BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 3,969 Thanks
  • 2,328 posts

Posted May 28, 2016 - 11:55 AM

Went out today and found tomatoes!

Also the broccoli heads are twice the size as what they were the other day.

And the last picture is George laying out to dry after a long night of............ well we really don' know what he does at night but I'm sure it's important.

Attached Thumbnails

• Garden 001.jpg
  • Garden 002.jpg
  • Garden 005.jpg

• Alc, skyrydr2, jimbobbillyray and 3 others have said thanks

#17 John Arsenault ONLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 1,890 Thanks
  • 998 posts

Posted May 31, 2016 - 07:55 PM

Went out today and found tomatoes!

Also the broccoli heads are twice the size as what they were the other day.

And the last picture is George laying out to dry after a long night of............ well we really don' know what he does at night but I'm sure it's important.

We have a huge problem with our broccoli bolting past two years we not done well with broccoli.

• BTS said thank you

#18 BTS OFFLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 3,969 Thanks
  • 2,328 posts

Posted May 31, 2016 - 10:38 PM

We have a huge problem with our broccoli bolting past two years we not done well with broccoli.

I would maybe look into a different variety broccoli, also when it heats up you need to check it a lot and get it picked as soon as it's ready.

This year is going to be a great broccoli year because it is so cool.

• Alc said thank you

#19 John Arsenault ONLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 1,890 Thanks
  • 998 posts

Posted June 01, 2016 - 07:28 AM

I would maybe look into a different variety broccoli, also when it heats up you need to check it a lot and get it picked as soon as it's ready.

This year is going to be a great broccoli year because it is so cool.

We did pac man I think it was called.......what kind do you plant ....I am in Maine it can't be that hot here. 

#20 BTS OFFLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 3,969 Thanks
  • 2,328 posts

Posted June 01, 2016 - 08:34 AM

We did pac man I think it was called.......what kind do you plant ....I am in Maine it can't be that hot here. 

We plant packman and emerald crown, I don't know why your broccoli would bolt? maybe try searching and finding a bolt resistant variety.

Ours bolts when it gets really hot and the plants are about done anyone.

• propane1 said thank you

#21 BTS OFFLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 3,969 Thanks
  • 2,328 posts

Posted June 01, 2016 - 10:58 PM

The picture of the broccoli is the same head I posted before, the last picture was 4 days ago and you can see on how much it has grown. We will probably be picking broccoli next week!.

The tomatoes plants are covered in green tomatoes, and the pepper plants are setting on peppers.

I walked into the high tunnel today and stumbled into a wasp killing a green cabbage worm. I quickly pulled out the phone and snapped a picture of the gruesome scene (notice the worm blood on the leaf)

Attached Thumbnails

• Garden 001.jpg
  • Garden 002.jpg
  • Garden 004.jpg
  • Garden 003.jpg
  • Garden 006.jpg

Edited by BTS, June 01, 2016 - 10:59 PM.

• Sawdust, propane1 and CanadianHobbyFarmer have said thanks

#22 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 5,372 Thanks
  • 3,266 posts

Posted June 02, 2016 - 08:17 PM

Just found your thread tonight, very impressive. I like the idea of the sand. We're gardening at our new place for the first time. We have always had or developed good soil over the years. This place is going to be challenging...a lot of clay. We have been buying top soil & making beds to give everything a good start. So far we have added around 12,000 pounds. I like your use of straw too. Did you use a certain kind of sand. Don't apologize for the old truck love it. Keep us posted enjoying your thread.
  • BTS and oldedeeres have said thanks

#23 BTS OFFLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 3,969 Thanks
  • 2,328 posts

Posted June 03, 2016 - 08:09 AM

Just found your thread tonight, very impressive. I like the idea of the sand. We're gardening at our new place for the first time. We have always had or developed good soil over the years. This place is going to be challenging...a lot of clay. We have been buying top soil & making beds to give everything a good start. So far we have added around 12,000 pounds. I like your use of straw too. Did you use a certain kind of sand. Don't apologize for the old truck love it. Keep us posted enjoying your thread.

Thanks, We just used fill sand which is working very well, before next season I'm going to haul sand to the whole garden which is going to be a lot of sand since I'm breaking a lot more ground next year and the garden is going to be just under 2 acres. I hauled 1 truck load which was 5 tons and it did a strip about 10 feet wide and 80 feet long. The straw works really good, except this year we only got 3 rows of potatoes covered and it started raining and the plants got to big to get the tractor down the rows to haul the straw.

• Sawdust said thank you

#24 BTS OFFLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 3,969 Thanks
  • 2,328 posts

Posted June 03, 2016 - 08:29 AM

Yesterday was in the low 80's and sunny and the broccoli and peppers started wilting pretty good although they were just watered that morning, so we thought it's time to start on the shade tarp. We put the shade tarp inside the high tunnel instead of over the outside because it makes a "attic" effect, all the heat rises into the top and it stays cooler down low.

Yesterday we also got wires strung up over the tomatoes so we can start tying them up, we should have done it long ago but we were lacking time and money at the time. We now have the clips to hook onto the plants, now we need to make a 100 stakes out of rebar. (that should be fun :wallbanging:)

I also added in some more pictures of the tomatoes and broccoli

Attached Thumbnails

• Solid Tire 011.jpg
  • Solid Tire 012.jpg
  • Solid Tire 013.jpg
  • Solid Tire 014.jpg
  • Solid Tire 015.jpg

• Sawdust said thank you

#25 Bmerf OFFLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,796 Thanks
  • 1,466 posts

Posted June 03, 2016 - 02:46 PM

That broccoli looks almost ready! Are you planning on leaving the plants in after harvest and picking the little florets that the plant will continue to produce?

