• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,498 Thanks
  • 39,728 posts

Posted May 15, 2016 - 04:12 AM

Any discussion on the correct angle they work at? I would like to make them work as efficient as possible so I'm "all ears" on some thoughts or point me to a link for some educational reading?

My sleeve hitch has multiple holes for pivot height as well as adjustment for various lift height.

Currently the rippers are in their lowest adjustment hole and I've decided I will not have to drill any lower holes.

Thanks, having the equipment helps that is for sure!

I was always told to make sure you have nice stuff when they have your estate auction/sale when you are dead and gone so I am just trying to hold my end of that up! LOL

If the sleeve hitch will be horizontal when down, then make the mounting on that plane. Just make sure it will still let you lift out of the ground if the teeth are at max depth.

• Brucepts and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#17 holdenboy1960 OFFLINE  

holdenboy1960
  • Member No: 62113
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 819 posts

Posted May 15, 2016 - 08:34 AM

the 3 tine ......is looking good & some serious dirt work be happening  

#18 CanadianHobbyFarmer OFFLINE  

CanadianHobbyFarmer
  • Member No: 73571
  • 939 Thanks
  • 596 posts

Posted May 15, 2016 - 04:39 PM

I am working on converting a tow behind de-thatcher into a sleeve hitch de-thatcher/ dump rake. Because it will be run at different heights depending on whether I am dethatching or raking hay, I needed to make the angle adjustable so both rows of tines will be level with the ground. The picture below shows where I am with it at the moment. There will be a bracket on the tongue and another on the body of the rake. These will be connected by a turnbuckle to adjust the angle of the rake body. Something similar, but more robust might work for your ripper bar. Another option is in the second picture. Just picked them up this morning.

Jim

Attached Thumbnails

• 20160515_1714191.jpg
  • 20160515_1712021.jpg

• KennyP, Sawdust and Brucepts have said thanks

#19 Brucepts OFFLINE  

Brucepts
  • Member No: 49949
  • 177 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted May 15, 2016 - 07:16 PM

I am working on converting a tow behind de-thatcher into a sleeve hitch de-thatcher/ dump rake. Because it will be run at different heights depending on whether I am dethatching or raking hay, I needed to make the angle adjustable so both rows of tines will be level with the ground. The picture below shows where I am with it at the moment. There will be a bracket on the tongue and another on the body of the rake. These will be connected by a turnbuckle to adjust the angle of the rake body. Something similar, but more robust might work for your ripper bar. Another option is in the second picture. Just picked them up this morning.

Jim

Although I live in the country and have farms around me I'll pass on the second pic, I'm familiar with the smell that follows along with them! :thumbs:

• CanadianHobbyFarmer said thank you

#20 CanadianHobbyFarmer OFFLINE  

CanadianHobbyFarmer
  • Member No: 73571
  • 939 Thanks
  • 596 posts

Posted May 15, 2016 - 08:49 PM

Are you saying you don't like the smell of bacon? LOL!

Jim

• jpackard56 said thank you

#21 Brucepts OFFLINE  

Brucepts
  • 177 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted May 17, 2016 - 06:52 AM

Are you saying you don't like the smell of bacon? LOL!

Jim

I like bacon just not the smell before it becomes bacon! LOL

My project is on hold for about a week . . . waiting on a Plasma Cutter to show up that I purchased Monday to assist in future fabrication projects as well as this one :D

I'm tired of the dust from the cut-off wheels and time it takes, been wanting a Plasma for sometime now but wasn't sure. Spent all day Sunday afternoon/evening reading and videos on all I could find on various ones and decided to gamble on a less expensive import (since they are almost all made over there anyways) I ordered a Simadra 50DP from a well respected eBay vendor. I had my eye on the 60amp model from Eastwood but couldn't see spending almost twice as much for something I would only use a couple times a month for hobby work???? I'll do a review in the Tool Shed when I get a chance.

Edited by Brucepts, May 18, 2016 - 07:35 PM.

