#62 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,735 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted July 06, 2016 - 08:16 AM

Went out yesterday and picked some salsa, 13lbs of tomatoes and a couple hand fulls of hot peppers.

Attached Thumbnails

• Garden 009.jpg
  • Garden 008.jpg

• daytime dave, Alc and Sawdust have said thanks

#63 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,630 Thanks
  • 3,869 posts

Posted July 06, 2016 - 08:55 AM

What kind of planter do you use?

JD 7000 1 row on my Massey 394S.  Has 2 by 2 and in farrow liquid.

• BTS said thank you

#64 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,630 Thanks
  • 3,869 posts

Posted July 06, 2016 - 08:58 AM

Wow that's a lot, what do you plant it with?

I have the worst time planting sweet corn in my planter, it plants field corn great it's just something about the sweet corn.

I use a 1 row JD 7000 finger unit with liquid 2 by 2 and in farrow fertilizer. 

• BTS said thank you

#65 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,735 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted July 06, 2016 - 06:25 PM

I use a 1 row JD 7000 finger unit with liquid 2 by 2 and in farrow fertilizer. 

I use a old A/C planter, it was a 4 row but it was cut down to a 2 row, for some reason it won't plant sweet corn, I can lift it with the 3-pt and turn it by hand and it only drops a seed every two rotations. We changed the gearing on the planter and cleaned the whole thing but it still doesn't work right.

Attached Thumbnails

• Potatoes 070.jpg
  • Potatoes 069.jpg

• ducky and Alc have said thanks

#66 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,410 Thanks
  • 3,162 posts

Posted July 07, 2016 - 04:45 AM

What seed are you using? I had the exact same corn planter you have and had the exact same trouble. Switched seed to a slightly larger kernel and away I went..
I use Seedway seed for my corn and cuke seeds because they really produce here in new England.I have corn in many stages from almost ready to pick to just planted, should be interesting to see if it grows to maturity or not.
I am picking cukes and squash now and should have tomatoes by the end of the month.

Edited by skyrydr2, July 07, 2016 - 07:02 AM.

• Alc and BTS have said thanks

#67 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,735 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted July 09, 2016 - 08:02 AM

What seed are you using? I had the exact same corn planter you have and had the exact same trouble. Switched seed to a slightly larger kernel and away I went..
I use Seedway seed for my corn and cuke seeds because they really produce here in new England.I have corn in many stages from almost ready to pick to just planted, should be interesting to see if it grows to maturity or not.
I am picking cukes and squash now and should have tomatoes by the end of the month.

The seed I'm using is on the smaller side, I want to look and see if I can't buy sweet corn plates for my planter, I need to get something figured out before next year. Thanks for the tips

#68 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,735 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted July 09, 2016 - 08:22 AM

We are still picking a fair amount of tomatoes, probably around 10lbs a day, I'm hoping that they will all start ripening more so we can start putting up salsa and tomato sauce. We have some of the biggest tomatoes I think we have ever grown before, some of them are fist sized and even the roma are much bigger then what they should be. The melons are also really taking off, we have watermelon over a foot long and the cantaloupe and honeydew are well over softball sized.

I mowed the potato plants yesterday, the weeds and grass were taking over and I'm hoping that will kill the plants so the potatoes will cure. I read that the potatoes will not keep unless they are cured either in a seller or leave them in the ground a week after the plants dry up. The plants were still a little green when I mowed them, I'm hoping now the potatoes will cure.

I picked up all of the potatoes that was sticking up out of the ground and I ended up with 100lbs of potatoes and a lot of them are fist sized. The potatoes in the sand did so much better, then the ones out of the sand, the ones in the sand are bigger, didn't push out of the ground and there isn't as many that rotted. I'm hoping to get another 10 or so truck loads of sand out here for next season.

Attached Thumbnails

• Garden 019.jpg
  • Garden 020.jpg

• Alc and Sawdust have said thanks

#69 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,735 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted July 13, 2016 - 02:46 PM

The garden is still holding in there, we have been picking a lot of tomatoes, we picked another 32lbs the other day and there will probably more then that out there again tomorrow. The peppers are doing great, the chili peppers are over 5' tall and we are starting to get quite a few bell peppers (notice comparing size of bell peppers to a whip cream container) The melons/pumpkins are looking good but we burned the leaves spraying with dawn dish soap but it looks like they are going to pull out of it. I added a picture of our potatoes after they were mowed, it now looks like a big lawn. Hoping to dig the potatoes first of the week after they have cured. I want to get out there and plow under all that grass. The onions are about done in, we will probably start picking up the ones that are dead when the mud dries up.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_3325.jpg
  • IMG_3327.jpg
  • IMG_3330.jpg
  • IMG_3331.jpg
  • IMG_3335.jpg
  • IMG_3337.jpg
  • IMG_3338.jpg
  • IMG_3339.jpg
  • IMG_3340.jpg
  • IMG_3341.jpg
  • IMG_3342.jpg
  • IMG_3344.jpg
  • IMG_3346.jpg