• BTS said thank you

#26 BTS OFFLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 3,969 Thanks
  • 2,328 posts

Posted June 03, 2016 - 09:33 PM

That broccoli looks almost ready! Are you planning on leaving the plants in after harvest and picking the little florets that the plant will continue to produce?

We are probably going to start picking it in a day or two, we only have a few heads that are that size and the other half of the broccoli is just now putting on heads.

We will see how fast it puts on the suckers, we will probably pick the first round and then pull the plants. Once the broccoli is out we are then going to plant Edamame and then more broccoli in the fall.

• Alc said thank you

#27 BTS OFFLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 3,969 Thanks
  • 2,328 posts

Posted June 03, 2016 - 10:39 PM

Notice the wilt on the broccoli plants that are in the sun compared to the ones in the shade, it's surprising on what a different it makes.

Today we worked on tying up the tomatoes, we found out that it is going to take a very long time to get them all done. The hardware store only had 1 stick of rebar so we will pick up more on Monday. We were able to make 21 stakes out of a stick of rebar, it took us about 4 hours in the high tunnel tying up plants and we only got 8 plants done. we have aronud 70 or so tomato plants that will need to be tied. For tying the plants onto the string we used little plastic clips they sell just for tying tomatoes, they seem to work great. Can't wait till we get all of this pruned and tied.

:tapping_fingers:

Attached Thumbnails

• Garden Plants 002.jpg
  • Garden Plants 004.jpg
  • Garden Plants 006.jpg
  • Garden Plants 008.jpg
  • Garden Plants 009.jpg

• Alc said thank you

#28 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,855 Thanks
  • 3,395 posts

Posted June 04, 2016 - 03:49 AM

What are those tomatoes? Roma's? How many plants do you have in there ? And did you grow some outside the high tunnel to compare flavor? I have found the more direct the sun the better the taste, also found that this "fish fertilizer" they are pushing for "organic" is horrible!!! You actually can taste it in the veggies and fruits! YUCK!!
How are you watering? Drip system? Also curious why you use straw? Out here that stuff is expensive! And makes a mess.. I have tried it and had poor results , especially on tomatoes.. So i now use the plastic mulch with a drip tape. Outrageous results, too. The mulch keeps them dry ontop and moist and warm at the bottom. And they even have red for tomatoes.. A university study found tomatos did a little better using this red color , i dont use it, but may give it a try some day to see for myself.
  • BTS said thank you

#29 BTS OFFLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 3,969 Thanks
  • 2,328 posts

Posted June 04, 2016 - 07:03 PM

What are those tomatoes? Roma's? How many plants do you have in there ? And did you grow some outside the high tunnel to compare flavor? I have found the more direct the sun the better the taste, also found that this "fish fertilizer" they are pushing for "organic" is horrible!!! You actually can taste it in the veggies and fruits! YUCK!!
How are you watering? Drip system? Also curious why you use straw? Out here that stuff is expensive! And makes a mess.. I have tried it and had poor results , especially on tomatoes.. So i now use the plastic mulch with a drip tape. Outrageous results, too. The mulch keeps them dry ontop and moist and warm at the bottom. And they even have red for tomatoes.. A university study found tomatos did a little better using this red color , i dont use it, but may give it a try some day to see for myself.

Our tomatoes are Health Kick (Roma's) Celebrity (Medium Slicing)  Big Boy, Parks Whopper, Big Beef  (sandwich tomatoes)  Juliet's (large cherry tomato). We have the most Roma tomatoes because we do a lot of canning.

We have 101 tomatoes, 60 broccoli, 60 peppers, half row of carrots and a half row of lettuce (1 row is 65' long).

We didn't grow any tomatoes outside the high tunnel, they should taste fine because the ones you buy in the store are grown in hot houses and are most likely grown in hydroponics. They are also picked green and sent from who knows where to be sold. The high tunnel is completely opened up during the summer and it will only be closed up in spring and fall to extend the seasons. We used fish fertilizer one year when the plants where only a few inches tall. We don't use it because it is made of ground fish and it seems like a wast of food. It also seems cruel to grind fish alive.

Right now we are needing to set up a good watering system, we have all the plans to do it but we are lacking funds. We are just using a garden hose and a watering wand. We make sure not to get any water on any leaves of the plants to help keep down diseases. We want to set up drip lines on all the beds plumbed into shut off valves for each bed along the wall. We are also going to set up a water retention pond and have the high tunnel/shed/house gutters drain into ditches so we can then water with rain water instead of well water.
We get all of our straw for free, we got 15 round bales last summer for free from my boss, we can get more from a friend who bales up a ton of straw for his own garden and he puts some up for us too. The straw seems to work great, it's good for the soil when it rots down and it keeps keeps the ground moist plus it keeps out weeds. We just till it in at the end of the year and let it rot over the winter.  I have heard of using beat juice and newspapers under tomatoes. I have heard it works well.

• Alc, oldedeeres and Sawdust have said thanks

#30 BTS OFFLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 3,969 Thanks
  • 2,328 posts

Posted June 04, 2016 - 11:12 PM

Got about half the tomatoes tied and we ran out of string line (just bought a new roll this morning) so I guess I'll half to take Sunday off and then get started again on Monday.

Can anyone guess on how our corn is doing? I weeded it today with the Kubota and 4' bush hog :(

Attached Thumbnails

• Garden 005.jpg
  • Garden 013.jpg
  • Garden 014.jpg
  • Garden 015.jpg
  • Garden 016.jpg
  • Koyker Kubota  Loader 017.jpg

• propane1 said thank you