Finally getting around to do a few things after a real wet spring to start with. Was scheduled for Knee replacement the end of June. First of April they had a cancellation and asked if I wanted the opening. I said yes - then found out it was in 2 weeks ! Talk about a mad house to get things organized so the Mrs. could keep up will I was in-incapacitated. April 13th they did the job and came home the 16th.
I cut up the material for the bridge and had it in the basement shop. 2 weeks ago I made the first trip down the stairs to the basement to start the project. A week ago I started walking without the cane, for the most part. Finished up the bridge this morning. Old one was literally falling apart as it was built with pine. Have only run a train one time so far this spring. Weeds have about taken over the whole railroad so have a lot of work in that area to do. Then put down a bunch of Preen to stop any new growth.
Bridge is 46" long, 7" inside width and 9" height clearance. Built from 1/2" square and 1/2 X 3/8" cedar using exterior wood glue and 1" nails from an electric slight head nail gun. Those nails have great holding power in soft wood and the exterior glue will stand up to about any weather conditions. Now, to get the old one out and the new set in place, blocked and leveled up to match the track. Talking rain today so probably won't get that done.