#31 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,712 Thanks
  • 1,721 posts

Posted June 10, 2016 - 07:50 PM

The garden is still doing great, picked 10lbs of broccoli last weekend and picked another 20lbs a couple days ago. The tomatoes are doing wonderful, we counted 51 tomatoes on one plant! (have 100 plants). The picture of the tomato limb being help up is showing the height of the plant against the cattle panel, notice the plant is at the top which is 4' tall.

The potatoes aren't ready yet, but we have been stealing some for a couple meals. The peppers plants are really growing and they are flowering like crazy.

Attached Thumbnails

• Garden 012.jpg
  • Garden 004.jpg
  • Garden 001.jpg
  • Garden 003.jpg
  • Garden 007.jpg
  • Garden 010.jpg
  • Garden 008.jpg

Edited by BTS, June 10, 2016 - 08:49 PM.

• Alc, Utah Smitty and Sawdust have said thanks

#32 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted June 11, 2016 - 01:22 AM

Here is a video of planting potatoes, I used the bolens HT23 and the disk hiller. I was able to drive slow and make a hill with a row in it then we dropped the potatoes in 24" apart and then made 2 passes at full speed to cover the potatoes. It seemed to work great, only had to go through and cover a potato here and there.

Great videos and information!!

In years past I've just made a small furrow with a sweep on my Case 444, then planted the potatoes by hand and covered them by hand.  The first year we did that we got about 700 lbs of potatoes (mainly Russets) out of 45 lbs of seed potatoes.  Years 2 and 3 didn't do well due to a wet spring and not being able to keep the weeds under control.

This year I did the same thing you did, only used my Mahindra Max 25 with a tool bar bolted to a 3 point trailer mover I bought.  I made my own brackets and mounted a couple hiller disks I got for Agri Supply... worked very well..

Potatoes came in spotty on the first planting, but we transplanted the volunteers we found in the furrows and they're doing well.

We planted more rows about 3 weeks later, and they're almost catching up to the first planting... hopefully we can stagger the harvest.

We dug them by hand the first two years--what a chore!!  Last year I used a middle buster on my Mahindra... worked pretty good... if I could find the furrow. The Case is narrower than the Mahindra, so I ended up running on the tops of some of the furrows.

This year I swapped out the Industrial type tires and wheels from some Ag tires and wheels.  When I get ready to harvest, I plan to use the middle buster again to bring the potatoes to the surface.

I've also worked harder at keeping the weeds under control... I bought a BCS 725 tiller this spring and repowered it with a Chinese 9 hp OHV engine... works like a champ... I till the furrows to get the weed there, and just bought a furrower to help cover the potatoes... worked pretty good, but wasn't wide enough for the furrows made by the Mahindra, still I still had to complete the hilling by hand, but it wasn't as hard.

Anyway, enough of that... thanks for the pictures and the info... I may try a tunnel next year... wonder if it'll keep the deer out of the melons and tomatoes???

Regards,

Smitty

• BTS said thank you

#33 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,835 Thanks
  • 3,185 posts

Posted June 11, 2016 - 10:48 AM

Don't know where I've been for the last while, but I'm just now catching up on this thread... fantastic, thank you! To tie up tomatoes I use old nylons or panty hose; a trip to the thrift store will yield dozens of them for practically nothing, they are washable and don't rot for years. Being stretchy, they won't strangle the plants either.
  • Alc, Utah Smitty and BTS have said thanks

#34 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,712 Thanks
  • 1,721 posts

Posted June 12, 2016 - 08:09 AM

I may try a tunnel next year... wonder if it'll keep the deer out of the melons and tomatoes???

Regards,

Smitty

We put a 2 1/2' tall fence around our high tunnel to keep rabbits out, we thought the last thing we needed is a rabbit chewing through the plastic. I don't know what size of high tunnel you are thinking about, but this one is 30' X 70' and cost $7000 .

#35 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,712 Thanks
  • 1,721 posts

Posted June 12, 2016 - 08:22 AM

We only had one bale of straw left so I talked to a good friend who is a farmer, he loaded me with 2 bales and left his tractor for me to come back and get another load. His old tractor is a Farmall Super MTA (torque amplifier), he always makes fun of that old tractor, telling me to bring parts when I come because who knows if it will run or not and saying that it's going to collapse when it picks up a bale. But the truth is, out of all of his new John Deere tractors I believe the 2 tractors that are most reliable and run the best is this MTA and his old Farmall H that he uses to pull around a water tank. I climbed on the old tractor and it started as soon as I bumped the starter, it didn't even need to be choked. I loaded 4 bales (3 on the trailer and 1 on the pickup) and I kinda hated to get off the old tractor, makes me think that I need to get me another old M or H with loader, I'm needing to buy a old farm tractor anyway.

