#46 BTS OFFLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,723 Thanks
  • 1,723 posts

Posted June 23, 2016 - 07:56 AM

Yesterday I found 2 tomatoes that are just about red :dancingbanana: :rocker2:, the cucumbers are also getting close and we picked 2 Jalapenos and we have bell peppers that are a couple inches. We normally don't get peppers till late July or early august, things sure grow quick in this high tunnel.

Yesterday we got a drip lines set up in the high tunnel, each bed has it's own valve so we can control what gets watered. The line we used can't have more then 10psi through it so we had to get a regulator and a gauge. This watering system is going to save us a ton of time, it normally takes 3 hours to water with a watering wand.

Attached Thumbnails

• Garden 038.jpg
  • Garden 039.jpg
  • Garden 051.jpg
  • Garden 050.jpg
  • Garden 064.jpg
  • Garden 054.jpg
  • Garden 056.jpg
  • Garden 057.jpg
  • Garden 058.jpg
  • Garden 055.jpg

• oldedeeres and Sawdust have said thanks

#47 BTS OFFLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,723 Thanks
  • 1,723 posts

Posted June 23, 2016 - 08:01 AM

Look like the 2nd high tunnel is a done deal, waiting for a little paper work to come through from the government and the bank approved us for another loan so we are hoping to order the high tunnel in a week or two. This next one should go up a lot quicker then the first one, we now know what we are doing and we built the last one during the winter so the weather was a big issue.

• oldedeeres and Sawdust have said thanks

#48 BTS OFFLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,723 Thanks
  • 1,723 posts

Posted June 26, 2016 - 07:37 AM

I spent most of yesterday working the old corn patch, it was all grass and weeds so I went over it with the plow then the disk. It worked under pretty good considering we got 2 inches of rain on Thursday and I worked the ground on Saturday. I guess that shows how dry we are. I'm just now heading out now to plant corn before more rain, they are saying rain today and most of next week, hopefully we are breaking out of the dry weather.

We dug 2 out of 16 rows of potatoes, I used the middle buster on the Kubota L2000 and it worked great, the potatoes didn't do that great, but the ones we dug were in lousier soil so they dried out quicker and we robbed quite a few off of them earlier in the year.
We ended up with 80lbs out of 2 80' rows.

We also pulled one carrot to see what they looked like.

Attached Thumbnails

• High Loader 084.jpg
  • High Loader 085.jpg
  • High Loader 086.jpg
  • High Loader 093.jpg
  • High Loader 077.jpg
  • High Loader 082.jpg

• KennyP, oldedeeres and Sawdust have said thanks

#49 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,407 Thanks
  • 3,157 posts

Posted June 26, 2016 - 01:01 PM

Your irrigation looks like the same stuff i use, except i dont use any pcv pipe. I use 1-1/2 trunk line with a 10 psi inline regulator. Just try and stop an open end from flowing at just 10 psi... It aint happening. I have valves at every run so i can control every row, works like a charm. And we have a water band going on, as its dry as powder here.
  • BTS, oldedeeres and Sawdust have said thanks

#50 BTS OFFLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,723 Thanks
  • 1,723 posts

Posted July 01, 2016 - 07:21 AM

Your irrigation looks like the same stuff i use, except i dont use any pcv pipe. I use 1-1/2 trunk line with a 10 psi inline regulator. Just try and stop an open end from flowing at just 10 psi... It aint happening. I have valves at every run so i can control every row, works like a charm. And we have a water band going on, as its dry as powder here.

We used Toro brand irrigation line, it seems to work great, it saves us a ton of time!.

#51 BTS OFFLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,723 Thanks
  • 1,723 posts

Posted July 01, 2016 - 07:46 AM

Got 11 80' rows or corn planted, it was all planted by hand using 4' sticks of 1/2" PVC pipe so we didn't half to bend over to plant.

The melons and pumpkins are looking great, I also hauled 2 loads of old straw, I hauled 12 bales total, Although I wasn't happy with the straw when I rolled the bale off of the back of the pickup and there was a over 4' long black snake under it, I do not like snakes at all, I won't get within 50' of one, luckily my brother was working on the farm that day and he came over and grabbed it, he always hauls them off a mile or 2 away because he won't kill them. I'm not for killing them either, I just don't want them on our 3 acres.

