• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 1,134 posts

Posted May 19, 2016 - 08:14 PM

ok maybe I am overlooking something and I am looking for next advice.

k181 engine

my 854 runs strong and fine for 20 minutes then dies. I can then jump it but seems underpowered with the mower on. then the next day it's ok but with the same issue.

the engine is fine it's all new fuel system, plug, points, condensor. it runs an idles fine.

the battery is 2 year old neverstart from Walmart, which always seems to struggle to crank over to start.
so I am going to get a battery from napa tomorrow with more cranking amps.

what kills it after it runs? I was thinking voltage regulator? or the delco starter generator? or coil? anyway to test them?

this is why I like my pull starts!!

#2 MolonLabe OFFLINE  

MolonLabe

Rust Wrangler

• Member No: 59683
  • 411 Thanks
  • 215 posts

Posted May 20, 2016 - 03:57 AM

Sure sounds like a charging system issue. I would first check the battery voltage before and after starting to see if the voltage increases when the engine is running. If the voltage doesn't increase when running check for loose leads on the voltage regulator and ammeter.

Attached File  854 Wiring.pdf   191.67KB   21 downloads

Good luck!

#3 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 1,134 posts

Posted May 20, 2016 - 06:14 PM

wiring is all correct and tight. it's a charging issue.
it runs and starts like a champ off my booster box.

how do you test the starter generator? I see I can get a new voltage regulator online for 30 bucks I will swap that out too. and yes I did try polarizing the generator too. any other ideas??

#4 MolonLabe OFFLINE  

MolonLabe

Rust Wrangler

• Member No: 59683
  • 411 Thanks
  • 215 posts

Posted May 21, 2016 - 03:18 AM

Starter generators are self polarizing so that part shouldn't be an issue. Are you using a volt meter to check for output? With the engine running at mid throttle check the voltage at the armature terminal on the S/G, if lower than 13 volts ground the field terminal on the S/G and see if the voltage at the armature terminal increases to 13+ volts, if it does it would indicate a bad regulator, wiring, or bad ground at the regulator. Old school technology can sometimes be the toughest to troubleshoot.

I also agree on the pull starts, hard to beat!

#5 WH1055 ONLINE  

WH1055
  • Member No: 10981
  • 26 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted May 21, 2016 - 01:56 PM

I recently had a similar problem with my 857. It ended up being a weak fuel pump. After it sat for awhile it ran fine for awhile. You may be able to check that by bypassing the pump and keeping the tank full to see if it will run longer than the 20 minutes. I just put a pump off another tractor on mine to test it. I also thought it was an electrical problem at first.

#6 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 1,134 posts

Posted May 21, 2016 - 04:55 PM

I recently had a similar problem with my 857. It ended up being a weak fuel pump. After it sat for awhile it ran fine for awhile. You may be able to check that by bypassing the pump and keeping the tank full to see if it will run longer than the 20 minutes. I just put a pump off another tractor on mine to test it. I also thought it was an electrical problem at first.

that's interesting I wouldn't think one of those pumps would go they seem very simple. I had the pump all apart and cleaned it when I overhauled the fuel system and carb. like I said this machine runs awesome.

I had the volt meter on it I can't get a consistent reading the numbers are bouncing all over the place.