5 replies to this topic

#1 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,138 Thanks
  • 4,490 posts

Posted May 16, 2016 - 09:54 AM

Finally getting around to do a few things after a real wet spring to start with.  Was scheduled for Knee replacement the end of June.  First of April they had a cancellation and asked if I wanted the opening.  I said yes - then found out it was in 2 weeks !  Talk about a mad house to get things organized so the Mrs. could keep up will I was in-incapacitated.  April 13th they did the job and came home the 16th.

I cut up the material for the bridge and had it in the basement shop.  2 weeks ago I made the first trip down the stairs to the basement to start the project.  A week ago I started walking without the cane, for the most part.  Finished up the bridge this morning.  Old one was literally falling apart as it was built with pine.  Have only run a train one time so far this spring.   Weeds have about taken over the whole railroad so have a lot of work in that area to do.  Then put down a bunch of Preen to stop any new growth.

Bridge is 46" long, 7" inside width and 9" height clearance.  Built from 1/2" square and 1/2 X 3/8" cedar using exterior wood glue and 1" nails from an electric slight head nail gun.  Those nails have great holding power in soft wood and the exterior glue will stand up to about any weather conditions.  Now, to get the old one out and the new set in place, blocked and leveled up to match the track.  Talking rain today so probably won't get that done.

South Bridge-1.JPG     South Bridge-2.JPG

• Alc, hamman, MFDAC and 6 others have said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,383 Thanks
  • 39,650 posts

Posted May 16, 2016 - 10:08 AM

Glad you are healing well! Be careful of getting on that knee for a bit yet. Very nice looking bridge!

• jpackard56, boyscout862 and chieffan have said thanks

#3 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,138 Thanks
  • 4,490 posts

Posted May 16, 2016 - 11:31 AM

Thanks Kenny.   Right now the knee is not the problem.  Had to walk about 40' from my room to the nurse's station and back with a walker before they would release me.  Now it is getting the energy built back up again.  PT is helping the mussels get back going again.  A 45 min. session about does me in for a couple hours.

• KennyP, jpackard56, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#4 pick-to-stone ONLINE  

pick-to-stone

Living in the past

• Member No: 76550
  • 253 Thanks
  • 371 posts

Posted May 16, 2016 - 11:38 AM

The brige looks awasome you are great at wood work
  • jpackard56 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#5 KC9KAS ONLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,781 Thanks
  • 4,302 posts

Posted May 16, 2016 - 05:47 PM

Very nice bridge!

Physical therapy is rough, but I know a lot of people that had knee or hip replacements.

The one's that followed the doctors orders on the PT had much less problems that the folks that "skipped" the PT!

My 82 year old dad just had back surgery.

He was in the surgery hospital for 3 days and in the PT hospital for a week, and he is doing great after 4 weeks!

• KennyP said thank you

#6 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted May 16, 2016 - 09:10 PM

Glad to hear your doing well & doing your PT, that is so important especially in getting your strength back. I had both my shoulder joints replaced within a two year period. I remember after PT I had to take the rest of the day to recoop.

Good looking bridge. Do you seal or coat any of your projects to protect them. Most of my rustic stuff I use cedar or sometimes poplar but of coarse it never sees the outdoors. I sure wished I could use nails but they don't have them small enough for HO scale.lol Looking good!