The tomatoes are still growing, they are all starting to turn lightly, they are still green but they are a different color of green now.

Attached Thumbnails

• Combine 001.jpg
  • Combine 002.jpg
  • Combine 010.jpg
  • Combine 063.jpg

• Delmar, oldedeeres and propane1 have said thanks

#36 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted June 13, 2016 - 04:48 PM

We put a 2 1/2' tall fence around our high tunnel to keep rabbits out, we thought the last thing we needed is a rabbit chewing through the plastic. I don't know what size of high tunnel you are thinking about, but this one is 30' X 70' and cost $7000 .

I wasn't thinking of something on the scale of your setup... but I've seen them made with PVC pipe for the hoops and about 3-4' tall and length to suit.  We get frosts here until April and sometimes May, so most people don't plant until the middle of May... I wanted something to allow me to plant a little earlier, and also easier to water as we use sprinklers now.  Also, we have deer that come down to the garden through a gulley, plus they spend the day in the next door property which is way overgrown with brush and trees.  They made a mess of our melons and tomatoes the 2nd year, so I planted only squash and potatoes last year--the deer would take a bite out of one squash and ruin it... everyone thinks they're so pretty, which they are, but they are also very destructive.

I was thinking of making a small tunnel to cover a few melon plants, and just tip it up when I need to get into the garden bed...

Smitty

• BTS and oldedeeres have said thanks

#37 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,712 Thanks
  • 1,721 posts

Posted June 15, 2016 - 06:46 AM

I wasn't thinking of something on the scale of your setup... but I've seen them made with PVC pipe for the hoops and about 3-4' tall and length to suit.  We get frosts here until April and sometimes May, so most people don't plant until the middle of May... I wanted something to allow me to plant a little earlier, and also easier to water as we use sprinklers now.  Also, we have deer that come down to the garden through a gulley, plus they spend the day in the next door property which is way overgrown with brush and trees.  They made a mess of our melons and tomatoes the 2nd year, so I planted only squash and potatoes last year--the deer would take a bite out of one squash and ruin it... everyone thinks they're so pretty, which they are, but they are also very destructive.

I was thinking of making a small tunnel to cover a few melon plants, and just tip it up when I need to get into the garden bed...

Smitty

We made a greenhouse out of PVC pipe, we made walls out of large pallets (used for shipping tractors) we put tarp over the wood to keep it dry and we pushed dirt up against them for insulation. We used the thin PVC (didn't have the money for the thicker stuff) and we have had great luck with it. The greenhouse has been through 70mph winds and the pipe held up. I know your not wanting anything this permanent I thought I'd let you know what good luck we've had with it.

Attached Thumbnails

• Greenhouse 006.JPG
  • Greenhouse 004.JPG
  • Greenhouse 003.JPG
  • Greenhouse 005.JPG
  • Greenhouse 002.JPG
  • Greenhouse 001.JPG

• Alc, Utah Smitty and oldedeeres have said thanks

#38 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted June 15, 2016 - 12:29 PM

We made a greenhouse out of PVC pipe, we made walls out of large pallets (used for shipping tractors) we put tarp over the wood to keep it dry and we pushed dirt up against them for insulation. We used the thin PVC (didn't have the money for the thicker stuff) and we have had great luck with it. The greenhouse has been through 70mph winds and the pipe held up. I know your not wanting anything this permanent I thought I'd let you know what good luck we've had with it.

Wow, that's impressive!! Actually I'd love to have something big, just don't have the space or $$ to do it...

However, this has given me some ideas for the small plot at our house--it's about 8 x 30, so I could put up something to cover part of it and allow a longer growing season... I assume the hinged window is there to allow for ventilation.

Smitty
  • BTS said thank you

#39 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,712 Thanks
  • 1,721 posts

Posted June 16, 2016 - 10:32 PM

Wow, that's impressive!! Actually I'd love to have something big, just don't have the space or $$ to do it...

However, this has given me some ideas for the small plot at our house--it's about 8 x 30, so I could put up something to cover part of it and allow a longer growing season... I assume the hinged window is there to allow for ventilation.

Smitty

If you use PVC pipe for hoops, you will need to cover the pipe in some kind of a plastic or material, the PVC has a chemical reaction with the greenhouse plastic and it makes greenhouse plastic brittle and it will deteriorate after a year, although if you replace your plastic every year then it will not matter.

Yes we used the window for a vent, we also had a whole in the back, a fan would also do wonders in one. We used a shade tarp when it got hot out.

