clean the brass screen in my fuel pump. These are my experiences, others may have different ones.
LD
  • tractorgarden said thank you

#7 dstaggs OFFLINE  

dstaggs

In Remembrance, RIP Dale

• RIP
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 228
  • 553 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts

Posted May 11, 2011 - 08:14 PM

We knew the corn squeezing as White Lightning, If the GTs did what we did could be rough on the body.

#8 metalwiz OFFLINE  

metalwiz

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1930
  • 10 Thanks
  • 34 posts

Posted May 11, 2011 - 10:18 PM

It can be done. There are even people flying experimental aircraft on straight ethanol ( check EAA - The Spirit of Aviation - Oshkosh, WI ) It has its downside. Thet heat value is considerably lower than gasoline, so less power per cu.in, runs colder so usually need hotter plugs, less mileage, and hardwer to start the colder the ambient air temp. Most folks use gas or ether for starting, then switch over. For that matter, you can run your machine off any combustible that will give off smoke, via a firebox, with some mods to your fuel system. The French were reduced to using this and other methods in WWII, as the Nazis commandeered all the gasoline.
  • caseguy and Simplicity Saver have said thanks

#9 Simplicity Saver OFFLINE  

Simplicity Saver

• Member No: 1717
  • 3 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted May 13, 2011 - 01:13 AM

we used to run methanol in our sprint car, so I understand the white flakes. Sometimes we just have stupid thoughts while sitting around, you know what they say about idle minds. Like, we are planning on making a side by side garden tractor drag strip in the marsh behind the house.

#10 metalwiz OFFLINE  

metalwiz

• Contributor
  • 10 Thanks
  • 34 posts

Posted May 13, 2011 - 04:24 PM

Hey, if I had acreage and implements, like in Iowa and was raising corn or some likewise crop, I'd certainly consider either distilling ethanol, or making my own vegetable oil for fuel!~ Couple of years ago, I had a student in my Aviation Maintenance class who drove an older VW Jetta diesel. He started going around to some of the fast food restaurants and hauling out their fryer oil, which he then took home and treated, removed all the glycerines, and burned it in the Jetta! Last I heard, he hadn't bought a gasllon of Diesel in 2 years, and figured he was riding for a little less than a dollar a gallon. The downside, hard to start in the cold- needs preheating- and he always smells like french fries and fried chicken! Dale

#11 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted May 14, 2011 - 11:52 AM

I saw a show where they did that, they lost like 10 lbs each cause the smell of fries was always grossing them out.

#12 metalwiz OFFLINE  

metalwiz

• Contributor
  • 10 Thanks
  • 34 posts

Posted May 14, 2011 - 01:51 PM

I saw a show where they did that, they lost like 10 lbs each cause the smell of fries was always grossing them out.

There's another side to that too. One day just to see if it would work, we fired up one of the little jet turbines on BO-diesel ( came from Bojangles chicken) out on the ramp. After just a couple of minutes, all the firemen from the airport firehouse next door to us were standing there on the ramp , thinking we were having a cookout, and they didn't want to miss out!

#13 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted May 17, 2011 - 05:38 AM

Hahahaha!

#14 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted May 17, 2011 - 05:39 AM

we used to run methanol in our sprint car, so I understand the white flakes. Sometimes we just have stupid thoughts while sitting around, you know what they say about idle minds. Like, we are planning on making a side by side garden tractor drag strip in the marsh behind the house.

Stupid??? Why is that stupid? Sounds GENIUS to me!

#15 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,325 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted May 17, 2011 - 07:04 AM

A friend of mine's Dad does the used fry oil. I believe he mixes with diesel in the enter to aid in starting. He uses a heater also.