#77 BTS OFFLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,711 Thanks
  • 1,720 posts

Posted July 30, 2016 - 10:28 PM

Picked a couple carrots the other day (around a bushel), got just about all of them in the freezer now.

The garden is keeping us very busy, between weeding, picking, canning/freezing and selling. Someone wants around 100lbs of slicing tomatoes Friday, someone else is wanting 50lbs of roma tomatoes Sunday, + what the grocery store wants?. The local hardware store is slowing down a little in sales, I think everyone around here is starting to get their own tomatoes.

Attached Thumbnails

• Kubota Plow 045.jpg
  • Kubota Plow 046.jpg

Edited by BTS, July 30, 2016 - 10:29 PM.

• Alc and Sawdust have said thanks

#78 BTS OFFLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,711 Thanks
  • 1,720 posts

Posted July 30, 2016 - 10:52 PM

Yesterday I got a plow rebuilt to fit my quick-hitch it is a 12" plow (I think?) I got it about the way it is now, the guy I bought it from turned a 2 bottom into a single for his old Farmall A, I bought his tractor and all of his attachments last fall. I ended up selling the old A (burned a ton of oil) and I got all my money back + attachments (yaaa). Anyway that's another story.

I got the plow did a couple adjustments and headed out to the back lawn and tried it out, after a little while of adjusting I got it working pretty decent, I plowed up 3 more plots and got it working a lot better. I am trying to get this plow set up and working smooth so I can plow 4 acres of grass. I an getting ready to sign the paper work on 4 acres so I can try growing organic old fashion wheat.  I do not have a sod cutting set up on this plow, is that going to be a huge issue? or should I build one for it? The lot is in about 2' grass with 3 to 4' tall weeds. I am going to mow it with my 4' bush hog before I plow, I think that would make it all easier to work with?.

The first picture of the plowed ground is the first plot I did before I had it all dialed in, the other plots are a lot nicer. A couple plots were very hard packed and had a lot of clay in it.

Attached Thumbnails

• Kubota Plow 050.jpg
  • Kubota Plow 051.jpg
  • Kubota Plow 052.jpg
  • Kubota Plow 053.jpg
  • Kubota Plow 054.jpg
  • Kubota Plow 055.jpg

• Alc and Sawdust have said thanks

#79 BTS OFFLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,711 Thanks
  • 1,720 posts

Posted July 30, 2016 - 11:07 PM

As if I didn't have enough to do, tonight I was playing around with the plow when my brother stopped by. He said it looked like a radiator hose or something is leaking on the Kubota, I opened the hood and we found out the water pump is leaking :wallbanging:. I'm glad he noticed because I didn't. I checked the fluid and it was around a qt low.

I guess I will pull it apart tomorrow morning, while I have the radiator pulled I will look into installing a hydraulic pump off the front of the engine. I have been wanting to do that for a long time, I just never wanted to pull the radiator.

I got to thinking, I have a water pump on hand, I have a NEW 3 cylinder Kubota engine in the barn, I will see if that pump fits, I don't want to part out that engine but a water pump isn't that big of a deal.

A new pump is only around $60+shipping, but I don't want to wait a week.

Attached Thumbnails

• Kubota Plow 057.jpg

#80 BTS OFFLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,711 Thanks
  • 1,720 posts

Posted July 31, 2016 - 05:22 PM

Got the Kubota Pulled apart today, it didn't take me more then 20 minutes to get the pump out, this old Kubota is easy to work on!. I checked and the spare engine that I have is around a 2010 and this tractor is a 1975. The water pump isn't the same so I had to order one. I got it off eBay for $50 free shipping, it was on sale + I had a 10 dollar coupon. It is being shipped from TX so hopefully it should be here in a couple days.

Attached Thumbnails

• Kubota Water Pump 010.jpg
  • Kubota Water Pump 009.jpg
  • Kubota Water Pump 008.jpg
  • Kubota Water Pump 011.jpg

#81 BTS OFFLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,711 Thanks
  • 1,720 posts

Posted August 07, 2016 - 11:48 PM

OK, It's been a while since I've posted on here, I got the new water pump in the mail middle of last week, I got it installed that same day, everything went well until I dumped in the fluid and started the tractor. First thing I noticed was water spraying out of the front of the radiator :wallbanging:. I must have poked a hole in it from trying to get it in or out, or I poked a hole in it when I was blowing out the fins with the air compressor :mad2:.   I called my brother and he came down with a soldering iron and he got it patched up. I have no experience with patching radiators and I didn't want to melt the whole thing. I got it reinstalled and it all seems to be working great!.

We picked around a bushel of bell peppers and sold them to a grocery store, they were really nice peppers and I kinda hatted to see them go.

We haven't hardly been getting any tomatoes, right now the plants are setting on more and the ones on there are green, I hope the pick up for next week.

I've been messing with my plow, I am needing to plow 4 acres and I'm trying to get it to work right. I am finally getting closer with it, I had to do a little welding on the 3-pt mount the other day but I believe it's about ready to go!

I had issues of the plow either digging down a inch or the plow would drop in so deep the tractor couldn't pull it. I adjusted the 3-pt lever so the 3-pt will only go so deep and that seems to help.

