• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Shiloh OFFLINE  

Shiloh
  • Member No: 82679
  • 16 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted May 14, 2016 - 09:26 PM

Well I have now jointed the ranks of those of you who have beaten, broken, burnt and pounded the steering wheel into a pile of smoldering bits and pieces. It was not traumatic as I had already received my new wheel from Steiner and it was a perfect match. Now my question is on all of the nylon bushings and rubber grommets that are associated with the steering wheel / dash set up.... do I just find them in hardware stores and the like or is there a known supply????

• DMAX, MH81 and jms180 have said thanks

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,268 Thanks
  • 28,606 posts

Posted May 15, 2016 - 06:56 AM

It is my understanding that most guys go they McMaster Carr for those bits and pieces that can't be saved.
  • DMAX and Shiloh have said thanks

#3 ckjakline OFFLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6073
  • 1,080 Thanks
  • 1,093 posts

Posted May 15, 2016 - 08:04 AM

i kinda remember someone using a stepped bearing at top of steering tube instead of a bushing.

• DMAX and Shiloh have said thanks

#4 DMAX ONLINE  

DMAX

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 264
  • 182 Thanks
  • 70 posts

Posted May 15, 2016 - 09:49 AM

I've used the bearings from the front wheels. The 3/4" Inside diameter fits perfect on the steering shaft. I believe the O.D. of the bearing is 1-3/8". It's a little loose in the steering tube so I rolled up a thin piece of thin sheet metal to use as a shim/sleeve and so far it's been working great. Plus they won't wear out like the plastic ones. I can't remember if I got this idea from someone on here or not. (I don't want to take credit away from someone else!) By chance do you have a part number for the steering wheel you bought?

• KBuzz and Shiloh have said thanks

#5 Shiloh OFFLINE  

Shiloh
  • 16 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted May 15, 2016 - 11:39 AM

I've used the bearings from the front wheels. The 3/4" Inside diameter fits perfect on the steering shaft. I believe the O.D. of the bearing is 1-3/8". It's a little loose in the steering tube so I rolled up a thin piece of thin sheet metal to use as a shim/sleeve and so far it's been working great. Plus they won't wear out like the plastic ones. I can't remember if I got this idea from someone on here or not. (I don't want to take credit away from someone else!) By chance do you have a part number for the steering wheel you bought?

In the Steiner catalog it is number IHS860....Serviceable steering wheel 15" diam......Some say you can find them cheaper but I usually get my shipments from Stiener in about three days and they have a return policy just in case....thanks for the bearing tip I'm going to try that....

#6 Shiloh OFFLINE  

Shiloh
  • 16 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted May 15, 2016 - 12:37 PM

Speaking of using a wheel bearing for the steering column, I just bought this at Amazon for a buck 20 plus shipping ( wish I had prime now)

Regular Duty Flanged Wheel Bearings: 1 1/2 Flange, 3/4 I.D., 1 3/8 O.D., 150080' Bailey Hydraulics

Will report when I get it next week

#7 DMAX ONLINE  

DMAX

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 264
  • 182 Thanks
  • 70 posts

Posted May 18, 2016 - 07:44 AM

Here's what I did with the bearing. You can see how I made up a thin sleeve to take out the slop.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg

• KennyP and KBuzz have said thanks

#8 Shiloh OFFLINE  

Shiloh
  • 16 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted June 01, 2016 - 04:55 PM

There is progress on the "green MF10". I got the steering wheel off. put a bearing in the shaft..did not need a shim...and started to get the green off !! The new steering wheel is from Steiner and I have used a steering shaft grommet from a cub cadet..tight but it wll work..

m11.JPG m10.JPG

Edited by Shiloh, June 01, 2016 - 04:59 PM.

• limebuzz and KennyP have said thanks

#9 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,408 Thanks
  • 39,662 posts

Posted June 01, 2016 - 05:00 PM