10 replies to this topic

#1 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,136 Thanks
  • 4,487 posts

Posted May 17, 2016 - 06:34 PM

Changing filter & oil in my 882 Hydro.  Have 4 qt. of Hytran back in but when one pours the oil in the same 3/8" hole that it wants to vent from makes for an oily mess.  Has to be a way to vent that case but I have not figured it out yet.  Any suggestions?

#2 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 987 Thanks
  • 669 posts

Posted May 17, 2016 - 07:03 PM

We used to use a small flexible tube ran on the outside of our funnels into the top of the case. it only helps a little but does stop some of the burp mess.
  • chieffan said thank you

#3 stiemmy ONLINE  

stiemmy
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53712
  • 1,287 Thanks
  • 1,094 posts

Posted May 17, 2016 - 07:07 PM

Stick a flexi straw through the funnel, and bend the end. Its not the cure all, but works on the cheap. Cheers;)
  • HDWildBill and chieffan have said thanks

#4 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,136 Thanks
  • 4,487 posts

Posted May 17, 2016 - 07:23 PM

That is about what I was think of trying.  Was hoping someone had good cure all for the plug Cub forgot.  I have about 2' of small fuel line I my give a try tomorrow.  Only about half way there yet.  I have not been using a funnel - using a Qt. oil can with flexible pour spout.  Has worked good to keep a small stream of oil going in but don't always get it stopped in time for burp.  Thanks much for the info guys.

Edited by chieffan, May 17, 2016 - 07:26 PM.

#5 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,568 Thanks
  • 29,820 posts

Posted May 17, 2016 - 07:52 PM

I use a small hand pump to put trans fluid in.  No problems with any mess since.  It's a pump made to put oil into outboard lower units.

I just pulled the fitting off the end of the tube & push the tube deep into the hydro and start pumping.  I got mine at Walmart in the boating section of automotive.

pump.jpg

• coldone, CRFarnsworth, HDWildBill and 2 others have said thanks

#6 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 61865
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted May 17, 2016 - 08:56 PM

Thank God mine has a tank..it holds 6 gallons of hydro..that would take for ever..

#7 framesteer OFFLINE  

framesteer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11301
  • 330 Thanks
  • 162 posts

Posted May 17, 2016 - 10:21 PM

The soda straw works really well when you're trying to put 90w gear oil into small gearboxes.  I buy the gear oil in squeeze quart bottles, snip the tip off the spout and push it into a large soda straw.  There is enough space around the outside of the straw to let the air out as you squirt the oil in.

• Sawdust and chieffan have said thanks

#8 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted May 18, 2016 - 07:51 AM

I've used the "straw" method on quite a few things

#9 olds45512 ONLINE  

olds45512
  • Member No: 77943
  • 607 Thanks
  • 348 posts

Posted May 18, 2016 - 09:01 AM

Alot of cub guys modify the rearend to have a permanent vent. You have to pull the rear cover off and lay a rag or something in the rearend, then you drill a hole in the top of the rearend and thread it to accept a barbed fitting of your choice. Once that's installed you hook a short piece of hose to it and then attach a fuel filter to the hose, the filter will allow air to pass freely but keep dirt out. Once this mod is done you can pour the fluid in without issue.

#10 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,136 Thanks
  • 4,487 posts

Posted May 20, 2016 - 08:47 AM

Lot of great suggestions here.  I had some1/4" vinyl hose on hand so put of piece of that down the fill tube to vet the air.  Went to a small funnel and added the last  2 - 1/2 qts.  Got it over full but went down some when the filter and the hydraulics got filled again.  Will drain a little more out this morning to get it to the full level.

I like the idea of the vent hole in the back plate and thought of that after I was done. (20/20 hind sight)   Drill a hole, tap it and put a screw with rubber washer in when done.  Would only be needed when filling as the cap has a vent hole.

The new oil and filter got the lift back going again too.  Will get the brake rod built today and get them back together and hooked up.

Need to check some more on the starting circuit though.  New 425 cca battery and it wont turn over fast enough continuously to start it.  Hook a booster pack to the battery and it fires right off.  Cleaned all the terminals and charged the battery so will see what happens now.  Next will be pull the starter and have it looked at.

#11 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,136 Thanks
  • 4,487 posts

Posted May 20, 2016 - 04:04 PM

I use a small hand pump to put trans fluid in.  No problems with any mess since.  It's a pump made to put oil into outboard lower units.

I just pulled the fitting off the end of the tube & push the tube deep into the hydro and start pumping.  I got mine at Walmart in the boating section of automotive.

attachicon.gifpump.jpg

Very good idea.  I even have one in my lube cabinet from my boating/fishing days.  Forgot I even had it.  Been a few years.