LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 874
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 882 posts

Posted May 17, 2016 - 04:16 PM

My "best" HT23 has had a problem recently where the ignition switch was messing up mechanically, to the point that it would bend the key to get it to the start position. I guess it was not a big surprise, given that it appeared to be the original Indak switch from 1979.

Did a little research, and waded through the catalogs at my very local, and friendly, OPE dealer, and found that Oregon has the switch as part number 33-393, which is also the JD number AM103286. Both Stens and Rotary have equivalent switches, all for considerably less than $20. And my OPE guy had one in stock, so all in all a good day, and no more bent keys!

• blackjackjakexxix, boyscout862, Austen and 1 other said thanks

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,201 posts

Posted May 17, 2016 - 05:12 PM

Have you tried this switch out yet? I'm assuming its the 1721409 your interchanging?

I have not had much luck with that switch and have never sold it as a replacement, I have had guys buy from somewhere claiming that they found a 1721409 replacement but when installed on the tractor they dont work, internally different

That switch you mentioned sells for $ 16.30 from me but we use it as a gravely application

• OldBuzzard, LPBolens, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#3 LPBolens OFFLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 874
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 882 posts

Posted May 17, 2016 - 06:26 PM

Have you tried this switch out yet? I'm assuming its the 1721409 your interchanging?

I have not had much luck with that switch and have never sold it as a replacement, I have had guys buy from somewhere claiming that they found a 1721409 replacement but when installed on the tractor they dont work, internally different

That switch you mentioned sells for $ 16.30 from me but we use it as a gravely application

I have it on the HT23 tractor in question and it works just fine. And yes, I am using it to replace the #1721409 switch. The Oregon switch I bought has the same designations for each terminal as the original switch, which to me says that as a 3-position 5-terminal switch, it has to be effectively the same internally. And the 5 terminal connector in the tractor wiring connects with no problems. Last test? The headlights work with the switch in the "Run" position.

Now, how long the new Oregon switch will last? Only time will tell.

• OldBuzzard, boyscout862 and Paulgo have said thanks

#4 blackjackjakexxix ONLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,352 Thanks
  • 1,763 posts

Posted May 17, 2016 - 07:04 PM

I'm currently selling an aftermarket switch that works on the HT-18,1886,HT-20,HT-23,BUT it does NOT work on the 1254,1256,and others with the solid state ignition box, ???,I have made sure I listed it for only those HT tractors,I have had no complaints and no problems,no returns,and am currently using them on my tractors,they work as they should and are a whole lot cheaper than the other factory switch

Edited by blackjackjakexxix, May 17, 2016 - 07:12 PM.

• OldBuzzard, LPBolens and boyscout862 have said thanks

#5 ClassicBolens ONLINE  

ClassicBolens
  • Member No: 48806
  • 953 Thanks
  • 378 posts

Posted May 17, 2016 - 09:06 PM

I've been using these switches for a few years with no issues or complaints. I will say this though, I never recommend an aftermarket switch openly simply because some people just don't understand that they're not all the same, even though they look alike. Saves a lot of trouble and confusion and the arguments of "I can get this same switch at superautopartsplaceofyourchoice for $7.99."
  • OldBuzzard, LPBolens, blackjackjakexxix and 1 other said thanks

#6 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted May 18, 2016 - 07:48 AM

Aftermarket parts normally "suck" as a rule of thumb

#7 blackjackjakexxix ONLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,352 Thanks
  • 1,763 posts

Posted May 18, 2016 - 08:00 AM

Aftermarket parts normally "suck" as a rule of thumb

In most cases I agree,but with factory parts drying up and no longer being made we have to go that route sometimes,and have no choise

#8 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted May 18, 2016 - 08:03 AM

In most cases I agree,but with factory parts drying up and no longer being made we have to go that route sometimes,and have no choise

I know that ALL too well