3 replies to this topic

#1 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted May 19, 2016 - 10:59 AM

Planted two new Blue Berries, two Boysen Berries, two new Sweet Repeat Black Rasberries, 3 Sweet Repeat Red Rasberries, 50 new Strawberries.

Doing the strip tilling idea I talked about last year for vining stuff,

Tilled 4ft strips and left grass between the rows to mow. Planted 2 strips in three sisters, Bodacious corn, pole beans, squash/ and pumpkins, the other two will be  in cucumbers and assorted melons,

These strips are 70 ft long,

Also planted the kolarabi and the wife found another 100 Walla Walla plants so I now have two 70 ft rows of onions, planted in wide rows 4 plants across.

Bought 12 bales of straw and just  finished mulching the strawberries and asparagus.

Now I have to go back out haul all the concrete block I used to hold the plastic down till I got straw back to the stack?

Think I may be ready to go back to work? This retirement may be too tough for an old man!! :wallbanging:

• hamman, KennyP, jerseyeyes and 1 other said thanks

#2 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted May 19, 2016 - 11:11 AM

Retirement hell, I'll have to work til noon on the day of my funeral

• hamman and KennyP have said thanks

#3 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,628 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted May 19, 2016 - 12:07 PM

Retirement hell, I'll have to work til noon on the day of my funeral

I got that beat, I'll be parking cars in the funeral home lot to pay for my funeral !   LOL     JD if ya can post some pictures of how you plated those bushes. We are thinking of doing that with the same berries here next year. Good luck hope they grow. I'm not planting a thing until after Memorial day this year. In the last two years we have had to cover and uncover the garden several times until after the first of June. No sense making it hard on ourselves.                            Roger

#4 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted May 19, 2016 - 02:00 PM

I got that beat, I'll be parking cars in the funeral home lot to pay for my funeral !   LOL     JD if ya can post some pictures of how you plated those bushes. We are thinking of doing that with the same berries here next year. Good luck hope they grow. I'm not planting a thing until after Memorial day this year. In the last two years we have had to cover and uncover the garden several times until after the first of June. No sense making it hard on ourselves.                            Roger

Roger are you talking about the briars or the blueberries?  My IPAD has died and have misplaced the charger for my camera, but can tell you what I did. You may learn more from my mistakes than my successes though.

I think Glenn "Lyall" and his son has done better with the blueberries than I have.

• hamman, lyall and KennyP have said thanks