• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted May 20, 2016 - 07:02 PM

I know the manual says to not mess with the fluid and to take it to an authorized dealer, but......

I want/need to change the hydraulic filter, and I know I lost fluid while it was upside down being painted.....So, what kind of filter & fluid, and how much??

Thanks!d

1970 Gilson S-14 H

Edited by KC9KAS, May 20, 2016 - 09:46 PM.

#2 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted May 20, 2016 - 09:53 PM

Eaton 12 on 2 speed Peerless transaxle.

If I remember correctly they take Dexron III ATF.Not sure on the filter but your local Napa can hook you up if you bring your old filter with you.

• KC9KAS said thank you

#3 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,514 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted May 21, 2016 - 04:15 AM

If I remember correctly they take Dexron III ATF.Not sure on the filter but your local Napa can hook you up if you bring your old filter with you.

Might want to read this! I have been using a Trans/Hydraulic oil in all my Eaton/Peerless combos when I change fluid & filter.

#4 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted May 21, 2016 - 09:23 AM

Might want to read this! I have been using a Trans/Hydraulic oil in all my Eaton/Peerless combos when I change fluid & filter.

I think the hydro unit is a VICKERS brand.

#5 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted May 21, 2016 - 11:38 AM

Does the transaxle look like This?

Vickers Unit.Manual states to use ATF Type A or B

http://gardentractor...-vickers-t66-2/

a171025.jpg

Or Eaton 12 unit.

gallery_8770_195_505859.jpg

We're still looking for some manuals that were missing for the late 60s early 70s Gilsons/Wards and early to mid 80s Gilson/Wards.I gathered up as many as I could get from the Gilson/Wards Yahoo group and several other forums but we're still missing the early and late model Service manuals and a couple parts manuals.

You have to remember that these larger Gilson/Wards tractors were quite a bit more expensive than alot of the tractors at the time.Most were sold to Golf courses,state parks,government run origination's and people with money.So manuals are really hard to get ahold of.

I bought 5 of the 6 that I had at State Auction.2 Were used at a golf course 3 were used at a local State Park.Out of the 6 that I had only 2 were salvageable.3 had broken frames,1 had bad hydro and 3 had a blown or worn out engines.The only 1 that I got that was privately owned was the old Blue 16 Twin.It also had a cracked frame but was fixable.       

Edited by EricFromPa, May 21, 2016 - 12:04 PM.

• KC9KAS said thank you

#6 Sprint 6 ONLINE  

Sprint 6
  • Member No: 30633
  • 164 Thanks
  • 217 posts

Posted May 22, 2016 - 07:37 AM

My original manual states Type A trans fluid, which would correspond to Dexron III today.  What manuals do we need?  I have the original parts and owners manual for the 1974 MW 16 my grandpa bought new.