• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Mark_Rice OFFLINE  

Mark_Rice
  • Member No: 82931
  • 1 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted May 19, 2016 - 05:55 PM

Just purchased my 1978 Power King. It took some tinkering to get the mower set up right but I was pleased with the way it ran.

I had to move the battery; (I think it is the wrong one that came with it)

On side hills the seat contacted the positive cable. I turned the battery around and redid the cables and it re-started and mowed like a champ, no problems.It started several time with no problem and I put it away.

Today is the second time I wanted to use it and the tractor barely turned over one revolution. Hooked up the charger for a couple hours. A good loud click of the solenoid but nothing happens.  The battery has a charge now so I do not think it is that. After checking connections the the starter would make a strange noise but not turn. Is it shot? How do I test it?

Any suggestions?

#2 MNGB OFFLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 1,016 Thanks
  • 838 posts

Posted May 19, 2016 - 07:16 PM

Connect a jumper cable from the battery positive to the starter post if it spinns start is probably ok if it does the same then most likely the starter is bad, double check the battery connection you changed maybe they came loose.

I use GT batteries in my PK's so there is no contacting the seat and battery really don't care to be in the hot seat.

Edited by MNGB, May 19, 2016 - 07:18 PM.

#3 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,664 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted May 19, 2016 - 09:01 PM

I've not shorted seat on mine, must be too small of fella?  I have turned the battery around on these so the Neg cable might be under seat, and touching makes no diff then. I have also put battery way up front, along right side on a platform bolted to side of frame. Gives shorter cables too that way. It is just a GT batt on mine too, so does not stick out too far. Just get biggest rated one you can.  If it was starting and running good before, I bet still dead battery or ground not clean or some wire ends on cables not clean.  I would remove the bolted on end at frame or ground and put a star washer between the cable end and frame ground to get better bite for ground. If you have batt term cleaner brush, use that good on batt end.  Remove Pos end from selinoid and brush it up and the selinoid terminal and you can put small star washer there also. Don't forget to do same for cable from selinoid to the starter then too. Once engine is running, check over batt terms to see ir you get 14.5 or close volts to see if it is charging from the engine.  With engine off and key off, across batt terms should give you little over 12 volt, say . 12.4 or close.

• Glenn Ayers said thank you