jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted May 18, 2016 - 10:54 AM

Been running these Bolen's weights. Momma's scale shows 48.2 lbs each (remember this is the scale Momma says lies ?)

IMG_20160512_180139.jpg

Unloaded 23 x 9.50 -12 turf wheel and tire was 28.4 lbs so 76.6 altogether.

I'm at 220 lbs, was still getting too much slippage in certain areas of mowing. Docs want me to loose another twenty...(don't hold your breath)

So, got the tires filled with Rim Guard. They now weigh in at 100.4 lbs each without any cast weights.

Still can get slippage in a couple areas. If I hadn't had a neck fusion the snap when they catch probably wouldn't bother me, but it does...

Didn't want to go to lug tires for mowing around house.

Have these at 28.5 lbs each IMG_20160512_180219.jpg

and these at 52.4 lbs eachIMG_20160512_180205.jpg

Here is my thought, put the red Cub ones on for now and IF I do loose some more weight change over to the Bolen's or Yellow ones. But then I'm kinda worried about how much can this more modern rear axle really take? This was supposed to be the better axle in 2010 over the LT series, but the whole unit is NOT up to the standards of my older Cubs.

Opinions please ?

• CRFarnsworth and bgkid2966 have said thanks

#2 olds45512 OFFLINE  

olds45512
  • Member No: 77943
  • 609 Thanks
  • 349 posts

Posted May 18, 2016 - 11:25 AM

You can run as much weight on the wheels as you want and not hurt anything, wheel weights don't put stress on the tractor and axle bearings. The extra weight would only be bad if the tractor is belt driven but even then it should be OK.
  • jpackard56 said thank you

#3 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 61865
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted May 18, 2016 - 11:43 AM

You might consider lowering your tire pressure some for more traction if you dont want to change tire style..but no matter how much weight you put on it..only so much traction you are going to get with turf tires..

Edited by Auburn David, May 18, 2016 - 11:43 AM.

• MH81 and jpackard56 have said thanks

#4 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,506 Thanks
  • 3,386 posts

Posted May 18, 2016 - 12:08 PM

More weight is better for grass traction, remembering that on grassy lawns, the idea is not to break the surface in order to get traction. AG, lug, mud and snow treads, are all designed to break the slick surface and dig in, you don't want to dig your lawn! There's a reason turf tires are called that. You want to create surface tension without slippage, more weight forces out water, which is a terrific lubricant, and creates more surface to surface contact.
  • jpackard56 and Auburn David have said thanks

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,300 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted May 18, 2016 - 01:30 PM

New tire composition is part of the problem.
I'm sure lowering psi will help, eventually it could lead to more sidewall cracking, but again the tire composition leads to it anyways.
I would let some air out and see.
  • jpackard56 and Auburn David have said thanks

#6 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9923
  • 1,401 Thanks
  • 1,230 posts

Posted May 18, 2016 - 05:37 PM

I've been mowing for quite some time on lug tires with no Ill effect. Couple years ago I was running filled 23x10.50. Last 2 years have been 26x12 tru powers on a Deere 420. None are light weights by any means. I wouldn't worry so much about hurting things. If it is wet, they'll leave a mark but it is gone by the time I go back and look. If it's that soft, I probably shouldn't be mowing anyways and a turf would get stuck.

Eric

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
  • MH81, jpackard56, WHdbJD and 1 other said thanks

#7 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,110 Thanks
  • 3,202 posts

Posted May 18, 2016 - 06:56 PM

This is what I mow with around two houses. Most all my garden tractors, that I mow with, have ag tires on the rear and three rib on the front. I have no lawn marking. I have some small hills and have to be turning around trees and bushes, while going up hill. If a turf tire slips, it leaves a long mark on top of the grass, if an ag tire slips, it won't for very long before you regain traction. It will only move the sod a little. It regrows and you never know it happened. And while your slipping and stuck with turf tires, your wasting time and fuel.

Just my opinion, that's for my lawns. Your land, topsoil and grass type maybe different than mine.

