• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,409 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted May 19, 2016 - 06:31 AM

I bought this pump from member Billy M. He had a thread on it here. I have done a little research and found not a lot on it. I know it is good for 1100 to 1500 PSI. Read somewhere (can't find it again) it is CW rotation and Max RPM was 2000. It is a gear pump.

DSCN1668.JPG

I opened it up and it looks pretty good inside.

DSCN1669.JPG     DSCN1670.JPG

DSCN1671.JPG

I'll have to have a plate made to hook lines up to it.

DSCN1755.JPG

Here's some pics I found elsewhere. As you can see, it was gear driven also. So I'll have to get creative with how it is driven. Rules out a pulley on the front.

s-l1600.jpg     s-l1601.jpg

s-l1602.jpg     s-l1603.jpg

I'll have to make a reservoir and get a filter. I have a set of valves off a MF to use with it. Any good ideas will help!

As far as running it, I am thinking a belt to a shaft with 2 bearings to take out the side pull. Off the end of that shaft, I am contemplating one of these couplers. The shaft on the pump is 1/2" keyed. The pulley shaft would most likely be 3/4".

DSCN1756.JPG

• Traill95 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#2 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,447 Thanks
  • 6,612 posts

Posted May 19, 2016 - 08:05 AM

You ask for ideas I'm glad you didn't say good ones lol ,  anyway is there enough material to drill the holes out a little and use a pipe tap ?  Much easier getting fittings

• KennyP said thank you

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,409 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted May 19, 2016 - 08:45 AM

You ask for ideas I'm glad you didn't say good ones lol ,  anyway is there enough material to drill the holes out a little and use a pipe tap ?  Much easier getting fittings

I'd rather have a plate made with threads in it. That shouldn't be too hard to do. I don't have any pipe taps to do it.

• Alc said thank you

#4 Billy M ONLINE  

Billy M
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 15999
  • 349 Thanks
  • 355 posts

Posted May 19, 2016 - 08:48 AM

Nice to see the pump getting used!

As far as connecting lines.  How about taking a piece of square or thick flat bar stock (to make a flange), drill 4 corresponding holes in it to match the pump.  Use an NPT pipe tap to make pipe threads in the 2 middle holes of the flange to install adapter fittings for the lines as Alc said.  That way, you are not drilling/tapping on the body of the pump.  There are recesses on the pump for O-rings to seal the flange to the pump.  Make sure the adapter fittings don't extend past the mounting surface of the flange.  If they do, remove and machine/file the ends of the fittings down to clear.

As far as driving the pump, you can use a cogged belt/pulley if you are worried about over tension or slipping.  They are more expensive, but do a great job.

Edited by Billy M, May 19, 2016 - 08:49 AM.

• Alc and KennyP have said thanks

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,409 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted May 19, 2016 - 09:16 AM

Nice to see the pump getting used!

As far as connecting lines.  How about taking a piece of square or thick flat bar stock (to make a flange), drill 4 corresponding holes in it to match the pump.  Use an NPT pipe tap to make pipe threads in the 2 middle holes of the flange to install adapter fittings for the lines as Alc said.  That way, you are not drilling/tapping on the body of the pump.  There are recesses on the pump for O-rings to seal the flange to the pump.  Make sure the adapter fittings don't extend past the mounting surface of the flange.  If they do, remove and machine/file the ends of the fittings down to clear.

As far as driving the pump, you can use a cogged belt/pulley if you are worried about over tension or slipping.  They are more expensive, but do a great job.

That's what I was thinking to attach hoses to it. I'm worried about the side load a belt would have on it. Don't think it is designed for any.

#6 Billy M ONLINE  

Billy M
  • Contributor
  • 349 Thanks
  • 355 posts

Posted May 19, 2016 - 09:49 AM

That's what I was thinking to attach hoses to it. I'm worried about the side load a belt would have on it. Don't think it is designed for any.

If you want to get real creative, you could make a 90° bracket with a pulley & shaft on it (with 2 bearings).  Mount the pump behind the shaft with a Lovejoy coupling.  That way, the lateral belt stress is on the pulley/shaft.