I also had trouble with the plow pulling the tractor sideways, someone told me to get rid of the sway control chains but when I did that the plow would wonder far left and leave a 16" gap of unplowed ground, so I ended up putting the chains back on.

The picture of the plowed ground is the last I did, it's looking pretty decent (I think)

The corn is looking good it's getting close to 4' and it's just starting to tassel

Attached Thumbnails

• Garden 067.jpg
  • Garden 036.jpg
  • Garden 037.jpg
  • Garden 128.jpg
  • Garden 128.jpg
  • Garden 132.jpg
  • Garden 144.jpg
  • Garden 139.jpg
  • Garden 142.jpg

• Alc, oldedeeres and Sawdust have said thanks

#82 bprzyw OFFLINE  

bprzyw
  • Member No: 53276
  • 92 Thanks
  • 163 posts

Posted August 08, 2016 - 01:08 PM

Lots of hard work there. This is something I always wanted to do here in Pa. 4 - 40 x 100 foot high tunnels, and start everything from scratch. That is awesome - what you are doing. This is something I should check into. Thank you for your time and effort. :worshippy1:

• BTS and oldedeeres have said thanks

#83 BTS OFFLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,711 Thanks
  • 1,720 posts

Posted August 09, 2016 - 12:50 PM

Lots of hard work there. This is something I always wanted to do here in Pa. 4 - 40 x 100 foot high tunnels, and start everything from scratch. That is awesome - what you are doing. This is something I should check into. Thank you for your time and effort. :worshippy1:

Thanks, If you need any help or info on starting plants let me know.

Look into the EQIP program, we are just now getting our second and we are hoping to get 4 or so high tunnels in the next couple years.

Let me know if you have any questions

• bprzyw said thank you

#84 BTS OFFLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,711 Thanks
  • 1,720 posts

Posted August 26, 2016 - 11:10 AM

I need to get some more pictures, I haven't had the time to keep up on this thread, the corn is now 8' tall and has ears that should be picked here in a week or so.

The rest of the garden is holding it's own, we are still fighting worms in the tomatoes but they are starting to slow down.

The new high tunnel showed up the other day, I need to start working on the building pad, I just haven't had the time to mess with it yet.

#85 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,835 Thanks
  • 3,185 posts

Posted August 27, 2016 - 12:06 PM

Had a good rain the other night, followed by heavy winds. In the morning my corn and sunflowers were down. I'm pretty sure the sunflowers will not recover, but I've hilled the corn back up, it's almost ready to eat and I'm looking forward to it. I grow the sunflowers just for "pretty" and the birds, and they'll eat them whether they're dirty and down or not.
  • BTS and FrozenInTime have said thanks

#86 BTS OFFLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,711 Thanks
  • 1,720 posts

Posted August 27, 2016 - 10:12 PM

We've been getting a lot of rain lately, normally August is really hot and dry. This year we've been getting 1 to 2 inches every week. We are almost to wet, all the field corn is ready to cut but yet it keeps raining on it. Our fall corn got blown around, we lost a little bit of it but it will be ready to pick in a few days so there is no point to try and stand it back up.

#87 BTS OFFLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,711 Thanks
  • 1,720 posts

Posted August 28, 2016 - 09:59 PM

The first picture is of my brother working in the high tunnel, that gives you an idea of the size of our tomato plants (he is 6' 1" tall) and the tomato plants are on a 6" hill. The row of plants closest to the camera is peppers.

Today I got the melon/pumpkin patch mowed, all the plants died so it was time to clean it all up. We got a loader bucket of smaller eating pumpkins (forgot to get a picture), they should be around 40lbs but they didn't get very big this year???.

The last picture is the NEW high tunnel that came the other day!. It is going up where the melons/pumpkins were.

Attached Thumbnails

• Garden 003.jpg
  • Garden 016.jpg
  • Garden 001.jpg

• oldedeeres and bprzyw have said thanks

#88 bprzyw OFFLINE  

bprzyw
  • Member No: 53276
  • 92 Thanks
  • 163 posts

Posted September 07, 2016 - 12:43 PM

Crappy for all the rain, hope it stops to give you a chance to get the corn in. That's amazing tomatoes. Again, my hats off to you. I did not fully check into the program in my state yet. Need more pictures!!LOL. Time to get that new high tunnel up!
Good luck
  • BTS said thank you

#89 BTS OFFLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,711 Thanks
  • 1,720 posts

Posted September 07, 2016 - 03:30 PM

Crappy for all the rain, hope it stops to give you a chance to get the corn in. That's amazing tomatoes. Again, my hats off to you. I did not fully check into the program in my state yet. Need more pictures!!LOL. Time to get that new high tunnel up!
Good luck

Thanks

Those are the most impressive tomatoes plants we have ever had.

I am going to start doing YouTube videos on our Micro farm, we are going to do videos on my farming with antique machinery (my '55 farmall 400 and '59 JD 95 combine + other old implements and attachments) and we are going to do videos of all the gardening. Included in that is going to be step by step instructions on building the new high tunnel.

Edited by BTS, September 07, 2016 - 03:32 PM.

• Alc, oldedeeres and FrozenInTime have said thanks