• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Cfisher88 OFFLINE  

Cfisher88
  • Member No: 82948
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted May 17, 2016 - 10:41 AM

Found and bought a 314 for 300$ thinking it's a pretty good deal as it does run and drive and pretty solid tractor but needs some work done (bought it knowing this). After running it for a few minutes i noticed the muffler was smoking so tore it down to find out the front of the motor where the head meets the block was blowing oil out. Hoping it's just a bad gasket any input would be greatly appreciated thanks

#2 TimW OFFLINE  

TimW
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10778
  • 367 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted May 17, 2016 - 12:53 PM

I am no expert, but it sounds like it does in fact have a blown head gasket.  It will be oily and wet sometimes around the area where the head gasket leaks.  Is it smoking there or smoking out of the exhaust?  If it is cranking white smoke out of the muffler, it may need rings and or be rebuilt.  Pulling the head and replacing the head gasket isn't a real big deal.  Most always the head bolts come out easy, except the ones by the exhaust outlet sometimes.  Be careful when cranking on these, they may snap, then things get far more complicated.  You can use this time to decarbon the head and piston.  Several ways of this, I like scotch brite pads and carb cleaner.  Also, be sure the head is not damaged.  You can true it up on a budget by placing it on a piece of plate glass or other true surface and spinning it on light grit black sandpaper.  You should immediately see the high and low spots if there are any.  Head gaskets and head cleaning are almost considered regular maintanance

#3 Cfisher88 OFFLINE  

Cfisher88
  • Member No: 82948
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted May 17, 2016 - 01:16 PM

It does blow a little white smoke on start up then quits it runs a little rough but it also needs all the maintenance done on it and new gas put in it.

#4 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted May 18, 2016 - 07:54 AM

I had a k181 (8HP small block version of the k series) that leaked in that area.  The head gasket was leaking right above the exhaust port between the block and the head.  If you don't know the hours on the machine, I would suggest pulling the head, cleaning out the carbon on the head and top of the piston, lap the head, and reinstall with a new head gasket.