• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Paulgo OFFLINE  

Paulgo
  • Member No: 68759
  • 594 Thanks
  • 393 posts

Posted May 16, 2016 - 12:30 PM

This OH140 engine is on an old Bolens that my neighbor owns. Tractor is still being worked, but uses oil and puts out a lot of smoke. He'd like to have engine rebuilt or replaced with good used horizontalal shaft engine. I don't see any actual rebuild kits online for it. Will probably just have to see what other engines turn up in our area and try to match stub shaft and electric clutch?

Paul

Edited by Paulgo, May 16, 2016 - 12:48 PM.

• debbieox4 said thank you

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted May 16, 2016 - 01:13 PM

Depending on how worn your bore is you could very well be ok just re-ringing the motor if all its doing is smoking and still has power.

I have fixed many wisconsins with similar issues just doing the valves and rings

• boyscout862, Auburn David, Bolens800uk and 1 other said thanks

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,545 posts

Posted May 16, 2016 - 03:51 PM

For the heck of it, try putting 1/2 oz of Marvel Mystery Oil in each gallon of gas that it gets. The Marvel may free up the rings and reduce smoking. It takes awhile but has worked well on many engines for me over the passed 49 years. Good Luck, Rick
  • Sawdust, propane1 and Paulgo have said thanks

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,735 posts

Posted May 16, 2016 - 04:11 PM

For the heck of it, try putting 1/2 oz of Marvel Mystery Oil in each gallon of gas that it gets. The Marvel may free up the rings and reduce smoking. It takes awhile but has worked well on many engines for me over the passed 49 years. Good Luck, Rick

I'll second that! Worked for me a few times! Put an ounce or so in the oil too!

• boyscout862, propane1 and Paulgo have said thanks

#5 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,116 Thanks
  • 3,206 posts

Posted May 16, 2016 - 05:01 PM

Helped some of my engines to, but I use transmission fluid, in the gas and oil. Governor was stuck in my 1951 tea20 ferguson farm tractor. The transmission fluid fixed it. Governor works now.

Noel
  • Paulgo said thank you

#6 Paulgo OFFLINE  

Paulgo
  • Member No: 68759
  • 594 Thanks
  • 393 posts

Posted May 16, 2016 - 05:43 PM

I wonder if soaking over night with atf and then draining/refilling with normal oil might free up stuck rings?

Depending on how worn your bore is you could very well be ok just re-ringing the motor if all its doing is smoking and still has power.

I have fixed many wisconsins with similar issues just doing the valves and rings

I have limited experience inside an engine and a couple of stupid questions. 1. If the bore isn't too bad I might be able to re-ring the piston. Would that be with the same size or the next size wider rings? 2. Doing the valves? Is that just lapping and adjusting or would it involve seats and guides?

#7 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,545 posts

Posted May 16, 2016 - 07:15 PM

I wonder if soaking over night with atf and then draining/refilling with normal oil might free up stuck rings?

I have limited experience inside an engine and a couple of stupid questions. 1. If the bore isn't too bad I might be able to re-ring the piston. Would that be with the same size or the next size wider rings? 2. Doing the valves? Is that just lapping and adjusting or would it involve seats and guides?

Try pouring an ounce of MMO through the plug hole when the piston is down abit and let it sit for a few days. For overhauling, You can go to the length you want. When I do a "swamp yankee refresh job" on a cheap old engine I: disassemble and clean the engine, inspect all wear surfaces, ridge ream and hone the cylinder(if it is less than 0.008" over I reuse the piston and rings), clean the piston and ring groves, clean each ring and then rub with croacous cloth lengthwise, clean and lap the valves, grind the valve lash to 0.002" less than is called for(this allows latter correction), assemble with new gaskets and seals, overhaul the carb and clean the tank, fill fluids, run for 15 to 30 minutes and change the oil. I've gained many years this way without spending more than the $20 for the gasket set.  Find a freebie lawn mower to practice on first. The B&S Repairmans' Manual(jn our Manuals Section) is excellant.  Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, May 16, 2016 - 07:19 PM.

• Sawdust and Paulgo have said thanks

#8 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted May 16, 2016 - 07:37 PM

In most cases the same size ring set, I would also hone the cylinder when installing the new rings as well as lapping the valves. All of this can be done fairly easy with inexpensive tools

• MH81 and Paulgo have said thanks

#9 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,036 Thanks
  • 1,128 posts

Posted May 16, 2016 - 09:19 PM

Most of the time these ideas work but in my case with an HH120 the cylinder had enough "taper" (wider at the bottom of the bore) that the piston was actually cocked a few thousanths. Overbore pistons are rare and expensive. It still ran great but it was getting hard to see through the smoke. I re-powered it with a new Honda clone. This pic is the top ring land that shows the piston was riding crooked in the bore. I tried a standard bore rebuild but it didn't last long.

DAC 

Attached Thumbnails

• HH120 piston & valves 019.jpg

Edited by MFDAC, May 16, 2016 - 09:33 PM.

• boyscout862, dodge trucker and Paulgo have said thanks

#10 ClassicBolens OFFLINE  

ClassicBolens
  • Member No: 48806
  • 962 Thanks
  • 380 posts

Posted May 17, 2016 - 09:35 PM

If you go with new rings, I also recommend replacing the valve guides while you're in there. They are typically prone to wear before the valve stems do (I'd check the valves for wear too). Worn guides can cause a lot of smoke and oil bypassing. Tecumseh Part# 730218. They run less than $20.00.
  • Paulgo said thank you

#11 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,503 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted May 19, 2016 - 08:07 AM

Yeah, could be a valve guide issue. Heads can be a pain to remove, I've done the one on my OH160, you have to remove all the springs/keepers to be able to remove the upper rocker box so you can access a couple head bolts.

The 14 has a different bore than the others so good luck finding rings, those were as plentiful as the 12's or 16's

OH specs.jpg

• Sawdust and Paulgo have said thanks

#12 det12187 OFFLINE  

det12187
  • Member No: 75145
  • 23 Thanks
  • 40 posts

Posted May 19, 2016 - 10:32 AM

With the expense of machining and parts I would go with re-powering with a Honda clone.

Overhead valve, quiet, and fuel effcient.

• Paulgo said thank you

#13 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted May 21, 2016 - 06:46 PM

Honda no way.
  • Paulgo said thank you

#14 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted May 22, 2016 - 01:10 PM

Most of the time these ideas work but in my case with an HH120 the cylinder had enough "taper" (wider at the bottom of the bore) that the piston was actually cocked a few thousanths. Overbore pistons are rare and expensive. It still ran great but it was getting hard to see through the smoke.

DAC

Usually a tapered bore us bigger at the top of the cylinder.
  • MFDAC and Paulgo have said thanks

#15 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted May 22, 2016 - 02:37 PM

The 14 has a different bore than the others so good luck finding rings, those were as plentiful as the 12's or 16's

attachicon.gifOH specs.jpg

The bore for a OH140 is the same as the HH100.

• TAHOE and Paulgo have said thanks