Toro LX500 no auto braking when going downhill

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Elliesdad717 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 82919
  • 1 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted May 14, 2016 - 11:26 AM

Hello guys. I am new to this forum and would appreciate a little help. I have an LX500 that coasts downhill when mowing and I have to manually apply the brake to slow it down. It was like this when I bought it. The previous owner told me he replaced a part that had to do with the parking brake lever or cruise control lever and he thought he hooked it up incorrectly. I removed the gas tank and noticed the parking brake rod is not hooked up to anything at the bottom. I see a place where it could go but it doesn't seem to move anything, Aso the cruise control Rod is attached to a mechanism but also just flexes and moves nothing. I'd attach a pic but am not sure how to do so. Any answers out there? Thank you!
  • irisbh4 said thank you

#2 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8923
  • 9,454 Thanks
  • 7,345 posts

Posted May 14, 2016 - 01:25 PM

Welcome to GTT. I'm not familiar with that new of a Wheelhorse. Try our Manuals Section for the manual and see what it says. For posting pics, find the video that explains how.  Good Luck, Rick

Try this   http://gardentractor...service-manual/

Edited by boyscout862, May 14, 2016 - 01:29 PM.

• Auburn David said thank you

#3 GWest OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 130
  • 440 Thanks
  • 396 posts

Posted May 14, 2016 - 03:01 PM

Don't know anything about it but suspect this is the service manual for it

#4 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,457 Thanks
  • 6,346 posts

Posted May 14, 2016 - 04:46 PM

Most hydros do this unless you pull back towards reverse a little that I know. Case used to have a valve option to slow on hills, but was not on many older ones I have seen. Maybe new ones have some other sort of new hill descent feature I don't know about??  Any older Wheelhorse I've had did pretty good at slowing just by pulling back the drive lever as you went down or up hills. Cruise controls, I never had and not sure how those work at all. Not much help was I? 

#5 Elliesdad717 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 82919
  • 1 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted May 16, 2016 - 08:09 AM

Thanks guys. I did figure out attaching the e-brake, there was just a cotter pin missing. I'm going to try your shift lever suggestion glgrumpy. As you said maybe I don't have a problem at all. Thanks too for the manual links guys. They are great! Will let you know what I figure out. Thanks again.