Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Toro Mower with Briggs and a Governor Problem.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 JBRamsey ONLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 973 Thanks
  • 587 posts

Posted May 17, 2016 - 06:49 PM

This is a friend of mine's mower. The engine runs well, except..... The mechanical governor is either wide open or basically at an idle. Supposedly it ran fine last year and this year would not speed up and died under load in thick grass.

I got it and changed the oil, filter, plug, sea foam, cleaned carb, real gas and played with the governor. I can only get it to run wide open or idle.

Maintenance has been poor on this mower. It checked full of oil, or at least some oil like substance but only maybe six ounces came out. I overfilled it when refilling and used just over half a pint. As I understand, it should hold almost a pint.

I've never dealt with a mechanical governor because I've never had a problem with one. I have a theory as to what's going on but I want Input from more knowledgeable people first. The governor rod into the block seems to move pretty easily but is not functioning.

It's an older mower but older doesn't equal no good in my mind. image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

#2 Eric ONLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 1,002 Thanks
  • 678 posts

Posted May 17, 2016 - 07:01 PM

I see your problem, it says gauranteed to start not run well or cut grass, just to start!
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#3 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,123 Thanks
  • 3,208 posts

Posted May 17, 2016 - 08:59 PM

Govenor gumed up inside, by the look of that oil.

Noel
  • JBRamsey said thank you

#4 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 61865
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted May 17, 2016 - 09:08 PM

No..Alabama has a Governor Problem...this mower can be fixed!!!  Bhahahaha...sorry but I had to...(My first point I bet)

• propane1 said thank you

#5 JBRamsey ONLINE  

JBRamsey
  • 973 Thanks
  • 587 posts

Posted May 17, 2016 - 09:38 PM

Noel, that's my theory, too--gummed up inside. I'm tempted to run some kerosene through it and see what I can get to dissolve.

#6 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,736 Thanks
  • 4,290 posts

Posted May 18, 2016 - 12:02 AM

Are you sure you're not missing a spring? A spring should hold the throttle open against the governor when the engine is off. when it starts the governor works against the spring to take the throttle towards idle. The amount the throttle cable pulls against the spring, the faster it runs. What is the colored looking stuff in the oil? Some of the governor gears are plastic.

#7 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • 6,123 Thanks
  • 3,208 posts

Posted May 18, 2016 - 04:34 AM

That's what I was thinking too. Kerosene will clean it up. And the oil in the pan has the reflection of a tree in it. Oil was some flat to get that picture. Just my guess.

Noel

#8 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted May 18, 2016 - 07:53 AM

Dirty oil seems to make a pretty good mirror

#9 JBRamsey ONLINE  

JBRamsey
  • 973 Thanks
  • 587 posts

Posted May 18, 2016 - 11:30 AM

It has a spring on it.  It's rough but I'm presuming it didn't get worse while sitting in the shed during the winter. 

That is a tree reflection in the oil.  What little oil drained out of it.  This thing checked full on the dipstick but that's all that drained out.  I drained it from the bottom plug.

There's no throttle control on these engines, at least not in the traditional sense of using it to speed up or slow down the engine.  Hold the bar which moves the cable.  Start it.  Hold the other bar to engage the wheels. 

I have a John Deere(not because I'm a Deere fan, but because it was a really good deal) with effectively the same engine.  I'll compare the carb, governor and spring set ups. 

When I got it, it would only run at a fast idle.  After I started messing with the governor it only runs at fast idle or wide hold on to your ears she's going to throw a rod open. 

I'm still leaning towards it's gummed up inside.

#10 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • 6,123 Thanks
  • 3,208 posts

Posted May 18, 2016 - 12:38 PM

Must be gummed up some where if that's all the oil that came out.
Let us know how you get it fixed.

Noel.