• KennyP, Sawdust and CanadianHobbyFarmer have said thanks

#22 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,317 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted May 17, 2016 - 08:33 AM

https://www.google.c...463577983150310

I bought one of these several years ago (6 or 7 ?) and use it quite a bit. The only problem I have had with it is from burning holes in the airline to the head. I patch those up with electrical tape. It is to the point now where I need to replace it.

Order the extra consumables from ebay. You can get a big batch cheap. The starter pack wont last long 

• Brucepts said thank you

#23 Brucepts OFFLINE  

Brucepts
  • 177 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted May 17, 2016 - 06:20 PM

Snuck in some time on this project today, figured I could start some layout work on the sleeve to ripper attachment. My plan is to box the area between the sleeve and the shank tube.

All pictures show the attachment from the bottom side

Attached Thumbnails

• ripper-4.jpg
  • ripper-5.jpg
  • ripper-6.jpg
  • ripper-7.jpg

• wvbuzzmaster, KennyP and michael.kitko have said thanks

#24 michael.kitko OFFLINE  

michael.kitko
  • Member No: 28357
  • 472 Thanks
  • 445 posts

Posted May 17, 2016 - 06:53 PM

Snuck in some time on this project today, figured I could start some layout work on the sleeve to ripper attachment. My plan is to box the area between the sleeve and the shank tube.

All pictures show the attachment from the bottom side

Can I ask a quick question...I see you have the same magnet I do. Does it also have the grinding dust fur? It looks like it does, but if it doesn't, is there any tricks to keeping those clean?

Mike "Squirrelly" Kitko
  • KennyP said thank you

#25 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,498 Thanks
  • 39,728 posts

Posted May 18, 2016 - 05:51 AM

Can I ask a quick question...I see you have the same magnet I do. Does it also have the grinding dust fur? It looks like it does, but if it doesn't, is there any tricks to keeping those clean?

Mike "Squirrelly" Kitko

Mine get that a lot! I rap them against a wooden table to lose most of it. Rest gets wiped off or blown off.

• michael.kitko and Brucepts have said thanks

#26 Brucepts OFFLINE  

Brucepts
  • 177 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted May 18, 2016 - 06:33 AM

Mine get that a lot! I rap them against a wooden table to lose most of it. Rest gets wiped off or blown off.

I do the same with mine, wipe or blow off. I usually wipe the mating surface off with a rag before I use them so they sit square to my parts.

I picked up the welding table last year at Harbor Freight using the 20% discount when it was on sale, not the best quality but great for the home shop for occasional use, off the top of my head I think it was less than or around $50?

Edited by Brucepts, May 18, 2016 - 06:35 AM.

• KennyP said thank you

#27 crittersf1 ONLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted May 18, 2016 - 02:01 PM

Dollar shave club can fix the "fuzzies" :hitting_self_roller:

• KennyP, michael.kitko and Brucepts have said thanks

#28 michael.kitko OFFLINE  

michael.kitko
  • Member No: 28357
  • 472 Thanks
  • 445 posts

Posted May 20, 2016 - 09:02 AM

Dollar shave club can fix the "fuzzies" :hitting_self_roller:

That's good...LOL...

Mike "Squirrelly" Kitko

#29 Brucepts OFFLINE  

Brucepts
  • 177 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted May 20, 2016 - 07:36 PM

This new toy . . .  er I mean tool showed up today!

plasma.jpg

Have to get it setup and do some practicing cuts and then get back on fabrication.

I'm going to start a new post in the Tool Shed about this unit, doesn't seem to be alot on the net about it.

• Alc and KennyP have said thanks

#30 Brucepts OFFLINE  

Brucepts
  • 177 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted May 25, 2016 - 08:05 PM

Got some cutting and welding done today.

Attached Thumbnails

• weld.jpg
  • weld-1.jpg
  • weld-2.jpg

• MH81, Alc, EricR and 3 others have said thanks