• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 38,061 Thanks
  • 30,459 posts

Posted July 23, 2017 - 06:46 PM

What are you doing about using the rear PTO? Did you use the OEM setup and power it the way it was from the factory?

Sorry I've left you & everyone else hanging, but this project got put on hold.  To answer your question Brian, I am dropping the rear PTO completely.  By dropping the rear PTO and putting the engine in like a big tractor, I can lose the belt drive and drive the hydro via universal jointed driveshaft.  This also allows me to drop the engine lower, avoiding any raising of the dash tower.  I am building as a plow tractor anyway, so rear PTO isn't important to me.  Plus then I'll be able to sell the entire PTO drive-line, which will fund a large portion of remaining costs like new front tires and paint.  I did some tinkering today, and after I get the crud showered off me, I'll post progress.

• KennyP, SupplySergeant and pryan05 have said thanks

#32 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 38,061 Thanks
  • 30,459 posts

Posted July 23, 2017 - 07:44 PM

Today I finally did some work on this repower project.   I had Teresa drive the 720 while I pulled it down to my new shop.  Just too hot down in the old shop.  My previous post explained how I am orienting the engine, flywheel to the rear

Dropping the engine down into the frame required some frame cutting.  Once finished, this will all be welded up and braced so it will be as strong as original.  The engine will actually make the area more rigid as the engine will be bolted solid up front and to the bell housing.  I also found that dropping the engine and sliding it rearward creates enough room up front so there is room for the battery and the radiator/electric fan!  I will be able to use the original fuel tank as well, so doing a little cutting/welding solves a host of issues.

20170723_1756271.jpg 20170723_1756391.jpg 20170723_1917491.jpg 20170723_1918001.jpg

There is still almost a 2" rise from the hydro shaft to the crank center over 16" of length, but I've had that much angle before & all ran smooth, so I sure hope this runs smooth as well.  I can't drop the engine any farther, as the whole front end would have to be modified, and I do not want to get into that.

I will definitely be adding power steering.  I already pulled the steering gearbox out, which was a chore to remove!  Looks like I will be able to use the OE universal joints off the steering column to hook to the steering valve down low.  Luckily I already have the valve and a steering cylinder.

• Alc, KennyP, Cvans and 1 other said thanks

#33 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 5,775 Thanks
  • 5,736 posts

Posted July 23, 2017 - 11:59 PM

I also found that dropping the engine and sliding it rearward creates enough room up front so there is room for the battery and the radiator/electric fan!

That's going to make the project a lot easier. Seems like it was always a hassle to find a spot for the battery and fuel tank on my projects. Your tractor is larger than any of the ones I did and that's going to help also.

• olcowhand said thank you

#34 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 38,061 Thanks
  • 30,459 posts

Posted July 24, 2017 - 10:44 AM

I still may have to source a smaller air filter than either of the two I currently have, plus I haven't figured how to route the exhaust yet either.  I could put a stack, but would have to cut a slot in the side of the hood.  I'm thinking to see if I can route it downward, then have the muffler along the left frame, exiting toward the front.

• KennyP, Cvans, CRFarnsworth and 1 other said thanks

#35 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 38,061 Thanks
  • 30,459 posts

Posted July 24, 2017 - 12:30 PM

Nope, air filter assemblies on hand won't work.  Found a perfect one on ebay and it's paid for.

• KennyP, CRFarnsworth and SupplySergeant have said thanks

#36 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 38,061 Thanks
  • 30,459 posts

Posted July 24, 2017 - 08:47 PM

Not much time for the project today after getting Dad's yard mowed.  I did manage to get the left rear plate welded in where the bell housing bolts to.  I found the original front motor mounts I was afraid I'd misplaced, so that will save me some work drilling new plates.  Everything is aligning well.

• KennyP, Cvans and pryan05 have said thanks

#37 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 38,061 Thanks
  • 30,459 posts

Posted July 29, 2017 - 08:28 PM

Been doing a little more engine mount work.  Both rear bell housing mounting plates are welded in, plus the front mounts welded to the belly plate.  I will be welding in a piece to the front side of the front motor mounts to tie the mounts to the heavy front axle pivot framework.   Plus, at the rear mounts I will be boxing them in and the plate will be bolted to the engine side mount holes.

