Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,609 posts

Posted May 18, 2016 - 05:02 PM

It was time to hill some of the potatoes , I removed the outside tines on the PKs cultivator  and moved the others so they would loosen the soil between the plants , I ended up doing that to all the rows even those that I didn't hill yet for the weeds . I set up some hilling sweeps using the DB 600 walkbehind   The first hilling sweeps didn't move much even taking 2 passes with the second one moved closer to the plant .I changed to a different stye and while it did work better I'm sure it would have taken multiple passes . Maybe I'm just expecting too much ? 

This was done with the PK

DSCN2035.JPG

DSCN2036.JPG

This was with the first set of sweeps, left a pretty big ridge down the middle . Something else ,with using these sweeps with the bar mounted across the frame there's so much twist it bent those 3/8u-bolts and it was putting marks in the frame because of that so there's another job to figure a better way to clamps if someone has an idea

DSCN2038.JPG

DSCN2039.JPG

This is with the last set of sweeps

DSCN2043.JPG

DSCN2044.JPG

One thought was using 2 sets of sweeps at one time . The first set out wide and the second to do the hilling

DSCN2045.JPG

Edited by Alc, May 18, 2016 - 05:03 PM.

• Cvans, Traill95, HANKG and 3 others have said thanks

#2 mrmd OFFLINE  

mrmd
  • Member No: 62285
  • 207 Thanks
  • 112 posts

Posted May 18, 2016 - 05:18 PM

Your potatoes seem to coming along very nicely. I planted about a month ago and half rotted in the ground. Do you know why that happened? Going to replant more this weekend. Hundreds of questions to ask. Do you dust the seeds at planting? Do you plant in a trench or flat on the ground then hill them. We're kinda new to this and not always sure. I made a tool bar then bought 2 hiller disks from ag supply and mount them on the bar.

Mike

#3 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,102 Thanks
  • 3,196 posts

Posted May 18, 2016 - 05:47 PM

Putting the two sweeps together might work. Or much larger sweeps, I call them shovels, but that doesn't matter, what matters is , it looks to me that your not getting enough dirt for it to pile up on top of the hill to put around the base of the plant.

Noel.
  • Alc said thank you

#4 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • 6,102 Thanks
  • 3,196 posts

Posted May 18, 2016 - 05:52 PM

These are the shovels, sweeps, I am trying to find, so I can rig up some thing myself. Not a very good picture, but I saw this work on a buddies tractor, makes a nice job. It's hooked to a MF10. Shovels are very long, so they grab more dirt.

Noel.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

Edited by propane1, May 18, 2016 - 05:54 PM.

• Alc and KennyP have said thanks

#5 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted May 18, 2016 - 05:54 PM

well you could hill like that or you could look into building your self some thing more like this, mount right now on my PJ walker, was on one of the Suburbans.

Attached Thumbnails

• pj hiller 002.JPG
  • pj hiller 005.JPG
  • pj hiller 003.JPG
  • pj hiller 004.JPG
  • 628 hiller.jpg

• Alc, KennyP, Cvans and 1 other said thanks

#6 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,592 Thanks
  • 7,653 posts

Posted May 18, 2016 - 07:34 PM

These are the shovels, sweeps, I am trying to find, so I can rig up some thing myself. Not a very good picture, but I saw this work on a buddies tractor, makes a nice job. It's hooked to a MF10. Shovels are very long, so they grab more dirt.

Noel.

Could you make something like propane shows? Maybe cut them out of a discarded 100# propane tank?

Edited by LilysDad, May 18, 2016 - 07:34 PM.

• Alc said thank you

#7 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,609 posts

Posted May 18, 2016 - 08:35 PM

Mike the potatoes that were big enough to hill were planted in a furrow using potatoes left over from last years crop , they were very shriveled and had long sprouts coming out . Uncut just as they were , the new seed potatoes I cut and let skin over a few days before planting about 2 weeks later . Those not all have sprouted
  • Lauber1 and propane1 have said thanks

#8 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted May 18, 2016 - 09:27 PM

Mike the potatoes that were big enough to hill were planted in a furrow using potatoes left over from last years crop , they were very shriveled and had long sprouts coming out . Uncut just as they were , the new seed potatoes I cut and let skin over a few days before planting about 2 weeks later . Those not all have sprouted

I have found that planting whole ones seems to work better than cutting them, as they don't have to heal or get set back.

• Alc and propane1 have said thanks

#9 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,609 posts

Posted May 19, 2016 - 05:45 AM

Found some pics  of some sweeps that might be buildable , this ones on a larger tractor but I'm sure it could be made a little smaller ' using something like LilysDad suggested , propane tank , I do have a bladder tank that's ready for scrap but would need to figure out how to get the rubber out first

005.jpg

Found this on CL

00M0M_g75JjoRstkx_600x450.jpg

http://lancaster.cra...5567395906.html

• Cvans, Sawdust and CanadianHobbyFarmer have said thanks

#10 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted May 19, 2016 - 07:47 AM

Al can you adjust your sweeps closer together, so they throw the dirt closer to the plant,

Mine are 14 inch discs, I have found that the ground speed also has a lot to do with how far the soil is turned to the center,

I have learned to adjust my speed based on the size of the plants to control coverage,

The type of sweeps you are using should work fine,

Do not get discouraged it just might take some experimenting,

• Alc and Sawdust have said thanks

#11 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,711 Thanks
  • 1,720 posts

Posted May 19, 2016 - 08:14 AM

I made this out of a old Allis Chalmers cultivator that I got for scrap price. It works great, I made rows for my potatoes but I didn't get a chance to hill them because of rain and now they are to tall.

Attached Thumbnails

• Planting Potatoes 029.jpg
  • Planting Potatoes 028.jpg

• Alc said thank you

#12 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • 6,102 Thanks
  • 3,196 posts

Posted May 19, 2016 - 06:12 PM

Those on the farm tractor picture are what I was talking about. Same as the ones in the picture I posted. They would work good. That's what I am going to find or make.

Noel
  • Alc said thank you

#13 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted May 20, 2016 - 08:22 AM

The disc hillers work very well. I bought mine from agri-supply. Was working and very busy at the time, so gave them to my dad and a picture of what I wanted and he built it for me. It is heavier than I needed since he built the frame from scrap I beams.

I have it mounted on a 1500 ford with cat 1 hitch the 14 inch discs are bigger than one would need. If I were doing it over I would use a 2x 2 square tube so the discs could slide in and out to adjust width. I used a heavy angle and drilled holes the length of the angle, and broke the table off the drill press in the process?

On a garden tractor 10 or 12 inch discs would be plenty. IF you do a google search for potato hillers there are tons of pictures to give you ideas.  I use mine to also make wide rows for planting things like onions etc.

• Alc said thank you

#14 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,864 Thanks
  • 2,788 posts

Posted May 21, 2016 - 03:31 PM

I went with the trench deal adding a few inches of top soil as they came up which seemed to be almost every day I have now hilled them. We'll see what happens from here.

• Alc said thank you

#15 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,609 posts

Posted May 22, 2016 - 09:41 AM

I was at the Jacktown flea market yesterday with my friend Joe and was talking about my hilling problems , we walked past a furrow attachment for a TroyBuilt tiller and he mentioned that maybe I could make something out of that . I do have one but didn't want to ruin it for making furrows . Thought maybe I could attach the wings to a set of hillers I already have . Not sure if I can heat and bend the edges flat or maybe easier to weld a flat plate ,either way i would drill holes so the wings   could be put back on the furrower .Anyone modify  sweeps or plows that could give some advise ? 

DSCN2052.JPG DSCN2053.JPG