• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 old coot ONLINE  

old coot
  • Member No: 54079
  • 45 Thanks
  • 43 posts

Posted May 17, 2016 - 11:03 AM

JD lx255  15 HP kohler battery reads 12.35 volts normal , just sitting  when  running reads 14.25 battery light out , when the light comes on it still reads 14.25  has me confused. Mower runs great with light on or off with deck engaged or not  voltage stays the same  I checked connections, all clean tight...should I be concerned ?any ideas why the light comes on at times while mowing ?  thanks for any help

Edited by old coot, May 17, 2016 - 11:03 AM.

#2 Billy M OFFLINE  

Billy M
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 15999
  • 349 Thanks
  • 355 posts

Posted May 17, 2016 - 03:00 PM

If your tractor has a voltage sensing module that controls that light, it could be going bad.  My Ariens Grand Sierra had one.  They are notorious for failing.  A new module is about $65 from the dealer.  I assembled this and did a little rewiring to make a replacement, and hopefully make it more reliable.

http://gardentractor...or-high-sierra/

• Alc and old coot have said thanks

#3 old coot ONLINE  

old coot
  • Member No: 54079
  • 45 Thanks
  • 43 posts

Posted May 18, 2016 - 03:20 AM

i take the voltage sensing module would be or could be at fault ? if i would just leave things alone i should be ok ? if it's just a module telling the light to come on and not affecting the charging system then i'm not going to worry about it...it reminds me of an older car i had... the seat belt light kept flashing telling me I needed to fasten the seat belt....annoying is all it was...took it to the garage and when they said a little over a 100 to replace a sensor I opted to use a piece of electrical tape to cover the flashing light on the dash  I think I know if my seat belt is fastened or not , no need for a light to tell me that...lol

• Alc and KennyP have said thanks

#4 Billy M OFFLINE  

Billy M
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 15999
  • 349 Thanks
  • 355 posts

Posted May 18, 2016 - 09:11 AM

Yeah...judging by the numbers you posted, it looks like it's charging as it should.  It won't hurt anything to leave it as is.  I would remove the bulb and call it a day if you aren't worried about it working.  You can test the battery as you did if you ever think something isn't right.

• old coot said thank you