• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 John Arsenault ONLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 783 Thanks
  • 515 posts

Posted May 20, 2016 - 06:43 PM

This is the 3rd year starting this spring of having our strawberrys. I thinned them out once before so that we could create a walking path because as the season goes on they get thicker and thicker. This year I am going to leave them alone and just let them have at it. I read that strawberrys like pine shavings so thats why i put it next to the rows  but they seem to be growing just as well in the saw dust as they are the dirt. 

20160518_111653.jpg

I'm way north of most (Maine) so this is spring for us. I have a feeling this years berrys will be nice.

Oh yeah the saw dust was also to keep the snails out they can't stand 

• Alc, hamman, lyall and 3 others have said thanks

#2 Mtypython ONLINE  

Mtypython
  • Member No: 80530
  • 259 Thanks
  • 292 posts

Posted May 20, 2016 - 07:24 PM

Nice,any size to themi need todo a garden again

#3 John Arsenault ONLINE  

John Arsenault
  • 783 Thanks
  • 515 posts

Posted May 20, 2016 - 07:32 PM

Nice,any size to themi need todo a garden again

They are just now popping up and getting flowers on them. I will try and update this later in the year to show how well they are doing . We get some big strawberrys out of here. 

#4 grattone ONLINE  

grattone
  • Member No: 66237
  • 222 Thanks
  • 167 posts

Posted May 20, 2016 - 08:14 PM

When I had strawberry's years back, I took the runners and set them down in Styrofoam coffee cups full of potting soil. Once they root I cut the runner from the main plant, and set them out in another location (bed) for next year. Worked good for me and kept them from getting too thick.

• Sawdust said thank you

#5 Bolens800uk OFFLINE  

Bolens800uk
  • Member No: 63893
  • 1,165 Thanks
  • 919 posts

Posted May 21, 2016 - 02:03 AM

This is the 3rd year starting this spring of having our strawberrys. I thinned them out once before so that we could create a walking path because as the season goes on they get thicker and thicker. This year I am going to leave them alone and just let them have at it. I read that strawberrys like pine shavings so thats why i put it next to the rows  but they seem to be growing just as well in the saw dust as they are the dirt. 

attachicon.gif20160518_111653.jpg

I'm way north of most (Maine) so this is spring for us. I have a feeling this years berrys will be nice.

Oh yeah the saw dust was also to keep the snails out they can't stand

That's a good tip about the pine shavings. I guess the acidity will deter the slugs? Cheers

#6 John Arsenault ONLINE  

John Arsenault
  • 783 Thanks
  • 515 posts

Posted May 21, 2016 - 05:50 AM

When I had strawberry's years back, I took the runners and set them down in Styrofoam coffee cups full of potting soil. Once they root I cut the runner from the main plant, and set them out in another location (bed) for next year. Worked good for me and kept them from getting too thick.

I just lift them out of the saw dust stick them into something and give them away, I started catching the runners like you mentioned when I first started this patch but found it a lot easy to just dig them up out of the saw dust.

#7 John Arsenault ONLINE  

John Arsenault
  • 783 Thanks
  • 515 posts

Posted May 21, 2016 - 05:54 AM

7-18-2013 (11).JPG

This is what the patch looked like when I first started it. I think the strawberrys like saw dust better then the dirt. 

#8 John Arsenault ONLINE  

John Arsenault
  • 783 Thanks
  • 515 posts

Posted May 21, 2016 - 06:02 AM

That's a good tip about the pine shavings. I guess the acidity will deter the slugs? Cheers

I am not sure if its the acidity in the shavings or if its because the shavings dry out the snail or cuts them up . Could be any of the 3 or all of the above. I just know it works well and we put shavings around most of our acid loving plants.

• Bolens800uk said thank you

#9 grattone ONLINE  

grattone
  • Member No: 66237
  • 222 Thanks
  • 167 posts

Posted May 21, 2016 - 06:54 AM

Good looking patch 

#10 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted May 21, 2016 - 12:27 PM

Dropped a big pine tree on my garden a couple years ago.Nothing will grow in it except weeds.It's just starting to green up a bit with grass this year.There was a couple inches of pine needles covering the whole garden.Tried a couple tomatoes in it last year but they stayed very small and did not produce very well.

#11 John Arsenault ONLINE  

John Arsenault
  • 783 Thanks
  • 515 posts

Posted May 21, 2016 - 04:59 PM

Dropped a big pine tree on my garden a couple years ago.Nothing will grow in it except weeds.It's just starting to green up a bit with grass this year.There was a couple inches of pine needles covering the whole garden.Tried a couple tomatoes in it last year but they stayed very small and did not produce very well.

You may have to amend  your soil depending on what your planting. Pine needles I believe are even more acidic then the shavings. So my guess is your soil is very acidic. If you test it and it is you can plant plants that will go well with your soil or amend your soil so that you can grow what you desire. 

I am an organic grower so I use very basic and make my own compost but still end up needed to purchase a few organic fertilizers to help things along.

5-24-2014 Early Spring (5).JPG

In this photo Is where I grow my tomatoes, I have lime, oyster shells, phosphorus rock, perlite, worm castings, coffee grounds, and home made compost from all none cooked food and plant matter. 

I also plan radish early season to distract the bugs such as cucumber beetles and I plant  onion for tomato horn worm. ... 

To be successful at gardening  there are a lot of things to know the best place to start is the soil your planting in.

• EricFromPa said thank you

#12 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted May 21, 2016 - 05:06 PM

Tell ya 1 thing don't use Horse manure lol.You'll have so many weeds that you'll want to give up and till in the whole garden.BUT the tomato plants got HUGE.I'm talking 8 foot tall Beef Steak plants and Huge 2-3lb tomatoes lol.