Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

A little information needed please.........

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted May 16, 2016 - 06:27 PM

Tonight I picked up a Craftsman GT 5000 from a friend of ours who needs it fixed. I believe the tractor runs ok but she has had the worst luck with the mower deck. Now I have read in the past where these tractors and decks were prone to having problems. She can't keep a belt on it and the deck seems to fall off the tractor at times. I just now got it home so it hasn't been looked at it closely yet. Any of you guys and gals have anything for me on this? I have seen others like it sitting at a couple of SE shops that were being parted out. Thanks in advance for any help.                                                                                                                Roger.

• propane1 and angelzs69 have said thanks

#2 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,110 Thanks
  • 3,202 posts

Posted May 16, 2016 - 06:58 PM

To new a mower for me to comment Roger. All of my tractors are 35 years old or more. Better hangers, for the deck and better belt guides, to keep the belt on, maybe.

Noel
  • TheFarm2004 and hamman have said thanks

#3 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,739 Thanks
  • 8,913 posts

Posted May 16, 2016 - 07:06 PM

Roger, you're most likely going to find wallowed out holes in the hanger hardware, for sure a bad idler pulley, and maybe some bent pulleys or bad bearings.
  • hamman and HDWildBill have said thanks

#4 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted May 16, 2016 - 07:09 PM

Didn't Alan (MH81) just do away with his?

I bet he knows a thing or two about them.

• hamman and KennyP have said thanks

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,300 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted May 16, 2016 - 07:38 PM

Didn't Alan (MH81) just do away with his?
I bet he knows a thing or two about them.

Cat hit it on the head. Probably not tracking square from the front hangers and the guides up by the motor are probably not lined up.
Another thing to check is motor bolt tightness, they will loosen sometimes.

One more... Briggs or Kohler? I've heard this before, but it seems to be more oft the Briggs. Maybe because they sold more of them (100 cheaper) or may be a common link.
  • hamman and CRFarnsworth have said thanks

#6 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted May 16, 2016 - 08:14 PM

It's a Kohler 25 hp. single. I just came in from looking at it and the warbled out hangers are possible and There is definitely a bad spindle and I don't know what else yet. Thanks. I will let ya know I find. Just trying to help this lady out but I don't think it's going to have a good outcome.                                    Roger

• MH81 and propane1 have said thanks

#7 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,300 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted May 16, 2016 - 08:33 PM

25 single? I think if you look, it's a twin
  • hamman and MNGB have said thanks

#8 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted May 16, 2016 - 09:28 PM

Ya I was a little distracted when I typed that, hahahahahahahah. I didn't proof read it like I usually do. Been a long day. Son just bought a 1970 33' Chris Craft Cabin Cruiser and wants to park it next to the garage. To dang many distractions. More on that folly later.  Thanks.                                        Roger

• MH81 and propane1 have said thanks

#9 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted May 17, 2016 - 04:00 PM

Got the deck off today and now I see why people don't like this particular tractor. In the book it tells how to adjust and readjust the deck for best performance and then says it may need additional adjustments as you use it. Besides it being a pain to get off and on.

I found no pulleys pad as far as bearings or being stuck goes. The dive belt was stuck in the pulleys on the clutch and mower deck. The center quill (mandrel) has  a bad bearing. Curiously that is the only one that is greasable? She left this sit in her garage for several years and the other pulleys that no belt on them are rusted bad. I'm not sure if they will clean up good enough to reuse. If I have her order all the parts for it so it will be done right it will be nearly $ 500.00  I'm going to pull some of the pulleys and clean them on a wire wheel and then sand them a little to see if they will be smooth enough to use without burning up a belt. It need both mower belts and when she bought the tune up kit they gave he a kit for a Kohler single cylinder and that was 5 years ago. The tractor started right up and drove fine but the deck is the problem. They don't list the quills (mandrels) separately in the parts diagram so I guess they can be repaired with new bearings and such. More later after I get some pics and talk to her.  Thanks              Roger

• MH81 and KennyP have said thanks

#10 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted May 24, 2016 - 08:05 PM

Well I did some more looking and found the deck needs all new quill bearings and all new v belt pulleys. It needs a guide wheel and new blades as well as belts. The tractor started and run good. It needs a rear tube but runs out well for sitting for so long. I told the friend about this and she just wants to junk the deck and service the tractor and she will use it to haul a wagon with. The parts totaled around $ 400.00. She wanted them from Sears because that is where she had bought way back then. Going to pull parts and store them and junk the deck and get rid of it.  Thanks for all the help and information.                                                       Roger

#11 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,709 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted May 24, 2016 - 08:24 PM

Roger, most of the mandrel I've seen on the craftsman are rebuildable just as long as the case's and mounts are still good.  I go down to our local Napa and get the bearings and most of the parts I need.  You can go here: http://www.petessmal...l/page_045.html and get the complete assembly if you need one.

• hamman said thank you

#12 daytime dave ONLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted May 24, 2016 - 08:49 PM

Roger,  sorry, I too have been busy and just saw this.

I picked one up last year.  It needed a good tune up on the 25 Kohler, the deck scraped and a guide wheel.  People's complaints regularly state how hard deck comes off, height is just too low no matter where deck is adjusted, deck hanging equipment wears fast, spindles are rarely greaseable, engine head gasket frequently goes, hydro creeps in neutral, muffler rusts out early, steering goes usually because of teeth breaking off.

I like mine for what I got it for, a back up to my parents cub.  I'm glad I got it because the cub needs at least a tune up and possibly more.  I just returned from using the GT5000 at their place.  It cuts very nicely, once you get the settings down.  I have the 9 bushel bagger system on mine.  It worked great on the leaves at my fiance's place.  I almost got a two stage snow blower for it this winter, but when I finally got the money, it was gone.  Mine has a nice 10 gauge deck on it and it was easy to take care of what was wrong.  I'm not sure I'd want to tackle hers either.

Good luck.  

Dave

Edited by daytime dave, May 24, 2016 - 08:50 PM.

• MH81 and hamman have said thanks

#13 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted May 25, 2016 - 09:14 AM

Roger, most of the mandrel I've seen on the craftsman are rebuildable just as long as the case's and mounts are still good.  I go down to our local Napa and get the bearings and most of the parts I need.  You can go here: http://www.petessmal...l/page_045.html and get the complete assembly if you need one.

Thanks for the info. I was told the bottom bearing wasn't replaceable and that you had to replace the whole shaft and bottom bearing as a unit. This will save her some money. Maybe I will re look at this next week to see if it's possible to save some money and get it back working for her. She has another rider but she liked this one. Thanks for the help guys.                                                                                                                                                                           Roger

• HDWildBill said thank you

#14 4tom OFFLINE  

4tom
  • Member No: 73635
  • 25 Thanks
  • 42 posts

Posted June 19, 2016 - 11:32 PM

I see decks regularly on CL. Might find a parts deck cheap.