Freeing Locked bolts/nuts

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JakeQT17 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 6095
  • 18 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted May 16, 2016 - 07:08 PM

The brakes on my Power King barely engage so I would like to adjust them. However, the threaded adjustment piece is a little corroded and locked. 

I tried putting PB blaster on it. - still wouldn't budge

I heated up one side of it, and got it to turn about  a quarter turn. However, I can't get it to turn any further, and go back and forth .25 of a turn and that is it. 

Any ideas on how to get it to move the rest of the way? 

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1316.JPG

• hamman said thank you

#2 Marty'70 OFFLINE  

I didn't do it! Unless you have paperwork to back it up

• Member No: 72105
  • 702 Thanks
  • 609 posts

Posted May 16, 2016 - 07:27 PM

If it's rusted bad enough, I have had to go 1/4 turn at a time if necessary. Meaning heat it up and turn it 1/4 heat again and turn 1/4 turn and then back 1/2 turn....eventually it may go
  • hamman and JakeQT17 have said thanks

#3 icpik OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8205
  • 21 Thanks
  • 36 posts

Posted May 16, 2016 - 08:25 PM

PB blaster and other sprays that loosen frozen connectors take time to work.  Usually days and sometimes weeks.  Keep at it.

Don Hayes

#4 jabelman OFFLINE  

• Member No: 38843
  • 1,452 Thanks
  • 1,117 posts

Posted May 16, 2016 - 08:27 PM

I would soak it in coffee can with mix of atf & acetone for a few days
  • hamman, KennyP and JakeQT17 have said thanks

#5 Sawdust OFFLINE  

• Member No: 36549
  • 4,516 Thanks
  • 2,827 posts

Posted May 16, 2016 - 08:31 PM

I just got a frozen drive shaft yoke apart yesterday. I've been heating & soaking it for almost two weeks. Try to keep your heat focused on just the outer part & not everything. Patience works the best on these jobs.

• Member No: 62466
  • 895 Thanks
  • 782 posts

Posted May 16, 2016 - 10:26 PM

I've had the best results with a 50/50 mix of ATF and acetone as posted a coffee can or what ever leave it for at least 4 / 5 days.

• KennyP and JakeQT17 have said thanks

#7 jimmy G OFFLINE  

jimmy G
  • Member No: 78021
  • 233 Thanks
  • 169 posts

Posted May 16, 2016 - 11:42 PM

Lay it on an anvil so you can roll it while wackin it with hammer right where you've been putting the pipe wrench, this will stretch the outside piece and chrush the crap, go all the way around so it doesn't get out of round. put the pipe wrench above were the threads are, a pipe wrench over tight threads just gets tighter
  • JakeQT17 said thank you

#8 Phluphy OFFLINE  

• Member No: 70148
  • 308 Thanks
  • 401 posts

Posted May 17, 2016 - 12:24 AM

Years ago I foolishly over-loaded a grain trailer-98,000# net-and, even stupider, in the dim light of pre-dawn, elected to park in the huge parking lot across from a coffee shop in Stanfield AZ. Huge mistake. It was actually a well cultivated, harvested cotton field, Nothing but powder a foot deep. 

Only wrecker available was a small home-made type. When it showed up I nearly laughed. Compare to a GT trying to pull a CAT earth mover.

Tractor and trailer were heading back to the pavement when it bogged down, but a good 100 feet away.

"Don't worry, I'll get you out", driver said. "When my front axle hits the ground, that's all you've got."

He was right. Put a snatch block on my bumper, ran his cable out, winched it in...Lifting his front axle up about 5 feet.

Told me to use lowest gear and when I stopped moving that would be it. Not to try going any further.

Long story short, averaging 6,8-maybe 12 inches each time, it worked.

He only charged $50 for the 3 hour effort.

Bit off topic, but, a few will realize the point.

Patience...as long as there is a bit of movement, take your time and work it back and forth, ATF/acetone-as suggested by MNGB works and less cost than commercial products.

• KennyP, JakeQT17, jpackard56 and 1 other said thanks