coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted May 18, 2016 - 07:54 PM

I traded tractor with Uncle Willie a few weeks ago, my wheelhorse for hi PK 1212. I see why yall love these tractors. Simple and well built. So that started me looking around at the bigger PKs and I found a few. The prices seem somewhat reasonable but for the same price I can get bigger tractors like Farmall cubs and super A.

So my question is, why spend the money on a PK when you can get a more traditional tractor? Its not meant as a disparaging question, I am trying to see if there are advantages to the PK for the money. With a more traditional tractor I would think that you can get more implements since Cat 1 is easier to find. You get a 540 PTO also. So considering all things equal, Hydraulics, 3pth, can you tell me the advantages to a PK?

• UncleWillie said thank you

#2 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,668 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted May 18, 2016 - 08:47 PM

Well, easier to work on the PK, can make most of frame parts and such from common metals. Pto, not so good, but some had, a 2000 rpm. Just one little single cylinder engine to fix.  Just plain smaller to fit in a garage or shed maybe? You mention you bought a 1212. Now that to me is a plastic body smaller PK, not the metal ones. Those are not as liked unless you have a hydro, some better on those. Hydro and power steering won't be on the bigger tractors you mentioned, and decks on PK's are gonna be smaller to do a yard,  easier then a cub or such.  No real dramatic reason to own one.....must be the ORANGE color that attracts us to them?!

• coldone, Alc and boyscout862 have said thanks

#3 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,807 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted May 18, 2016 - 10:17 PM

Most size the tractor to what they have to do and their budget. I have a full size Ford 2000 with FEL. I've had it for 30 years and I have a bunch of land. A smaller tractor with FEL would not be adequate. For most projects around the yard, a 10hp GT will handle it. I have noticed that it is often less expensive to buy a full size tractor with an FEL than it is to buy a GT with an FEL. ITs all a matter of situation and personnel preferences. Good Luck, Rick

• coldone and Alc have said thanks

#4 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted May 19, 2016 - 04:33 AM

I guess I would say, until you own one, you would never believe what they can do.  Properly weighted, you can do some amazing things with a PK.  True, they won't out work a full size farm tractor, but for the average home owner, they are more than enough.  They outwork their own size and do it economically.  At the end of the day, it can be hauled in the back of your pickup.  Try that with a farm tractor.

• coldone and boyscout862 have said thanks

#5 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted May 19, 2016 - 05:23 AM

I guess for me anyway it was the attachments that came with it  , I started with a 1968 Jim Dandy , mower , tiller & snow plow for $1,200 from the original owner in 1983 ,  ( 15 year old tractor at the time ) Did everything I needed at that time .  I got the 2418 w/fel only because it was cheap ( no motor and broken trans )   I wouldn't spend more $$ then I thought it was worth but it seems anything that is small to mid size is more then a larger machine because more people could use them  Right now on CL I could buy an 8N size machine , good condition cheaper then most GTs lol   Would that come under " supply & demand " ?   

Edited by Alc, May 19, 2016 - 05:47 AM.

• coldone said thank you

#6 MNGB OFFLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 1,020 Thanks
  • 840 posts

Posted May 19, 2016 - 01:23 PM

Hi for me its the size I find them very handy and as the others have posted a very capable  tractor I have an Earthmaster that is smaller than an "A" Farmall but a bit bigger than a Cub, also have a "B" Farmall and while its true that the Farmall A & B's have a 540 PTO what will you use it for? The Eartmaster also has a 540 PTO and for it I have a mid mt 5" sickle mower driven by the PTO  it works great but it only gets used about 2 hrs max per yr. The PK's get about 50 hrs per yr not a lot but I also have 6 Sears Suburbans I use. All are good tractors so its what you like and what fits the job. Also the IH Cub PTO is not Std sized and I thing it may turn opposite of other tractors.

• coldone said thank you

#7 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted May 20, 2016 - 05:43 AM

Here's is a good example ,   running Farmall A for $500 !    I does make you think lol

http://allentown.cra...5595191868.html

00u0u_5rQtQ5R0XNV_600x450.jpg

#8 MNGB OFFLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 1,020 Thanks
  • 840 posts

Posted May 20, 2016 - 12:36 PM

Boy if it runs decent that's a mighty good price you should buy it Alc just in case you could use it some time :wave:  here in Mn that would be about 3 that.