I mowed the ditches down the 1/4 mile hoping the county wont spray, but after I mowed the county truck went past spraying so I guess it didn't work :wallbanging:. I didn't make it 5 minutes mowing the ditches before I found someone's lost 10" screw driver in my front tire :(, luckily it was the old tire that needs replaced, the other 3 tires were replaced last summer.

Attached Thumbnails

• Garden 025.jpg
  • Garden 027.jpg
  • High Loader 105.jpg
  • High Loader 106.jpg
  • Garden 049.jpg
  • Garden 070.jpg
  • Garden 074.jpg
  • Garden 096.jpg
  • Garden 094.jpg
  • Garden 092.jpg

• Sawdust said thank you

#52 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,836 Thanks
  • 3,185 posts

Posted July 02, 2016 - 11:45 AM

Don't you just hate finding new tools that way? :wallbanging:   I try to get the roadside mowed as well, but the R.M. sometimes sends the graders out before I can get there and they leave a ridge of road gravel on the edge hidden in the grass. If the mower blade didn't need sharpening before, it sure does after! 

• KennyP, BTS and CanadianHobbyFarmer have said thanks

#53 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,860 posts

Posted July 04, 2016 - 11:07 AM

Here's my sweet corn on july 3rd.

Best and earliest in a long time.  Tassels just starting to emerge.

IMAG0440.jpg

IMAG0437.jpg

IMAG0436.jpg

IMAG0439.jpg

• KennyP, BTS, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#54 BTS OFFLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,723 Thanks
  • 1,723 posts

Posted July 04, 2016 - 12:08 PM

Don't you just hate finding new tools that way? :wallbanging:   I try to get the roadside mowed as well, but the R.M. sometimes sends the graders out before I can get there and they leave a ridge of road gravel on the edge hidden in the grass. If the mower blade didn't need sharpening before, it sure does after! 

I'm always fighting the windrow of gravel in my ditches, it doesn't help our road maintainer doesn't know the front of the machine from the back.

• oldedeeres said thank you

#55 BTS OFFLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,723 Thanks
  • 1,723 posts

Posted July 04, 2016 - 12:09 PM

Here's my sweet corn on july 3rd.

Best and earliest in a long time.  Tassels just starting to emerge.

Wow that's nice looking corn, do you sell it? that's a lot to put up!

#56 BTS OFFLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,723 Thanks
  • 1,723 posts

Posted July 04, 2016 - 12:31 PM

In the past 2 days we have gotten 5 inches of rain, we first got 3/4" then 1" then in one night we got 3 1/4", that is the rain the garden has been waiting for! the corn was up within a day after the rain, the pumpkins and melons are now twice the size and the onions look great!. The tomato plants inside the high tunnel are also growing like crazy, some of the tomato plants are now 8' tall, the wire that they are tied to is 7 1/2' tall and the tomatoes are 5 to 6" taller.

I'm going to work on getting cultivators set up on the tractor while it's muddy, I know the weeds are going to start growing in the corn soon!

Attached Thumbnails

• Garden 014.jpg
  • Garden 015.jpg
  • Garden 017.jpg
  • Garden 018.jpg
  • Garden 021.jpg
  • Garden 022.jpg
  • Garden 024.jpg
  • Garden 026.jpg
  • Garden 028.jpg
  • Garden 013.jpg

Edited by BTS, July 04, 2016 - 12:39 PM.

• oldedeeres said thank you

#57 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,446 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted July 04, 2016 - 06:46 PM

Everything looks great ! I never had more then one or two good size onions any year. You have rows of them !
  • BTS said thank you

#58 BTS OFFLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,723 Thanks
  • 1,723 posts

Posted July 04, 2016 - 06:53 PM

Everything looks great ! I never had more then one or two good size onions any year. You have rows of them !

The secrete is good (loose) soil and onion plants not sets, sets are only good for green onions not your slicing onions.

• Alc said thank you

#59 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,860 posts

Posted July 04, 2016 - 06:55 PM

Yes we sell about 2 acres every year.

• BTS said thank you

#60 BTS OFFLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,723 Thanks
  • 1,723 posts

Posted July 04, 2016 - 07:39 PM

Yes we sell about 2 acres every year.

Wow that's a lot, what do you plant it with?

I have the worst time planting sweet corn in my planter, it plants field corn great it's just something about the sweet corn.