• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 bubster OFFLINE  

bubster
  • Member No: 82936
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted May 15, 2016 - 10:19 AM

Hello all, I have an old Craftsman 2 lawn tractor, 14 hp. I believe it is from 1984, anyhow, I really like the old thing and use it a lot. I would like to add a kill/panic or emergency stop switch since it has none. Maintenance guys at the shop suggested it, so I bought one of the push button with the red "mushroom" top that you push in for an emergency and turn it to reset it kind, one side has normally closed contacts and the other is normally open. I know absolutely nothing about wiring this in but would like to try to. If some kind soul could help me out to get this wired in correctly, I would greatly appreciate it, but please keep in mind I am not very experienced at this type of thing but want to learn. I did download the manual for this tractor and the model number is 917.255813 if this helps....Thank you.

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted May 15, 2016 - 11:37 AM

Welcome to GTtalk. One of the Craftsmen guys will be along shortly to help you out.
  • boyscout862 and bubster have said thanks

#3 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,807 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted May 15, 2016 - 12:35 PM

Welcome to GTT. You should be able to install the switch on the dash. Wire it as normally open with one leg to the ground and the other to the magneto. That way, when you push the button, it grounds the magneto. That is what the key normally does too. Just besure that it is a magneto ignition. Download the big engine manual from our Manuals Section. It will explain alot.

What I do with most of my riders is set the idle so low that the engine dies. That way I just hit the throttle down to kill the engine. Thankfully even my shoveldozer is that way. One time, I was thrown forward so hard that I ended on the hood. My knee hit the throttle and killed the engine as I flew by. I won't drive down a steep slope with a loaded bucket again. Good Luck, Rick

• Sawdust and bubster have said thanks

#4 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted May 15, 2016 - 12:56 PM

:welcome: to GTtalk glad to have you so don't be a stranger. Good advice already mentioned. Two of my GT's are old & much easier like boyscout862 mentioned to adjust the throttle down than to add a kill switch. :thumbs:

• boyscout862 and bubster have said thanks

#5 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,668 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted May 15, 2016 - 02:23 PM

Not sure I understand the need for this switch??  Doesn't tractor shut off with a key?  Kids running it?   You're doing NOn-tractor things with it?  My opinion a push button has to have you right there and HOLDING it till engine stops to work.  A regular toggle switch would just go to off and you can let go while it coasts down.

#6 bubster OFFLINE  

bubster
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted May 15, 2016 - 03:09 PM

Welcome to GTT. You should be able to install the switch on the dash. Wire it as normally open with one leg to the ground and the other to the magneto. That way, when you push the button, it grounds the magneto. That is what the key normally does too. Just besure that it is a magneto ignition. Download the big engine manual from our Manuals Section. It will explain alot.

What I do with most of my riders is set the idle so low that the engine dies. That way I just hit the throttle down to kill the engine. Thankfully even my shoveldozer is that way. One time, I was thrown forward so hard that I ended on the hood. My knee hit the throttle and killed the engine as I flew by. I won't drive down a steep slope with a loaded bucket again. Good Luck, Rick

Thanks for the reply, I downloaded some fresh and clean manuals and found out some interesting things such engine is a 1986, and that I have a Magnetron module as I found the spare unit original owner gave me. I have not taken tractor apart yet but am uncertain about where the magneto wire attached however once I take it apart and look at it I may be okay.  My wife is either wise or has little confidence in me as she though it may be a good idea to cut the grass again before I do anything.  Again, thank you for r your reply.

#7 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 889 Thanks
  • 496 posts

Posted May 15, 2016 - 04:56 PM

The short answer to your question is you can wire it in at the key switch.  How you wire it will depend on how the ignition actually works.

Many (most?) of these small engines use some form of a magneto or CDI ignition.  On those types the engine is turned off by grounding the magneto or charging coil.  On these types the key switch works opposite of most switches you are familiar with - the "OFF" position actually completes the circuit to ground the ignition.

If that's the way yours is you wire your kill switch in parallel with the ignition switch.  You tap into the wire from the ignition to the key switch and run to a terminal on your kill switch.  The other terminal from the kill switch is connected to ground.  Not sure how the switch is labeled, but they will be the terminals that complete the circuit with the button pushed in.

The blue wiring is what you need to add.

switch.jpg

• bubster said thank you

#8 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,777 Thanks
  • 7,706 posts

Posted May 15, 2016 - 05:05 PM

Not sure I understand the need for this switch??  Doesn't tractor shut off with a key?  Kids running it?   You're doing NOn-tractor things with it?  My opinion a push button has to have you right there and HOLDING it till engine stops to work.  A regular toggle switch would just go to off and you can let go while it coasts down.

I don't understand the need for it either. Wiring it into the Magneto seems to be the best option so that when you push the button it kills the engine.

#9 bubster OFFLINE  

bubster
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted May 15, 2016 - 05:27 PM

The short answer to your question is you can wire it in at the key switch.  How you wire it will depend on how the ignition actually works.

Many (most?) of these small engines use some form of a magneto or CDI ignition.  On those types the engine is turned off by grounding the magneto or charging coil.  On these types the key switch works opposite of most switches you are familiar with - the "OFF" position actually completes the circuit to ground the ignition.

If that's the way yours is you wire your kill switch in parallel with the ignition switch.  You tap into the wire from the ignition to the key switch and run to a terminal on your kill switch.  The other terminal from the kill switch is connected to ground.  Not sure how the switch is labeled, but they will be the terminals that complete the circuit with the button pushed in.

The blue wiring is what you need to add.

attachicon.gifswitch.jp

Excellent!, Thank you for the drawing.  Will certainly check this out.