• Alc and oldedeeres have said thanks

#70 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,735 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted July 17, 2016 - 10:44 PM

We have a big problem with the garden, we picked around 50lbs of tomatoes last week, we picked 100lbs 3 days ago and today we picked 150lbs. We put up a lot but there is no way we can keep up with them. I took a tray of tomatoes to the local hardware store (friend owns it) and he sold the whole tray in a day. I'm going to haul a bunch more up there tomorrow and we are going to call a small grocery store about 20 miles away and see what all they will buy (again friends with the owners) There is also a health food store about 20 miles away and they are also always looking for tomatoes. I guess we will see how much we can sell, right now I guess no one has tomatoes, either their plants aren't putting anything on or they are staying green and not ripening. Either way we should have enough to go around. We should be picking again in a couple days.

I finally got around to cultivating the corn, now I need to get a little closer to the plants with a hoe but the tractor gave me a great head start. Once the corn is a little taller, I'm going to hill it, I have never hilled corn before so we will see how it goes.

I have a video of the cultivating that I will try and upload to youtube.

Attached Thumbnails

• Garden 048.jpg
  • Garden 049.jpg
  • Garden 050.jpg
  • Garden 083.jpg
  • Garden 102.jpg
  • Garden 104.jpg
  • Garden 105.jpg
  • Garden 096.jpg
  • Garden 100.jpg

• Alc, oldedeeres and Sawdust have said thanks

#71 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,735 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted July 20, 2016 - 10:07 PM

We picked 100lbs of tomatoes Tuesday morning which was 2 days after we picked 150lbs, it looks like I can go out again in the morning and pick another 100 to 150lbs.

Sold off 100lbs or Roma tomatoes to a small grocery store in Newton (about 25 miles away), the store is fairly good sized, it's a damaged food store, they have lots of cheap groceries (really cheap) and if it wasn't for that store we probably would of died long ago lol. We know the owners of the store and came up with a deal where they just pay us in groceries, basically they give us a gift certificate and they can pay us a better price. I buy all our groceries there anyway so it works out perfect.

We put the down payment on the second high tunnel, we will pay the rest when the high tunnel is made in 2 to 3 weeks then it will be shipped our way. There isn't anyone coming from MO to central KS is there? if so it you can make $500 if you have a 16' trailer that can haul 6000+lbs.

I need to get the building platform built, right now there is around 16 bales of straw sitting on it, the ground has never been broke and it's going to need a lot of fertilizer (cattle manure/hay/straw). I also need to dig up 3 or 4 tree stumps that are in the way. It's a perfect time to do all this work because it's going to be a 100+ degrees all next week (yaaaaa)

Edited by BTS, July 20, 2016 - 10:13 PM.

• Alc and Sawdust have said thanks

#72 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,735 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted July 21, 2016 - 11:10 AM

Finally remembered to upload the cultivating video,

#73 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,735 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted July 24, 2016 - 11:03 PM

Man, today was a busy HOT and HUMID day, todays high was 102 with 60% humidity, spent the morning on the tractor mowing with the bush hog, then got the hiller set up on the tractor. After lunch I hilled the corn and we picked tomatoes and pulled half of the onions. I spent the late afternoon/evening sorting through all of the tomatoes, we picked 307lbs, after they were all sorted we had 99lbs of good romas and 115lbs of good slicing tomatoes. The other tomatoes with bug holes or cracks will be turned into sauce Monday. We are starting to be really dry again, it hasn't rained in over a week and we have been in the high 90's to 105 all week. The corn is going to be watered tomorrow if we don't get rain tonight (have a 50%chance). Hoping to get a place set up for storing potatoes because they are really needing to be dug up, the rodents are digging up a few of them and some are rotting a little. I just have no storage and I have no time to build any. I'm hoping to get a couple old junk freezers berried here in a couple days pending on rain.

(note the tomatoes are in banana boxes and are stacked 3 tomatoes)

Attached Thumbnails

• Garden 061.jpg
  • Garden 063.jpg
  • Garden 062.jpg
  • Garden 056.jpg
  • Garden 058.jpg
  • Garden 059.jpg
  • Garden 060.jpg

Edited by BTS, July 24, 2016 - 11:04 PM.

• Alc, KennyP and Sawdust have said thanks

#74 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,735 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted July 26, 2016 - 09:27 PM

The corn and the rest of the garden is a lot happier now, got 1 1/4" of rain Monday morning.

Today I made my tomato deliveries and sold 150lbs.

Edited by BTS, July 26, 2016 - 09:45 PM.

• KennyP and Sawdust have said thanks

#75 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,455 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted July 27, 2016 - 07:27 AM

Glad you got rain. We need some down here!

• BTS said thank you