• KennyP said thank you

#7 Eric ONLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 987 Thanks
  • 669 posts

Posted May 19, 2016 - 10:28 AM

Just a thought but I think I have seen pumps similar to that run directly off of a small electric motor, this would eliminate the side load issue and I would think whatever you would put the unit on could handle the load of a small motor.
  • KennyP said thank you

#8 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,409 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted May 19, 2016 - 11:46 AM

If you want to get real creative, you could make a 90° bracket with a pulley & shaft on it (with 2 bearings).  Mount the pump behind the shaft with a Lovejoy coupling.  That way, the lateral belt stress is on the pulley/shaft.

That's what I'm thinking.

#9 Billy M ONLINE  

Billy M
  • Contributor
  • 349 Thanks
  • 355 posts

Posted May 19, 2016 - 11:47 AM

Just a thought but I think I have seen pumps similar to that run directly off of a small electric motor, this would eliminate the side load issue and I would think whatever you would put the unit on could handle the load of a small motor.

That would work as well...depending on the duty use.  My Elec-Trak loader is electric over hydraulic, but I have a big battery bank to run the pump on it.  If you were to run an electric motor/pump much at all, it's going to drain a GT battery pretty quick.  Intermittent use should be fine.  I would definitely consider a battery upgrade if going the electric route.  I was assuming Kenny was wanting to run it off to the side of the engine like the old Cub Cadets were done.

Edited by Billy M, May 19, 2016 - 11:47 AM.

• KennyP said thank you

#10 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,449 Thanks
  • 1,603 posts

Posted May 19, 2016 - 12:27 PM

This is what happens to a side loaded pump shaft over time. This is a 7/16" shaft out of a Cessna pump that was on a Cub Cadet 147 with a Johnson Loader. This pump was driven with a belt and located at the side of the engine as mentioned above. The pump housing has a bronze sleeve bushing pressed in where the shaft rides. I would think that a ball bearing would be more suitable for a side loaded shaft in a pump like this. The pump that this shaft came from still worked, but there is quite a bit of play in the shaft. The shaft seal was also leaking badly. I've been looking for a new Cessna pump to replace this one for a while and I recently found an NOS one for 150.00. The only difference is that the ports are at the back of the pump and not on the sides. I think I'm going to make a mount with a jack shaft that runs off of a belt and couple the pump to the shaft with a Lovejoy coupling. The rotation of the pump can be easily changed, so it makes for a lot of possible mounting options. There is no sense in mounting the pump in the original location, since the pump shaft will just wear out again.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20151021_135737-1.jpg
  • 20151021_135645-1.jpg
  • 20160414_193017-1.jpg

• KennyP and jpackard56 have said thanks

#11 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,409 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted May 19, 2016 - 01:26 PM

Don't want any side load! This has a bushing as well. The jack shaft is the way to go.

• classic said thank you

#12 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,409 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted May 20, 2016 - 05:31 AM

Here is the valve I plan to use with the pump.

DSCN1758.JPG     DSCN1759.JPG

I may go ahead and mount this on Alice ahead of the pump.

• Alc and jpackard56 have said thanks

#13 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,447 Thanks
  • 6,612 posts

Posted May 20, 2016 - 05:37 AM

I was looking at the pump shaft , would that have had a gear on it ? Wouldn't a sprocket and chain drive have the same side load as a gear ?

• KennyP and jpackard56 have said thanks

#14 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,409 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted May 20, 2016 - 05:44 AM

I was looking at the pump shaft , would that have had a gear on it ? Wouldn't a sprocket and chain drive have the same side load as a gear ?

I would think the side pull of the chain would be similar to a pulley/belt. The jack shaft with Lovejoy would be a straight on twist like the original gear.

• Alc and jpackard56 have said thanks

#15 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,409 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted May 23, 2016 - 12:31 PM

Been thinking on how to actuate the valve. Handles have to be offset as the valve mounts under the edge of the seat. Think this will work.

DSCN1767.JPG

The plate will need to be a little wider, but this is just a 'dry run'.