• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,661 Thanks
  • 28,314 posts

Posted May 15, 2011 - 10:01 AM

Looking Good Al!

Here's a link to some Asparagus plant care information out of an old out of print book.
Asparagus - Manuals - Garden Tractor Talk - Forums

#17 poncho62 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 42
  • 619 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted May 15, 2011 - 10:22 AM

I have a couple of asparagus plants that have been in 2 years, this is the 3rd....Last year I got a couple off each.....They are just shooting up this morning....

Last year I planted 10 more crowns, smaller ones are shooting up.....I'm in Canada, so things are slower growing here...and its been cold and wet

#18 Dirtdoc OFFLINE  

• Member No: 4434
  • 12 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted July 05, 2011 - 11:18 PM

To plant asparagus, try this....this fall dig a trench 6" deep, fill it with manure and leave exposed to the weather all winter. In the spring cover manure with 2" of dirt and then place your roots on top of this. Cover the roots with 3 inches of dirt. As the asparagus grows, keep covering with dirt until you have about a 6" mound. Keep them weeded and don't pick any in year 1. You need 6" of dirt covering the roots so you get nice thick stems. If the stems are small, you need more dirt on top. Year 2 it's okay to pick for 2 weeks. Year 3 you can extend that about 10 more days. Year 4 pick for 6 weeks. It helps to apply some nitrogen during dormacy. Hope this helps...Greg
  • Bolens 1000, MH81 and Alc have said thanks