10 replies to this topic

#1 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted May 17, 2016 - 04:18 AM

I have a Harbor Freight blast cabinet.

Last weekend I tried to use it for the 1st time.

I could not get the media to move up the tube into the gun.

The hose seemed to want to collapse.

Have others had this problem and what/how do I do to fix this?

I would have thought the hoses with the cabinet would have worked, but I guess I need better hoses!

• CRFarnsworth said thank you

#2 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 1,002 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted May 17, 2016 - 04:32 AM

common problem with less expensive cabinet, Make sure your presure is good and there are no obstructions then go buy a slightly more robust hose. dont feel bad even some more reputable companies have sent limsy hoses with their units, in fact the only time we havent had to upgrade our units was when we had a costum built unit that set us back ten grand.
  • boyscout862, KC9KAS and michael.kitko have said thanks

#3 michael.kitko OFFLINE  

michael.kitko
  • Member No: 28357
  • 472 Thanks
  • 445 posts

Posted May 17, 2016 - 05:24 AM

I agree...I bought the exact same one you have and after like 2 seconds, I upgraded to a bigger thicker hose. If you read through the reviews on HF site, they talk about ways to improve them.

Mike "Squirrelly" Kitko
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#4 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted May 17, 2016 - 06:37 AM

interesting... I bought a bench top one from them and didnt notice the hose collapsing but it does plug up often.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#5 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,664 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted May 17, 2016 - 06:56 AM

Did you use a sealing tape or sealer on the joints when assembling?  My instructions didn't say a thing about that, yet later I found some thick tape like stuff and figured it should be used there. At first thought for just windows. Mine leaked sand/dust all over out every seem on the darn thing.  The light in them is worthless, get spots, two, one each way on sides. The hoses are kinda short I thought, but not thin or weak on one I had. The ceramic tips don't last long at all. It was very hard to put the plastic tear-offs on the window from the door opening. My home made wood blaster I made window be able to flip up and I could change the plastic real easy.  Make sure pick-up tube isn't clogged with cardboard or anything else from packaging, like styro-foam parts or such.

#6 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted May 17, 2016 - 07:06 AM

I've had the same problems. Tried a replacement from TSC, was so stiff that it was hard to move and then nozzles just dissolved. Finally bought an upgrade kit from TP products in Canfield Ohio, much better pickup tube, hose and gun,never had another issue and parts are available. Also added spot light inside, that fluorescent tube just didn't get the job done.  Tightened and resealed the cabinet itself and finally have a very handy unit. Good luck !

• KC9KAS said thank you

#7 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted May 17, 2016 - 05:26 PM

I bought a stiffer, clear piece of tubing.

I can now see the media move up to the gun, but it doesn't want to move out the nozzle and do any "blasting"

Really pi$$ing me off!

Going to buy better gun/hose/syphon tube.

#8 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,441 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted May 17, 2016 - 06:11 PM

You may want to sift your media. I sift all my media as some  low buck brands I have found chunks the size of corn kernels. A dozen or so of those in a 100 lb bag ruin your day by constantly clogging gun or hose. I use  a piece of porch screen laying over a container. Its only a few minutes and saves a lot of grief.

• KC9KAS said thank you

#9 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted May 20, 2016 - 04:50 PM

OK, I bought an up-graded gun/hose/media pick-up tube from TP Tools, and I am now a "sand-blasting fool".

Now if I only had light to see what I was blasting!!

• olcowhand and KennyP have said thanks

#10 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted May 20, 2016 - 06:12 PM

OK, I bought an up-graded gun/hose/media pick-up tube from TP Tools, and I am now a "sand-blasting fool".

Now if I only had light to see what I was blasting!!

I too couldn't believe the difference :dancingbanana: when I installed my upgrade kit. I didn't get my light from them but I pulled the same pieces out of my inventory and built one like theirs. If I had to buy all new parts at Lowe's (Lowe's gives 10% to veterans, so they get more of my business for this kind of stuff) or whatever store of your choice, it would be similar to TP's light kit cost w/o shipping.

Glad that worked out for you, I've never stalled again since putting mine in.

#11 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,664 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted June 03, 2016 - 09:18 PM

Two spot or floodlights like used for outdoors. ONes with heavy glass, not light indoor kind. One on each end pointing to middle. I have box and outdoor adjustable sockets on them, but rarely ever move them. One on left is in back corner, one on right is in front corner, so I can open door and still get parts thru bigger part of the door.  BUT, if on and hot, doesn't take much of a bump to make them knockout the filaments and have to change. You get better at not hitting them after a few hits and outages, ha!  Try diff brands of bulbs, some last longer than others. You can add a switch on outside of box for them or as I do, just plug in when using cabinet, no switch.  I use TP parts, good stuff and quick ship. A little more money, but good service. I also use that expensive Hardened metal tip, lasts a real long time.  The other metal ones are better than ceramic, but even those can wear in short time. Have even had the outer section of the gun that holds the tip wear thru areas inside it's body and need replacement. Everything on a blaster wears out fairly fast.

• HDWildBill and Cat385B have said thanks