Noel

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg

• MH81 and jpackard56 have said thanks

#8 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • 3,506 Thanks
  • 3,386 posts

Posted May 19, 2016 - 09:39 AM

Back in my days of racing go karts, drag racing, racing hydroplanes, then off shore boats, I use to beat my head against the wall thinking I knew better than the experts that designed specific products for specific jobs. I finally decided to just fine tune what the engineers developed through countless hours of research and testing, my life got much easier. :thumbs:

#9 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted May 20, 2016 - 05:49 PM

Back in my days of racing go karts, drag racing, racing hydroplanes, then off shore boats, I use to beat my head against the wall thinking I knew better than the experts that designed specific products for specific jobs. I finally decided to just fine tune what the engineers developed through countless hours of research and testing, my life got much easier. :thumbs:

I agree as long as the engineers aren't trying to build something that intentionally breaks or wears out before a reasonable time of use has passed, like too many products today.

My concern is the paperwork with this thing lists weights as optional equipment, but the local dealers can't/won't tell me what it can handle. But they are more than willing to sell me a set of plastic covered weights for a lot more than the Rim Guard ended up costing me.

• propane1 and toppop52 have said thanks

#10 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted May 20, 2016 - 06:04 PM

Thanks everybody !

I already had lowered the air pressure and was running the Bolens weights, was still getting too much slippage. I have Ags or ATV tires on every other working unit on the farm, except the snow Gt with chains and this mower for around the house itself. In fact I have a good set of Bridgestone 9.5 X 16 Turfs in the for sale postings because that tractor couldn't do anything around here without the Ags.

I was hoping somebody had some inside scoop specifically on these newer 2500 series Cub axles.

Thanks again,

Jim

Since I actually got on tonight I wanted to make sure I mention this other issue too. So if a mod reads this I've played heck lately trying to sign in because the sign-in box is coming up over an ad. When I hit to sign-on it opens the ad and leaves me out ??? Not sure if its on my end or if others are seeing that same issue or even where that should be posted. Thanks,Jim

• MH81 and propane1 have said thanks

#11 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,110 Thanks
  • 3,202 posts

Posted May 20, 2016 - 06:29 PM

Sorry Jim, no knowledge of that type of tractor. Everything I have is 35 years old or older. But I would say, that it can't handle the weight that the older ones do. On my lgt 165 ford, I have 200 lb hanging off the back, plus me in the seat, about 200 lb. don't know if there is a rating for the older ones or not.

Noel

#12 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • 3,506 Thanks
  • 3,386 posts

Posted May 20, 2016 - 08:25 PM

I agree as long as the engineers aren't trying to build something that intentionally breaks or wears out before a reasonable time of use has passed, like too many products today.
My concern is the paperwork with this thing lists weights as optional equipment, but the local dealers can't/won't tell me what it can handle. But they are more than willing to sell me a set of plastic covered weights for a lot more than the Rim Guard ended up costing me.

I agree with your thoughts, and I really wasn't specifically talking to you at all. My main point was that we often try and reinvent the wheel, when all we need to do is balance the tires, if you know what I mean. Been guilty of it many times myself.

Edited by toppop52, May 20, 2016 - 08:27 PM.

#13 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,300 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted May 20, 2016 - 08:32 PM

Thanks everybody !
I already had lowered the air pressure and was running the Bolens weights, was still getting too much slippage. I have Ags or ATV tires on every other working unit on the farm, except the snow Gt with chains and this mower for around the house itself. In fact I have a good set of Bridgestone 9.5 X 16 Turfs in the for sale postings because that tractor couldn't do anything around here without the Ags.
I was hoping somebody had some inside scoop specifically on these newer 2500 series Cub axles.
Thanks again,
Jim

Since I actually got on tonight I wanted to make sure I mention this other issue too. So if a mod reads this I've played heck lately trying to sign in because the sign-in box is coming up over an ad. When I hit to sign-on it opens the ad and leaves me out ??? Not sure if its on my end or if others are seeing that same issue or even where that should be posted. Thanks,Jim

Jim,
Would it be possible for you to get a screen shot of that?
I am sending Austin a link to the post where you brought it up, but if you have a picture of it, it may help him