Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Single vs. Twin Cylinder LFs: What are the noticable differences in operation?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 663 Thanks
  • 773 posts

Posted May 20, 2016 - 12:35 PM

NYrobbie...   I would like to know more about the dual spool valve you added...   Maybe you could do a writeup in a different post... as to not hyjack this post...

I only have a 1477 so I cannot do much compairing ,,   But interesting thread just the same... I would love to have one of the largest HT's as a real work horse,, so I love all the comments..                Thanks    sodi.

• Austen said thank you

#17 stiemmy OFFLINE  

stiemmy
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53712
  • 2,537 Thanks
  • 1,830 posts

Posted November 05, 2016 - 07:43 PM

Sorry Im a little late to the party! I have to agree to all that was said, but I have more to add. I have a 1455 with a johnson fel, a HT20, and a HT23. A few things I have noticed are that although my single is way more tourqier than a newer single, it still lacks compared to the twins.

For examle, I have pushed dirt with my 54" blade, and the ht never even grunted. I could easily loose traction, but not power. Granted I know I could have loaded it down some with more traction, but I didn't have much to do, and know for a fact my 1455 would have been cranky doing that.

Last year my buddy wanted a brush pile pushed back on his land, and I had my 1455 there. Naturally I used that to push brush back. That 1 lunger got a workin out that day. I literally had to charge the pile, and back off the pedal as I went to keep from stalling the engine. Now, yes the loader isn't made for that I know, and it wasn't any large logs or anything, but I was careful, nothing got wrecked. Point is, the HT would have just blown though without fast starts, as I know dang well the engines are up to snuff. Those twins are impressive, and a heck of alot smother.

Don't get me wrong, I like singles, but for working LARGE LOADS, it's a twins playing field hands down ;)

Edited by stiemmy, November 05, 2016 - 07:48 PM.

• Austen, ClassicBolens and Paulgo have said thanks

#18 Austen ONLINE  

Austen
  • Member No: 33768
  • 1,463 Thanks
  • 844 posts

Posted November 05, 2016 - 11:02 PM

Sorry Im a little late to the party! I have to agree to all that was said, but I have more to add. I have a 1455 with a johnson fel, a HT20, and a HT23. A few things I have noticed are that although my single is way more tourqier than a newer single, it still lacks compared to the twins.

For examle, I have pushed dirt with my 54" blade, and the ht never even grunted. I could easily loose traction, but not power. Granted I know I could have loaded it down some with more traction, but I didn't have much to do, and know for a fact my 1455 would have been cranky doing that.

Last year my buddy wanted a brush pile pushed back on his land, and I had my 1455 there. Naturally I used that to push brush back. That 1 lunger got a workin out that day. I literally had to charge the pile, and back off the pedal as I went to keep from stalling the engine. Now, yes the loader isn't made for that I know, and it wasn't any large logs or anything, but I was careful, nothing got wrecked. Point is, the HT would have just blown though without fast starts, as I know dang well the engines are up to snuff. Those twins are impressive, and a heck of alot smother.

Don't get me wrong, I like singles, but for working LARGE LOADS, it's a twins playing field hands down ;)

Thanks for the detailed review!! It's fun and interesting to hear everyone's take. It seems like the general consensus is that the twins have a lot more grunt to them which makes total sense. The singles, while still very capable, don't have the extra brute force.

Your description of being able to actually stall a single out gives me a good idea of what it would be like in comparison to the twin. I've never encountered that situation or come close to stalling out with mine and rather traction has always been the stopping point.

Bolens made a smart move in 1971 to install more HP, among over improvements, to their heaviest offering to make an already proven platform even better. :thumbs:

Edited by Austen, November 05, 2016 - 11:05 PM.

• stiemmy said thank you

#19 stiemmy OFFLINE  

stiemmy
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53712
  • 2,537 Thanks
  • 1,830 posts

Posted November 06, 2016 - 07:36 AM

I like my 1455, but I like my HT's a little bit more. Long story short, I only got an HT to put my loader on, just for more power.