Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

LME Walbro Carburetor (loose throttle shaft)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 784 Thanks
  • 516 posts

Posted May 17, 2016 - 07:45 AM

Well It was a cold windy day yesterday so I took the day off and tinkered in my garage. I have a box of junk parts that I acquired with a tractor package deal. More of a basket case deal as everything I bought was owned by some kid that must have suffered from A.D.D. I didn't care at the time as I was only focused on getting the ss12 hydro. So anyway I decided to grab a carburetor and see what the issues with it were.

1st issue I had to address was the main jet, & float bowl  seems when he was putting the float bowl on it was leaking so he kept tightening it until it snapped off.  No biggie I have ez outs and got that fixed right away.

Next thing I found was a sloppy throttle shaft. This was a bit more tricky to fix. I had to remove the shaft and fit a brass sleeve over to shaft so that it was larger. I had a sleeve that goes over the shaft but it was to snug to slide on easily so with my torch and patients I got my brass sleeves installed. So now I have a throttle shaft with slightly bigger ends but I now see that the holes the shaft goes in is slightly wallowed out. Thats ok at this point because the sleeves I added to the shaft are to large to fit anyway. I was planning on sanding the sleeves down to fit but instead I drilled the holes for the shaft slightly bigger to accept the new sleeves. Oh my fits like a glove.

I have the carb soaking in sea foam and just need a rebuild kit for new rubber. Its missing a few parts like the pin for the float and the retainer clip for the needle valve, but it all comes in a rebuild kit from what I see.

After all said and done I see that I am not the only one that has had throttle shaft issues on these so I will try and take some photos and explain the repair better for anyone that needs the info. I use a brass sleeve nut from a plumbing box I had. I think they are .25-.40 cents at the local hardware stores.  

I was even thinking of putting a groove on the upper part of the shaft and put an o-ring on it to really seal that shaft good but as tight and smooth as it is now I don't think I want to mess with it. 

• Alc, KennyP, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#2 Kmac1 ONLINE  

Kmac1
  • Member No: 62275
  • 521 Thanks
  • 221 posts

Posted May 17, 2016 - 08:14 AM

I've made the same kind of repair on carbs before, 4v on cars as well as the smaller ones on a gt, works well thanks

#3 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted May 17, 2016 - 05:33 PM

Would love to see the pics and I'm definatly watching this thread...     Thanks...sodi

#4 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,687 Thanks
  • 7,694 posts

Posted May 17, 2016 - 05:57 PM

The shaft has to be loose enough to turn easy. So, how much clearance is acceptable?

#5 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • 784 Thanks
  • 516 posts

Posted May 18, 2016 - 07:27 AM

Would love to see the pics and I'm definatly watching this thread...     Thanks...sodi

Went out this morning and snapped some photos for you.

• sodisr said thank you

#6 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • 784 Thanks
  • 516 posts

Posted May 18, 2016 - 07:39 AM

Ok so here is the part needed Its just a brass 1/4 inch compression fitting. Cut to desired size then heat with a torch (take approx 2 seconds till glowing red. Then push the shaft in it. The top one is the pain in the butt because you have to get it all the way up the shaft. If you got good strong fingernails like me thats the only tool you need. 

20160518_082121.jpg

In this photo I am just holding the shaft above the compression fitting to compare the size of the shaft the brass fitting.

20160518_082042.jpg

Here you can see the one that is slid all the way up on the shaft , the piece I made for the lower part of the shaft is shown lower left. Also take note I have the compression fitting in there so you know what to look for 

20160518_082159.jpg

Just a closer view of the upper sleeve installed on the upper part of the shaft.

Hope it helps 

• KennyP, sodisr and MolonLabe have said thanks

#7 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • 784 Thanks
  • 516 posts

Posted May 18, 2016 - 07:46 AM

The shaft has to be loose enough to turn easy. So, how much clearance is acceptable?

I'll be honest with you I don't know the values of whats acceptable or not , I just know what a tight fitting shaft feels like. After all its not rod bearings. If it wiggles its loose, if its to hard to turn its to tight. 

• KennyP and LilysDad have said thanks

#8 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted May 18, 2016 - 11:11 AM

Thanks John,,, That was a tremendous help and wil be thinking about this...

#9 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • 784 Thanks
  • 516 posts

Posted May 19, 2016 - 06:32 AM

BTW way guys here is the part needed its .26 cents 

https://www.zoro.com...Q&gclsrc=aw.ds 

• KennyP said thank you