• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted May 15, 2016 - 10:53 AM

Went out into the garden & couldn't see 1/3 rd of our beets. The tops were about an inch above ground & doing well. These were eaten at ground level. I'm going to try an organic concoction tonight before I go rabbit hunting tomorrow....the wife frowned on this idea she likes the bunnies. :cowboy_shooter: Cucumber seedlings were going out this week so I guess this is a blessing in disguise to see it this early. I still have plenty of beet seeds to replace for a later crop. I know fencing is the best but not in the budget right now. A friend of mine said he put a small radio on a talk station covered with a bucket to keep it from getting wet in his garden & worked for him....might try this too. 

• Gtractor, Alc, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#2 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,889 Thanks
  • 2,794 posts

Posted May 15, 2016 - 01:07 PM

Went out into the garden & couldn't see 1/3 rd of our beets. The tops were about an inch above ground & doing well. These were eaten at ground level. I'm going to try an organic concoction tonight before I go rabbit hunting tomorrow....the wife frowned on this idea she likes the bunnies. :cowboy_shooter: Cucumber seedlings were going out this week so I guess this is a blessing in disguise to see it this early. I still have plenty of beet seeds to replace for a later crop. I know fencing is the best but not in the budget right now. A friend of mine said he put a small radio on a talk station covered with a bucket to keep it from getting wet in his garden & worked for him....might try this too. 

Yeah those furry critters got all my green beans last year but not this year poultry mesh.

• Sawdust said thank you

#3 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted May 15, 2016 - 02:16 PM

Put a bucket on a radio talk show??  That really work? :smilewink:

• Sawdust said thank you

#4 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,646 Thanks
  • 7,675 posts

Posted May 15, 2016 - 04:05 PM

I've seen more rabbits this spring than in years past.

• Sawdust said thank you

#5 Greasy6020 OFFLINE  

Greasy6020
  • Member No: 78477
  • 668 Thanks
  • 650 posts

Posted May 15, 2016 - 07:33 PM

Wife probably will like rabbit stew... Or one of my favourites for partridge/ruffed grouse:

Put a splat of butter in a hot frying pan, pour a bit of red wine into pan with butter. Put partridge into pan in butter/wine mix. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve while hot. Serve rest of wine with supper if desired...
  • Sawdust said thank you

#6 cootertom ONLINE  

cootertom
  • Member No: 59950
  • 1,326 Thanks
  • 718 posts

Posted May 15, 2016 - 08:26 PM

Dust them with lime, they don't like it and won't eat a plant with it on them. Have to dust again when it rains.

• Sawdust said thank you

#7 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted June 08, 2016 - 08:18 AM

Well GL your advice has worked. A couple of guys at church said they done the same thing with the radio. I wanted to wait awhile to make sure so it's been about three weeks now & no damage anywhere.

The radio has been on a well known talk show here in town 24/7. It's funny I dug up a few old radios that the kids had & none of them worked. I got a small boom box my son had, placed it on a small bench to keep it off the ground then I covered it with a large galvanized wash tub. Hats off to ya GL...thanks.

Edited by Sawdust, June 08, 2016 - 08:19 AM.

• Bmerf and oldedeeres have said thanks

#8 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,947 posts

Posted June 08, 2016 - 11:59 AM

I think some of my beans gotten eaten by rabbits, a lot of them around this year.

I sprinkled Seven dust all over my plants, mainly for bugs but maybe it will taste bad to the rabbits also.

I trapped a raccoon this morning in the garden, that's the last chicken he will eat. I've lost 6 in the last 3 weeks, got my nice rooster on top of it.

• Alc and Sawdust have said thanks

#9 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,889 Thanks
  • 2,794 posts

Posted June 08, 2016 - 12:01 PM

I've seen more rabbits this spring than in years past.

We are overrun with rabbits and chipmonks the hawks can't keep up never seen anything like it. Maybe its good that all the chemical company's are gone from NJ.

#10 bbuckler OFFLINE  

bbuckler
  • Member No: 59269
  • 2,087 Thanks
  • 1,890 posts

Posted June 08, 2016 - 12:05 PM

We are overrun with rabbits they eat every squash that comes on

• Sawdust said thank you

#11 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted June 08, 2016 - 12:25 PM

We've only had four I think a family, one big one looks like the buck then a mid size then two babies. I want to shoot the buck but he's cleaver. I took a shot with an old 22 bolt action last week but forgot I had the sights set for long range the last time I shot it. He flinched his ears & took off. I feel like Elmer Fudd....dadadadadag gum wabbit.
  • Alc and HANKG have said thanks

#12 Bmerf OFFLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted June 08, 2016 - 06:57 PM

I don't know about the little critters, but had problems a few years back with deer rubbing on my freshly planted apple trees. Took the extra leftover small pieces of bar soap and put it in onion bags hung from the trees. No more rubs. This year, I have just laid the broken up pieces on the ground around the garden. No deer or rabbit problems; yet. Knock on wood.