Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Shop press idea (Opinions?)

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted May 17, 2016 - 01:59 PM

I've been wanting a 20 ton shop press from Harbor Freight for some time now and I think I'm finally going to go for it when they go on sale again.  Here's my question.  I don't have any one certain place I want to set this thing up.  Would there be any harm in mounting this thing on locking casters so I can roll it out when I need it?  Would the casters have to be really strong expensive ones?  I assume there is no real harm in doing this since the whole thing only weighs around 160 pounds and I'll never be into anything exceptionally heavy.

Edited by David Brown, May 17, 2016 - 01:59 PM.

• MFDAC, Sawdust and chieffan have said thanks

#2 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 61865
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted May 17, 2016 - 03:24 PM

Thought of doing that myself...still undecided..

• David Brown and chieffan have said thanks

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,344 Thanks
  • 39,622 posts

Posted May 17, 2016 - 03:28 PM

Only thing I would have worries about would be an off set load (heavy one side) trying to tip it on the wheels.

• Alc, HDWildBill, David Brown and 3 others have said thanks

#4 devans OFFLINE  

devans
  • Member No: 68585
  • 367 Thanks
  • 256 posts

Posted May 17, 2016 - 03:44 PM

Only thing I would have worries about would be an off set load (heavy one side) trying to tip it on the wheels.

Ditto this!

Now if you could find or make a set of casters like the ones used by shop smith then that would be the way to go.

This will show you what they look like, they're not cheap.

http://www.shopsmith...arkvcasters.htm

Here's another option. You supply the hardwood rails and can custom configure it. Plus it's cheaper.

http://www.lowes.com...78-8d4fbf686732

• Alc, KennyP, David Brown and 2 others have said thanks

#5 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,743 Thanks
  • 7,515 posts

Posted May 17, 2016 - 04:10 PM

I bought an old 30 ton American made press with a bunch of adapters for $125. Look around on CL. You want that base large or bolted to a substantial floor. Every once in awhile when doing an axle bearing, the sudden release made the press jump a little. They might tip over under the wrong circumstances. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, May 17, 2016 - 08:07 PM.

• KennyP, HDWildBill, David Brown and 1 other said thanks

#6 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted May 17, 2016 - 04:29 PM

I have wheels on one end of my small band saw and a handle on the other and just tip it up and cart it around when I want to move it.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_5362.JPG

• Alc, MFDAC, HDWildBill and 2 others have said thanks

#7 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 61865
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted May 17, 2016 - 04:37 PM

I have wheels on one end of my small band saw and a handle on the other and just tip it up and cart it around when I want to move it.

Now thats a cool idea!!!Thanks!

• David Brown said thank you

#8 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,570 Thanks
  • 3,895 posts

Posted May 17, 2016 - 05:05 PM

Shop presses are awful tall and top heavy.  With the leverage applied to them I think its a recipe for a disaster.

If you choose to put wheels on it check with your local trash company.  They always have dumpsters that are rusted out but still have good heavy wheels.

• Alc, David Brown, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#9 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted May 17, 2016 - 05:31 PM

That looks like a winner of an idea.  We'll see once I get it and have it set up.  Thanks.

• Auburn David said thank you

#10 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted May 17, 2016 - 05:33 PM

Shop presses are awful tall and top heavy.  With the leverage applied to them I think its a recipe for a disaster.

If you choose to put wheels on it check with your local trash company.  They always have dumpsters that are rusted out but still have good heavy wheels.

Well, that's why we ask for help.  I've never had one so I'm not sure what I'm dealing with.  I thought of the things that were brought up here in the back of my mind which prompted me to ask the question.  Once everything is up and running, I'll decide if I even need wheels.

• Gtractor and Auburn David have said thanks

#11 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,344 Thanks
  • 39,622 posts

Posted May 17, 2016 - 05:54 PM

With that mass of metal at top plus the 20 ton jack, they are a bit top heavy. I can slide mine around on the floor with some effort.

#12 JBRamsey OFFLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 971 Thanks
  • 585 posts

Posted May 17, 2016 - 06:27 PM

I was going to say do it like Username said, but he beat me to the punch.

#13 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted May 17, 2016 - 06:32 PM

Well, that's why we ask for help.  I've never had one so I'm not sure what I'm dealing with.  I thought of the things that were brought up here in the back of my mind which prompted me to ask the question.  Once everything is up and running, I'll decide if I even need wheels.

Plus, make sure the castors are rated for the 20 tons. :D

• Gtractor and David Brown have said thanks

#14 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 3,092 Thanks
  • 1,195 posts

Posted May 17, 2016 - 06:46 PM

If you could find a full size two ton floor jack that had a bad cylinder the wheels off it would work to support the weight of the press when not in use - put the casters at one side and the two solid wheels at the other.  Mount a handle near the base that you can fold up the side out of the way when not in use (similar to a small wagon) - that way when you are moving it you are pulling or pushing on the base area so that there will be less of a chance that it will topple over.  Also mount four outriggers made out of 1" bolts (or threaded rod) going through four 1" nuts welded to the base so that you can thread the bolts down to the floor when you are using it.  That way the bolts will take the load off of the wheels and keep it stable.  You could make arms that fold out and lock for the bolts so you have a larger foot print to make the press stable when you are using it.  I saw a large metal lathe set up similar to this with casters under it that made it movable on the shop floor and had four thread hand wheels on threaded rod at the corners that you turned down to make it solid on the floor when in use - just suggestions that may help.  

• Alc, KennyP, jpackard56 and 2 others have said thanks

#15 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted May 17, 2016 - 08:20 PM

Don't think wheels would be problem, just be big enough.  I have one of those and scares me when I use it. I set it up with plates and get pressure on the part, then it gets harder to pump jack, till it almost stops. I DO.  Now, what to do?  Keep pulling real hard?  forget it, not gonna do?  I have had things break while trying to press and that stuff really flies!  I'm thinking safety glasses AND one of those plastic face shields if I use much.  ON simpler things, it pushes right thru, like bearings off a shaft or such, with no effort. it is when you have to pull harder that scares me. I found you really have to brace the parts real close to the shaft you are pushing or similar or it just breaks off the parts where the plates are braced under it. Have broken cast pulleys not being closer to center. Also taller stuff is harder to keep perfect striaght and will want to pop-out when under pressure w/out good bracing. Parts flying is my biggest concern.  Maybe I just need better lessons on how to use it?

One note: that idea of a bolt to floor and lifting wheels is good one. My cycle lift table does just that to keep in place and level at the one end.

• jpackard56 and David Brown have said thanks