• oldedeeres and Sawdust have said thanks

#40 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,712 Thanks
  • 1,721 posts

Posted June 16, 2016 - 11:00 PM

Man the garden really is taking off, we are getting ready to cut the 2nd batch of broccoli, the tomato plants are getting HUGE, the cattle panel trellis in the background is 4' tall, we have some plants that are well over 5' tall and growing. We have millions of green tomatoes, we have some that are starting to turn yellow, with any luck they will be red really quick.

The cucumbers are growing a lot and they are now putting on little cucumbers, I can't wait since they cost me a $1 each from the store. The melons are finally starting to take off, we have watermelon, cantaloupe, honeydew and a very old white eating pumpkin (pumpkins can get up to 50lbs with 5" thick flesh).

The potatoes are getting to the end of their life, we might start pulling plants next week, the weeds and grass are really taking them over and it's to hard to get between the rows with a hoe. Some of the onions are getting are getting to be a nice size, we are probably going to start pulling the big ones as we need them.

My boss asked me if I want any mulch? I said YES and he said his son in law has 10 round bales of straw he wants gone. They are in the middle of harvest but I'm hoping to get them next week. We have already used 3 round bales last week and we have a lot more to mulch.

Attached Thumbnails

• Garden 001.jpg
  • Garden 004.jpg
  • Garden 007.jpg
  • Garden 008.jpg
  • Garden 006.jpg
  • Garden 005.jpg
  • Garden 009.jpg
  • Garden 014.jpg
  • Garden 015.jpg
  • Garden 016.jpg

• Alc and Sawdust have said thanks

#41 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,712 Thanks
  • 1,721 posts

Posted June 16, 2016 - 11:13 PM

Melons, potatoes and onions

Attached Thumbnails

• Garden 017.jpg
  • Garden 018.jpg
  • Garden 019.jpg
  • Garden 023.jpg
  • Garden 024.jpg
  • Garden 025.jpg
  • Garden 027.jpg

• Alc, Bmerf, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#42 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,835 Thanks
  • 3,185 posts

Posted June 17, 2016 - 12:55 AM

Boy, when you mulch you don't kid around!!! Thanks for the pics, they are giving me great ideas.
  • Bmerf and BTS have said thanks

#43 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,712 Thanks
  • 1,721 posts

Posted June 17, 2016 - 10:53 PM

Boy, when you mulch you don't kid around!!! Thanks for the pics, they are giving me great ideas.

No we don't mess around at all!  :smilewink:

Doing this style of garden takes a lot of mulch, otherwise it just grows up into weeds and grass. I wish we would of gotten straw on the potatoes but with all the rain we had in spring we couldn't get it done. We used to have terrible trouble with our melons and pumpkins growing up in to grass. We found out that if you get the straw down before the plants get to size it takes care of all of the weeds/grass. The straw also helps keep the moisture in, at the end of the year I mow the garden with the bush hog to shred the straw into smaller pieces. After I mow I till all of it in, I let it sit maybe a month and then I plow it (pending on weather) then when spring comes I disk it, then till it again and it's ready to plant. I normally haul in cattle manure and try to get it spread over the winter, last year I spread probably 20 dump truck loads and I still ran short on the melons. I am also wanting to haul in a bunch of sand this fall/spring, I am very happy with the way the soil turned out in the first 6 rows of potatoes. :worshippy1:

• Alc, oldedeeres and Sawdust have said thanks

#44 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted June 18, 2016 - 02:10 PM

Is the wire mesh your using coated with plastic. I could never use it, when it got hot the heat from the metal would burn the vines. We've only had a very small garden for over 30 years due to living in the city. We moved to the country mid last year now having what we call a large garden...minute to yours Lol. I have to do some serious trellising here soon for the cucumbers & tomatoes. I don't have time this year but this Fall since we have acres of Cedar trees I plan on cutting these & using the small trunks fir trellising. This has been a lot of fun following yiur garden. Thanks so much for sharing.
  • Alc, BTS and oldedeeres have said thanks

#45 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,712 Thanks
  • 1,721 posts

Posted June 20, 2016 - 07:29 AM

Is the wire mesh your using coated with plastic. I could never use it, when it got hot the heat from the metal would burn the vines. We've only had a very small garden for over 30 years due to living in the city. We moved to the country mid last year now having what we call a large garden...minute to yours Lol. I have to do some serious trellising here soon for the cucumbers & tomatoes. I don't have time this year but this Fall since we have acres of Cedar trees I plan on cutting these & using the small trunks fir trellising. This has been a lot of fun following yiur garden. Thanks so much for sharing.

We use cattle panel not fence, it has 6x8" wholes and it's easier to put up since it is stiff. It isn't plastic coated, we have never had trouble with the plants getting burned.

Thanks

• Alc, Sawdust and propane1 have said thanks