74 power king fluids

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Rocketcity OFFLINE  

• Member No: 82091
  • 14 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted May 20, 2016 - 05:46 AM

So my tractor is back from repair. Governor gear replaced and new exhaust in place. New battery and tightening up the wire to starter and I'm off and running. By the way I saw some wires that were just laying in engine bay. Looking back at old pictures I believe they are from the stator. I reconnected them to the rectifier. Glad I took pictures before the repairs.
So I need to change fluids. Transmission squeals a little in 1st and 2nd. I received the recommendation of 50 50 mix of stp gear and 80 to 90 w gear oil. I need to know process of changing fluids. Do I need to run for a while to get oil warm then drain. Do I need to flush transmission before refilling? If so how do I do that and what do I need to flush with? I am planning on doing this with panel on if I can. What size socket do I need for the square plug? Does NAPA or Wal-Mart have these oils?
Any other fluids that I need to change? The engine oil was replaced with 30 1st already. Everyone has been so helpful.

#2 Bill 76 OFFLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,629 Thanks
  • 1,043 posts

Posted May 20, 2016 - 04:12 PM

Can't help you with the plug size , I use a open end wrench and reach up from the bottom of the tunnel to remove fill plug--no need to warm it up , there's a good chance there is some water in it- if so, I would put some fuel oil or kerosene in it to rinse it out and refill.DO NOT FILL TO TOP --only about 1/2 below fill plug--I use 85w140 in mine --the thick lube helps stop the gears from turning when depressing the clutch--I have no opinion on the STP --napa will have the gear lube , wally world maybe. 

Then change the lube in the bull gears on each side in the back -- much easer --use same lube , I don't recall how much goes in them , someone here will let you know or down load the manual. 

as long as your on a lube adventure change the differential lube -- no drain plug here , you have to remove the cover to drain it--big mess-- you will probably need a new gasket - I sealed mine back up with silicone gasket maker --refill with same  lube  as used in transmission and bull gears.

Hope the squeal goes away.

• Gtractor said thank you