• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#31 Brucepts OFFLINE  

Brucepts
  • Member No: 49949
  • 177 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted May 26, 2016 - 06:41 PM

Added the shank holders today and some material in the hitch area.

This is my first project with my new Mig welder, I upgraded from an old Harbor Freight 120v unit that was about 30yrs old to an Eastwood Mig 250 so my welds don't look the best while I learn all the speeds and power settings.

All that is left now are the angled supports from the hitch to the ripper bar with any luck I'll get those on tomorrow and then start ripping up some dirt!

Attached Thumbnails

• weld-3.jpg
  • weld-4.jpg

• Alc, KennyP, Bmerf and 3 others have said thanks

#32 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted May 26, 2016 - 08:47 PM

I like your idea on using the angle iron on each side of the slot to hold the pin. The sleeve part of your hitch did you use a piece of C channel or did you bend that. I'm glad your Eastwood welder is working good for you. I just had a bad experience with them on their mig 135. I got two over a three week period & both were damaged out of the box because of poor quality. Keep us posted
  • Bmerf and SupplySergeant have said thanks

#33 Brucepts OFFLINE  

Brucepts
  • 177 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted May 26, 2016 - 09:57 PM

I stole the angle design idea off the commercial units, that is how some hold the pin in place.

I purchased the "C" part of the sleeve hitch from an online vendor.

I saw your post on the Eastwood problems you had with the 135, I have their Tig 200 and I just bought the Mig 250 around the new year. I got a heck of a deal as they discounted it down from the package deal bundled with the 60A Plasma that was out of stock and they threw in a spool gun and cart. I was going to go back and get the plasma but ended up buying the Simadre 50DP. The wire feed mechanism is an aluminum casting on this unit, I'm only 45 minutes from the PA location so that is one of the reasons I purchased there, if I have problems I can run it back. Hoping there is no need. I'm a hobby fabricator so I could not see spending a lot of $$$$'s

Edited by Brucepts, May 26, 2016 - 09:57 PM.

• Alc, KennyP and Sawdust have said thanks

#34 Brucepts OFFLINE  

Brucepts
  • 177 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted May 27, 2016 - 05:37 PM

Last update for the welding pics, betcha all are glad for that :D

Hope to get some "dirt time" on Saturday . . . painting will have to wait, I wanna get my landscaping project done.

Attached Thumbnails

• weld-6.jpg
  • weld-7.jpg

• KennyP, Sawdust and CanadianHobbyFarmer have said thanks

#35 Brucepts OFFLINE  

Brucepts
  • 177 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted May 28, 2016 - 11:02 AM

Installed and working the dirt . . .

Went out and ripped up some dirt with this thing, worked as I expected, to hot to be outside playing around today for this old guy so only made a couple of passed on the high spots I want to work down. It will take a few more passes before it's ready to level out with the rake.

It digs right in and I hardly worked the tractor, I did not check the penetration depth but it was going down as far as I needed it to go. Probably going to drill a 4th hole for more adjustability in each shank at some point down the road, for now it works great as-is

I'm more than happy on how it turned out!

I am needing to also build a box scrapper and might incorporate that into an add-on for this ripper bar. I'll have to think about that some . . . enjoy!

Attached Thumbnails

• installed.jpg
  • installed-1.jpg
  • working.jpg
  • working-1.jpg
  • working-2.jpg
  • working-3.jpg

• coldone, Alc, wvbuzzmaster and 4 others have said thanks

#36 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted May 28, 2016 - 07:05 PM

Looks like it is working as planned!

#37 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,564 Thanks
  • 3,942 posts

Posted May 28, 2016 - 08:52 PM

It sure was cooking today. I saw 94° on the shady side of the house today. Looks like it does a great job.

#38 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted May 28, 2016 - 10:14 PM

I like that a lot especially how solid & close to the tractor it sits. I think some are made too far out creating a lot of side to side movement. Nice job & fun to follow. Like the footprint of those Tru Powers on your cub.

Edited by Sawdust, May 28, 2016 - 10:14 PM.

• michael.kitko and Brucepts have said thanks

#39 Brucepts OFFLINE  

Brucepts
  • 177 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted May 29, 2016 - 06:24 AM

I like that a lot especially how solid & close to the tractor it sits. I think some are made too far out creating a lot of side to side movement. Nice job & fun to follow. Like the footprint of those Tru Powers on your cub.

Thanks! That was my thought process while building this I wanted to keep it tight to the back of the tractor. I still have to figureout my lift settings based on all my hitches pivot holes so I can get an idea of depth settings and lift. This tractor is getting the Xtreme 4 hole bottom hitch plate, I did not get a chance to install it yet.

Those Tru Powers came on a Bolens tractor I purchased and I swapped them over to the Cub as I am trying to sell all my Bolens Tube Frames, they work but would not be my choice of tires, they are hard and pretty beat up with rounded edges but, the price was right and they do look good! :)

#40 michael.kitko OFFLINE  

michael.kitko
  • Member No: 28357
  • 472 Thanks
  • 445 posts

Posted May 29, 2016 - 06:30 PM

Very well done...looks very good. I might have to steal your idea and setup. The wife wants a very similar project done with some overgrown patches.

Mike "Squirrelly" Kitko
  • Brucepts said thank you

#41 Brucepts OFFLINE  

Brucepts
  • 177 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted May 30, 2016 - 06:16 AM

Very well done...looks very good. I might have to steal your idea and setup. The wife wants a very similar project done with some overgrown patches.

Mike "Squirrelly" Kitko

Not stealing it . . . I shared it so feel free to copy it or modify it as you need to :)

If I ever get a hankering to make a rear PTO I'm doing the same with your output shaft idea! :thumbs:

I love looking at home built attachments! Sparks lots of thoughts and I hope that is what sharing my ripper project does for everyone else!

Next on my list is a rear box blade made from a front 42" blade simply 1) because I already have it and 2) I'm to lazy/cheap to go get some steel bent for the blade surface. :D

Way back in my mind I'm also thinking about one of those Viking roller things and how I could make one of those, although I'll have this yard area seeded way before I would have that done.

• Alc and michael.kitko have said thanks

#42 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,564 Thanks
  • 3,942 posts

Posted May 30, 2016 - 06:24 AM

Watching this build renews my itch to build a sleeve hitch. Having the angle of lift that it gives kind of appeals to me.

#43 michael.kitko OFFLINE  

michael.kitko
  • Member No: 28357
  • 472 Thanks
  • 445 posts

Posted May 30, 2016 - 07:51 AM

Not stealing it . . . I shared it so feel free to copy it or modify it as you need to :)

If I ever get a hankering to make a rear PTO I'm doing the same with your output shaft idea! :thumbs:

I love looking at home built attachments! Sparks lots of thoughts and I hope that is what sharing my ripper project does for everyone else!

Next on my list is a rear box blade made from a front 42" blade simply 1) because I already have it and 2) I'm to lazy/cheap to go get some steel bent for the blade surface. :D

Way back in my mind I'm also thinking about one of those Viking roller things and how I could make one of those, although I'll have this yard area seeded way before I would have that done.

Make sure you share the box blade idea. I am interested in how you might do that. When you start it, be aware, I will be following that too.

Mike "Squirrelly" Kitko

#44 Brucepts OFFLINE  

Brucepts
  • 177 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted May 30, 2016 - 08:20 AM

Watching this build renews my itch to build a sleeve hitch. Having the angle of lift that it gives kind of appeals to me.

You know how to get to my place if you need help with anything! :thumbs: