• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Rocketcity OFFLINE  

Rocketcity
  • Member No: 82091
  • 14 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted May 18, 2016 - 06:19 AM

Well I posted a while ago that I had broken my governer cross shaft.  I rotated too far counterclockwise and broke the tab off.  I picked it up last night.  Was running good.  The mechanic put a fuel shut off in a location that is easily accessible.  He shut off fuel when I had it on the trailer.  I cranked at home pulled it in the garage but did not flip that switch to allow for fuel.  I am assuming it ran the rest out of the carb.  Well it did not go far and just quit.  I remembered the fuel switch and turned it parallel to get fuel.  But it would not start.  It would turn over but never would start.   It soon would not turn over, seemed like the battery was loosing charge.  So I hooked up a charger and let it sit for 10 min.  It would then turn over and not start but after a few turns of the key would not turn over but make a single pop when I turned the switch.  I am very frustrated to say the least.   I pulled the battery and all the wiring looks in place.   Where should I start first?  Solenoid? The lights work fine.  How do I test or trouble shoot with my multimeter?  I just need it up and running.   

Matthew

• Traill95 said thank you

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,795 Thanks
  • 7,542 posts

Posted May 18, 2016 - 07:53 AM

Depending on the size of your charger, it can take a few hours to charge the battery. Don't try to start on a low battery because that will put a heavy strain on the starter and lead to early burnout. As far as the fuel, the tank may need to be close to full to prime the fuel system. Charge the battery, fill the tank, turn the fuel shutoff to the open position, wait 5 minutes, check for leaks of fuel, and if okay try to start it. Let us know how you make out. Good Luck, Rick

• MNGB said thank you

#3 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted May 18, 2016 - 08:01 AM

Fuel at carb?

#4 grattone OFFLINE  

grattone
  • Member No: 66237
  • 222 Thanks
  • 167 posts

Posted May 18, 2016 - 08:15 AM

I keep a small spray bottle ( like nose spray comes in ) in the garage with gas in it. If I can't get a quick start with the choke I spray a little gas it the carburetor, that will usually tell you if you have a gas or ignition problem. If its easier, pull the plug and squirt gas in the cylinder.

Saves on running battery down. I agree with Rick on the charge and early burnout on the starter.

Hope this helps

Gratton

• MNGB said thank you

#5 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 1,008 Thanks
  • 835 posts

Posted May 18, 2016 - 09:13 AM

Hi Matt, take a deep breath relax and think about this the engine started at the mechanics shop you drove it on the trailer got home and forgot to turn the fuel on but the engine started and ran until it had no more gas cause the fuel was shut off so that says there's nothing wrong with the engine or electrical system with the exception of the battery the battery is weak maybe old and there is no way it will recharge in 10 minuets it will take 2/ 3 hrs or more  also the engine has battery ignition so as the battery gets low so does the voltage and with that the spark gets weak so now you have a waek battery slowing turning the engine over weak spark and no fuel, engine no start, Charge the battery for a good 3 / 4 hours or get a new battery turn the fuel on for 10 min so it gets to the carb then as the Kohler manual says open the throttle half way pull the choke out and it will start.

Edited by MNGB, May 18, 2016 - 09:14 AM.

• Alc said thank you

#6 Rocketcity OFFLINE  

Rocketcity
  • 14 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted May 18, 2016 - 10:21 AM

Thanks for the replies and advice. My concern is the poping sound that I heard. Is it probable that battery was so weak that the solenoid worked but not enough electricity for the starter to turn over?

#7 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • 1,008 Thanks
  • 835 posts

Posted May 18, 2016 - 05:23 PM

Hi check to make sure all the battery cable connections on the solenoid and on the starter maybe one didn't get tightened real good.  

#8 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,624 posts

Posted May 19, 2016 - 05:32 AM

take a deep breath relax and think about this

That's probably  the best advice all of us should use whenever something happens ,  

• MNGB said thank you

#9 Rocketcity OFFLINE  

Rocketcity
  • 14 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted May 19, 2016 - 01:55 PM

Well I replaced the battery with the same outcome. Just a solid click sound originating from the solenoid when I turn the key. The engine is not turning over at all. Any thoughts? Is solenoid bad? Matthew

#10 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • 1,008 Thanks
  • 835 posts

Posted May 19, 2016 - 02:01 PM

Use a jumper cable from the battery positive to the starter post if it turns over the starter is good if not the starter is bad, if starter is good connect the jumper to the battery post on the solenoid and try the key switch if it works the cable from the battery is bad or has a poor connection, did you clean the cable connections at the battery good?

#11 Rocketcity OFFLINE  

Rocketcity
  • 14 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted May 19, 2016 - 03:16 PM

Thanks, cable connections look great. I'll try to diagnose with the jumper cables tonight. Matthew

#12 Rocketcity OFFLINE  

Rocketcity
  • 14 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted May 19, 2016 - 08:05 PM

Here is the update. I tried to bypass the solenoid with jumper cables and a fresh battery. I got nothing. I took your advice and tightened everything I could. It worked. It seemed the wire from solenoid to the started was not very tight but was in place. Weird for it to work at beginning then decide not to. So I got it cranked and cut grass in back yard. Next on list is changing transmission fluids. It seems to whine in 1st gear. Any recommendation on what weight oil you guys have used? Thanks for the support and advice. Matthew

#13 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • 1,008 Thanks
  • 835 posts

Posted May 19, 2016 - 08:11 PM

Hi many myself included use a 50 / 50 mix of STP and 80 - 90 wt gear lube. Good to hear you found the problem and its up and going.

Edited by MNGB, May 19, 2016 - 08:12 PM.

• Alc said thank you