• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Gabriel OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 52459
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted May 17, 2016 - 07:09 PM

This past winter I worked on a Massey Ferguson 230 gas tractor for a neighbor. Some of the work I did was on the ignition system. I replaced the points, rotor, condenser, distributor cap, spark plug wires, coil wire, and spark plugs. I did not replace the coil because it was not the original (Says Agco on it), so I assumed that it was new enough that it didn't need to be replaced. The tractor ran better with all these new parts and the owner's Dad used it for about a month and a half which amounted to about 8 hours of use without any problems. The owner emailed me a while back and said that it wasn't running right and he wanted me to look at it again. When he brought it it wouldn't start, so I figured it was probably the coil since that was all that was left to replace ignition- wise apart from the whole distributor. I also thought maybe the points could be out of adjustment but I checked them and they are where they're supposed to be. I replaced the coil and the engine would then run, but it has sporadic spark. Adjusting the distributor timing (turning the whole distributor side to side) didn't help. I even pulled the whole distributor out and retimed everything like the service manual says to and that didn't help. What could be wrong? Could the condenser going bad cause it to run like this? All parts where replaced with OEM (Mallory) parts. It has had the Prestolite distributor replaced with a Mallory Ignition distributor at some point in the tractor's life.

• esteril18 said thank you

#2 Mtypython OFFLINE  

• Member No: 80530
  • 250 Thanks
  • 283 posts

Posted May 17, 2016 - 07:15 PM

That or a ballast resistor if it has one or a wire shorting out maybe
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#3 propane1 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 54307
  • 5,883 Thanks
  • 3,116 posts

Posted May 17, 2016 - 08:53 PM

Bad ground on the condenser. Are the gas and air ok. Make sure the plugs are correct. Just some ideas.

#4 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,119 Thanks
  • 5,668 posts

Posted May 18, 2016 - 07:55 AM

Grounds, grounds and did I mention grounds?

#5 Bud W OFFLINE  

Bud W

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2359
  • 221 Thanks
  • 209 posts

Posted May 18, 2016 - 09:30 AM

I would guess a bad condenser, I've seen a couple bad ones (even 1 new out of the box) that would make weak spark and cause the engine to run real bad.