As pics show, plenty room for the battery and radiator up front, and the OE fuel tank.  The new air filter assembly will fit nicely....just need to make a bracket for it.

20170729_1923021.jpg 20170729_1923071.jpg 20170729_2003381.jpg 20170729_2004111.jpg

20170729_1923291.jpg

I've not figured out the exhaust yet, but there's a way, just gotta scratch my head a bit.

• Alc, KennyP, Cvans and 3 others have said thanks

#38 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 5,775 Thanks
  • 5,736 posts

Posted July 29, 2017 - 10:16 PM

just gotta scratch my head a bit.

Careful I went bald doing that. 

Your project is coming along nicely. Thanks for letting us follow along. 

• olcowhand and KennyP have said thanks

#39 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 12,967 Thanks
  • 9,523 posts

Posted July 29, 2017 - 10:21 PM

What's your plan for the old hydro cooler?

#40 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 38,061 Thanks
  • 30,459 posts

Posted July 29, 2017 - 10:28 PM

What's your plan for the old hydro cooler?

You needing one Scott?  I'll be using a flat cooler next to the radiator. 

#41 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 12,967 Thanks
  • 9,523 posts

Posted July 30, 2017 - 04:15 AM

Nope, just curious.

#42 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 38,061 Thanks
  • 30,459 posts

Posted July 30, 2017 - 03:14 PM

Been working on the engine mounts.  They are complete on the outside except for cleaning up the welds.  Once I pull the engine I have welds to finish on the inside of the mounts, and one added angle gusset for each inside mount as well.  It is coming along better and easier than I expected.

20170730_1502371.jpg 20170730_1545061.jpg

I have all I need to build a drive shaft, minus a 3/4" keyed "weld-a-hub" which I'll have to turn in my lathe to fit into a #6 Weasler yoke to make it fit the hydro input shaft.  At work they toss damaged fertilizer buggy PTO shafts, as it's not worth the time in labor to repair, so I have a few #6 U-joints, plus sections of shafting. 

As to an exhaust, unless I notch the hood, I'll have to use a U bent pipe to bring the exhaust out the open hood side.  That will require using a stator instead of an alternator, which is ok, but I prefer the alternator.  An alternator takes up the space a U pipe would need.  I'd have to wrap the U pipe where it passes behind the stator, or the stator would get fried from the heat. Jury still debating that one.

• KennyP, CRFarnsworth, SupplySergeant and 3 others have said thanks

#43 pryan05 OFFLINE  

pryan05

LGT

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 84973
  • 439 Thanks
  • 240 posts

Posted July 30, 2017 - 08:26 PM

For the exhaust I used a piece of square tubing to change the direction of the exhaust route.  A thick enough piece can be drilled and tapped to bolt right on your exhaust manifold than you can chose witch way you you like it to go.  So far so good with what I did.   You may gain the room you need for the hood.

SNC00351.jpg

• olcowhand, Cvans and SupplySergeant have said thanks

#44 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 38,061 Thanks
  • 30,459 posts

Posted July 30, 2017 - 08:31 PM

For the exhaust I used a piece of square tubing to change the direction of the exhaust route.  A thick enough piece can be drilled and tapped to bolt right on your exhaust manifold than you can chose witch way you you like it to go.  So far so good with what I did.   You may gain the room you need for the hood.

attachicon.gifSNC00351.jpg

My exhaust exits the top of the front of the manifold, but I could still use the square tubing mod, by welding 2 together to drop my exhaust to clear the hood.  There are also tapped bosses on the engine block side so I could add a brace to the tubing to lessen the load on the manifold.

• KennyP and SupplySergeant have said thanks

#45 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,198 Thanks
  • 2,275 posts

Posted August 02, 2017 - 08:34 AM

Great project and progress Daniel!  I'll have to get down there to see it one of these days  =]